Moving to NZ -

Old May 27th 2013, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Dean-e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to NZ -

My Wife and I are going to move to NZ at the end of the year -

I need some advice -

I am 32 and have almost 10 years experience as an IT Helpdesk Engineer \ Network Engineer \ IT Manager.

I am trying get a visa straight away (12 months working visa) and will then apply for a more permanent visa after we get job.

Im in a catch22 situation where i would qualify for a visa once I have a job offer. Has anyone else been in this situation?

I was wondering on time frames and costs for the 12 month visa - I am thinking about using a agent to assist us with getting a job and visa. Has anyone used some one good and could explain the costs and process.

Any help and advise would be much appreciated

thanks
Old May 27th 2013, 9:55 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to NZ -

Hello Dean and welcome

Are you from the UK? What 12 month visa are you applying for? Do you have any academic qualifications? You are over 30, so a WHV is not available. A BUNAC visa might be worth you having a look at.

In general, this is the options open to you. You can apply for a work visa, if you have a a job offer in a position that is deemed "skilled" by immigration. Your IT background should be sufficient to meet this criteria. Your job needs to offer a salary of over $55,000 year and your employer must show they have made reasonable steps to make the job available to the local job market.

While it is possible to secure a job offer before you arrive, it is pretty unlikely. So you have the tricky choice of coming here and hope to secure a job when in New Zealand.

A immigration agent can be useful in "difficult" cases, but for most people I would advise they are better off doing the paperwork themselves.

Beware any agent offering you a job. They are not in a position to offer anyone employment, either directly or indirectly. They just want your money.
Old May 27th 2013, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi - Thanks for the quick response -

I was just going for a skilled working visa - sadly im 32 now so WHV wouldnt apply.

I've read about the BUNCA visa but dont understand the IEP visa. I'll send an email to them and ask for some information.

I've also been told that I wouldnt be able to look for a job on a holiday visa. And they dont recommend it. But from a quick reading on the IEP visa I could take any job anywhere.

I've been applying for jobs but not really getting far at the moment .

Do you think its advisable to just go to NZ and look for a job?
Old May 27th 2013, 10:16 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly NO need for an agent, complete waste of time and money. the one we discussed some things with gave us incorrect information to seemingly make it look harder than it was. We simply called/visited NZ house and asked the guys there.

What points are you getting?

You may find lots of positive chatter from employment agencies but IT over here is about face to face meets to see if you will fit into the company rather than what's on paper. Interviews initially are meets for coffee and have a chat. My husband is in IT and found it very frustrating trying to obtain an offer of work in the UK so came over, went to an IT expo, went to agencies he had made contact with to say Look I'm here what you got for me. He arrived on the Tuesday, spoke to agencies Wednesday had some interviews arranged for Thursday, attended Expo gave out business card, had interview Thursday afternoon, second interview Friday, got job offer, spent Friday afternoon at Immigration getting a temp work visa. Updated his EOI to include job offer, took over the magic 140 so selection was assured. Started work the following Monday. Been in the country less than a week. Was actually supposed to fly home but didn't and myself and the kids followed 4mths later after tying up loose ends in UK.
Old May 27th 2013, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mrs Fychan,

Thanks for the response - Sounds like agents are a wast of money -

Congrats on the move - I'm hoping that its that simple for me. I'm worried about just jumping on a plane without having the offer of a job. But as I say its catch 22.

My points come in around 90 without a job offer but with an offer in IT would take me over the 140.

What visa did your husband go to NZ with? I spoke with a agency and they said that I shouldnt come over on a holiday visa and look for