British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   moving to NZ from canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/moving-nz-canada-476863/)

Maple Leaf Aug 25th 2007 9:32 pm

moving to NZ from canada

hello!..i am an australian citizen and a Canadian Permanent Resident..married to a Canadian Citizen.

my husband and i ...would like to ask..if anyone can tell us....if the company he presently works for here in Canada...has job openings in NZ......and he applies......and is successful are we able to move there as a family....??? does the company need to sponsor him/? or is the job offer enough.....does he apply for a work permit..?? or how does it work..?

This has just come to light for us..as his company has 2 positions in NZ he is eligible for. If we were able to do this it would mean i would be able to live closer to my beloved family in australia...and he and his kids get the opportunity to live in another country!...any advice...knowledge etc...greatly appreciated!....:):):thumbup:
PS i have searched through the threads here and searched the NZ immigration site etc..but am not clear on how it all works..:)

BEVS Aug 25th 2007 9:58 pm

Re: moving to NZ from canada

Hi there Mapleleaf. Welcome to the NZ forum.

First things first then. Couple of questions for you.

1] What work does your husband do.
2] Does he have qualifications
3] What is the name of the company - I ask that as it may be an NZ acredited company

Maple Leaf Aug 25th 2007 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5235149)
Hi there Mapleleaf. Welcome to the NZ forum.

First things first then. Couple of questions for you.

1] What work does your husband do.
2] Does he have qualifications
3] What is the name of the company - I ask that as it may be an NZ acredited company

hmmm very difficult to answer that question here..as it is a high security level company he works for...and i wouldn't be able to publicly display it here.. (confidential reasons).......

however i can say he has worked with them for 6 years here...and has excellent skills and qualifications within it......sorry i am a bit all up in the air about all this as we didnt' even ever think this may be a possibility.

will do some more exploring around and see what sense i can make of the visas situations...:)..thanks so much for answering!

happynz Aug 26th 2007 1:06 am

Well, as an Aussie you have zero problems in entering and leaving as you wish and getting work here with whomever wishes to employ you. If your husband's company wishes to employ him they ought to be able to sponsor him for a work visa and he will be given a work permit upon arrival. Work visas (from which you will be issued a permit upon arrival) can be of any length up to three years.

If he goes for a one year work visa there will be no need for police clearances or medical certificates. However, to extend or to apply for a work visa longer than twelve months the police clearances and medical certificates will be required. As an Aussie, I think it's not required for you. His children will not require police clearances if they are (I believe) 16 years of age. Better check that. His kids will also get student visas as a part of being dependents, that is if they are under eighteen years old.

If you are thinking of applying for permanent residency your first step is to check and see if you have enough points. New Zealand Immigration Service has a point calculator which will give you an idea if you have enough points. As your husband will have a job offer and experience in his field I would anticipate that you would have little difficulty in qualifying.

So, the steps are basically (very basically, mind you) submit your Expression of Interest (EOI) from which there is a draw every fortnight. If your EOI passes muster you will be notified and you will be sent an Invitation to Apply (ITA) where you will be asked to provide evidence of the claims you have made on you EOI. You will also need police clearances and medical certificates done. You submit the ITA, a whack of dollars and if all goes well you will be asked to further enrich New Zealand's coffers and blue permanent residency stickers will be placed in your passports. Be aware this is the short form. It is a tad more difficult, but these are the basic steps.

Any questions, ask here. Many on this site will be able to answer your questions or steer you in the right direction.

Good luck, bon chance and buena suerte.

JAJ Aug 26th 2007 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf (Post 5235099)
hello!..i am an australian citizen and a Canadian Permanent Resident..married to a Canadian Citizen.

my husband and i ...would like to ask..if anyone can tell us....if the company he presently works for here in Canada...has job openings in NZ......and he applies......and is successful are we able to move there as a family....??? does the company need to sponsor him/? or is the job offer enough.....does he apply for a work permit..?? or how does it work..?

This has just come to light for us..as his company has 2 positions in NZ he is eligible for. If we were able to do this it would mean i would be able to live closer to my beloved family in australia...and he and his kids get the opportunity to live in another country!...any advice...knowledge etc...greatly appreciated!....:):):thumbup:

As an Australian citizen you have automatic permanent residence in New Zealand. You should be able to sponsor your husband and his kids for a spouse visa (although it's not clear whether you'd need to be living in NZ first, and there may also be a minimum marriage period).

If he can qualify for a skilled migration visa on his own merits that's another route.

After 5 years permanent residence, you could all become New Zealand citizens.

Have you got your Canadian citizenship yet?

Maple Leaf Aug 26th 2007 7:02 pm

a BIG thank you to everyone!!

JaJ~....no i am not a canadian citizen. i received my Canadian PR in January of this year. it has been a thought that ASAP i will apply for citizenship for here..which in itself is another longggg process!

i have found Partnership Policy in the New Zealand Immigrations Manual here

it does indeed apear that i would have to be living and working in New Zealand to be able to sponsor husband and his kids to go there.>

F2.20.5 Evidence that New Zealand is the primary place of established residence http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NZIS/...anual/7588.htm

Evidence that New Zealand is the sponsor's primary place of established residence may include but is not limited to original or certified copies of:
correspondence addressed to the sponsor
employment records
records of benefit payments from the Ministry of Social Development
banking records
rates demands
Inland Revenue Department records
mortgage documents
tenancy and utility supply agreements
documents showing that the sponsor's household effects have been moved to New Zealand.
The presence or absence of any of the documents listed above is not determinative. Each case will be decided on the basis of all the evidence provided.

of course it would be lovely if someone could come along and prove otherwise...;)

Also...you are very right...as an Australian Cit..and holder of an Autralian Passport..i would have the right to apply to sponsor my husband and kids..if i met the residency requirements. As in living in NZ.....

soooo please someone come along and say ..a job offer for Me in NZ is enough and i dont' need to be actualy living there:D

i will add we are not looking at wanting to do this now...but maybe in a year or so......however....we just never know do we...as the company he works for is there...however...they will not do sponsorship...we know this for a fact as they are in Australia aswell....BUT in Australia you need more than a job offer...to go there......OR do you..??? i will have to look further into that......hmmmmmmmmm