British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Moving to NZ but need some advice! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/moving-nz-but-need-some-advice-757271/)

BrokenZ May 5th 2012 4:55 pm

Moving to NZ but need some advice!

Hi,

I'm leaving for NZ (Queenstown) in a few months and i'm trying to plan out a course of action. I have opted to go for a 23mth travel permit/visa first.

I've got a university degree in Graphic Design and have worked in the industry, I also have various recognised qualifications to guide cyclists and maintain bicycles.. From what i've read these qualifications seem favourable on the points system.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to go about citizenship if I like the country after that period. I'm guessing finding temp work and then securing a work visa would be the logical first step. Based on my qualifications would I then go down the route of permanent residency, or work to residency having potentially worked for a company that would like to take me on long term.

I'm heading out alone, so really want to clear some of the confusion before I leave, and make sure I have everything I need.

Thanks!

RobDon May 5th 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Moving to NZ but need some advice!

Originally Posted by BrokenZ (Post 10043275)
Hi,

I'm leaving for NZ (Queenstown) in a few months and i'm trying to plan out a course of action. I have opted to go for a 23mth travel permit/visa first.

I've got a university degree in Graphic Design and have worked in the industry, I also have various recognised qualifications to guide cyclists and maintain bicycles.. From what i've read these qualifications seem favourable on the points system.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to go about citizenship if I like the country after that period. I'm guessing finding temp work and then securing a work visa would be the logical first step. Based on my qualifications would I then go down the route of permanent residency, or work to residency having potentially worked for a company that would like to take me on long term.

I'm heading out alone, so really want to clear some of the confusion before I leave, and make sure I have everything I need.

Thanks!

You need to have had PR for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship. ;)
Your WHV will allow you to work in any type of job for a maximum 12 months, then you can go down the work permit/PR route with the relevant skills etc....
Once you have your PR you then have to live here for a full 5 years before you can apply for citizenship. HTH.

Persephone May 6th 2012 7:37 am

Originally Posted by BrokenZ (Post 10043275)
Hi,

Thanks!

As Robdon said, citizenship is a long way into the future! You need residency first.
Which visa you go for depends on your situation at the time, you may not have a choice as to what you can apply for. If you want to stay longterm then the SMC is the way to go [gets you residency faster than WTR] but this depends on your points total and what is being selected for at the time. You can apply for WTR but there are conditions that the job offer must fulfill in order to apply for this visa.
There is no need to get a temp work visa beforehand unless the employer wants you to start work sooner than a SMC application will take to be processed.
You can apply for any of these visas before your WHV runs out if you want to.

Things you will need for a SMC/WTR application: degree certificate, LONG birth certificate [easier to obtain whilst still in the UK], your NI no.. I can't think of anything else you'll need off the top of my head that you wouldn't already have with you eg passport:lol:

BrokenZ May 7th 2012 11:18 am

Thank you for your posts, I've read a lot over the last few months, some of which has been conflicting.

I guess my approach to residency depends on how I settle in initially. Although longer, a WTR might be worthwhile if I find a job I enjoy that wouldn't necessarily meet SMC requirements. Either way it's nice to have cleared that up a little.

& thanks for the tip on the 'Long' birth certificate. I'll have to double check mine and attempt to find my degree certificate before I leave!

Persephone May 7th 2012 11:28 am

No point going for an expensive visa if you're not sure!

Bear in mind that there are quite a few conditions to a WTR visa and your job offer would have to fit into one of the categories. It is not a visa that you can get just through having any job.

The long birth certificate: Mine cost about £7 4 years ago, I applied for it at the registry office in the town in which I was born.

BrokenZ May 9th 2012 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10045772)
No point going for an expensive visa if you're not sure!

Bear in mind that there are quite a few conditions to a WTR visa and your job offer would have to fit into one of the categories. It is not a visa that you can get just through having any job.

The long birth certificate: Mine cost about £7 4 years ago, I applied for it at the registry office in the town in which I was born.

Thanks again for the tips.

Are you suggesting it would be better to send through an EOI (I easily meet the 100 points recommended) and look to head over with an SMC, should I be approved?
I was under the impression I would need a job offer prior to leaving the UK, that's why I was looking at the WHV option. Reading into it though, it looks like I could head over with a Job search visa via and SMC application. If I did find a job while in NZ on a job search visa, but it wasn't related to the trade I got my points for would I lose residency or be allowed to stay? I only say this because the graphic design world is quite cut throat.

Good to know that should I need it, the certificate won't cost an arm and a leg!

Thanks

Persephone May 10th 2012 2:06 am

Originally Posted by BrokenZ (Post 10050784)
Thanks again for the tips.

Are you suggesting it would be better to send through an EOI (I easily meet the 100 points recommended) and look to head over with an SMC, should I be approved?
I was under the impression I would need a job offer prior to leaving the UK, that's why I was looking at the WHV option. Reading into it though, it looks like I could head over with a Job search visa via and SMC application. If I did find a job while in NZ on a job search visa, but it wasn't related to the trade I got my points for would I lose residency or be allowed to stay? I only say this because the graphic design world is quite cut throat.

Good to know that should I need it, the certificate won't cost an arm and a leg!

Thanks

What I meant was that a job offer for a WTR visa does have to fulfill certain conditions and fit into one of a number of categories. Any old job won't do.

Just having over 100pts on the EOI will not necessarily give you a good chance of selection but if you have a high enough points total then you can be selected without a job offer. You only get a Jobsearch visa after applying via the SMC, being selected, returning the ITA and NZIS deciding to grant you this instead of residency. SMC applications without a job offer do not necessarily lead to a jobsearch visa rather than residency.

If you have a job search visa then the job should fit in with your job as described on the EOI, you have to work in it for 3m before you can claim for residency.
If you're thinking of trying this route then you need to work out your points total and have a look at the history of selection points on the NZIS website-this gives you an idea of how likely you are to be selected.:)

BrokenZ May 10th 2012 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10051639)
What I meant was that a job offer for a WTR visa does have to fulfill certain conditions and fit into one of a number of categories. Any old job won't do.

Just having over 100pts on the EOI will not necessarily give you a good chance of selection but if you have a high enough points total then you can be selected without a job offer. You only get a Jobsearch visa after applying via the SMC, being selected, returning the ITA and NZIS deciding to grant you this instead of residency. SMC applications without a job offer do not necessarily lead to a jobsearch visa rather than residency.

If you have a job search visa then the job should fit in with your job as described on the EOI, you have to work in it for 3m before you can claim for residency.
If you're thinking of trying this route then you need to work out your points total and have a look at the history of selection points on the NZIS website-this gives you an idea of how likely you are to be selected.:)

Excellent, the government website can get a tad frustrating! Your last few posts have really helped fill the gaps.

I also fit into the silver fern category, although I would have to postpone my trip and have a lot of luck!!

I'm sure i'll have some more questions down the line, thanks for your help :)

HeatherGirl May 15th 2012 5:41 pm

BrokenZ - you mentioned taking your degree cert with you - make sure you also take a copy of your degree transcript as immi ask for this - prob easier to get from UK rather than when you get to NZ.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

Persephone May 16th 2012 12:36 am

Originally Posted by HeatherGirl (Post 10062282)
BrokenZ - you mentioned taking your degree cert with you - make sure you also take a copy of your degree transcript as immi ask for this - prob easier to get from UK rather than when you get to NZ.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

Do they request that for certain degrees, qualifications or subjects? They did not request a transcript from me- a degree certificate was enough.

scrubbedexpat094 May 16th 2012 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10063016)
Do they request that for certain degrees or subjects? They did not request a transcript from me- a degree certificate was enough.

I've just applied to do a couple of courses at AUT & they wanted a transcript of my degree course. After numerous phonecalls to & fro to Blighty I wasn't able to get one due to it being some 21 years ago ;). AUT accepted that in the end. It would certainly be easier to get one whilst in the UK but I can't think why immigration would want this :confused:

Persephone May 16th 2012 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10063024)
I've just applied to do a couple of courses at AUT & they wanted a transcript of my degree course. After numerous phonecalls to & fro to Blighty I wasn't able to get one due to it being some 21 years ago ;). AUT accepted that in the end. It would certainly be easier to get one whilst in the UK but I can't think why immigration would want this :confused:

All I could think of was that it could be for certain vocational courses/qualifications rather than degree courses as such. Unless it is for some of the jobs on the LTSSL where extra points are awarded and where the degree name may not match up to the job description:unsure:

What's AUT?

scrubbedexpat094 May 16th 2012 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10063046)
All I could think of was that it could be for certain vocational courses/qualifications rather than degree courses as such. Unless it is for some of the jobs on the LTSSL where extra points are awarded and where the degree name may not match up to the job description:unsure:

What's AUT?

Auckland University of Technology.

HeatherGirl May 16th 2012 8:58 am

It says in the ITA, fresh in my mind as I've just submitted, that you have to supply qualification certificates, including course transcripts. I did it for my BA and my husband for his ONC (his was a list of modules). Perhaps not as important for Marc as he'd already had a qualification assessment from EWRB (for electricians) and we had a letter stating they were acceptable to gain limited licence.

Perhaps they'll accept just a certificate, but I would include more rather than less when submitting as it can hold up your visa app. if you've missed something out.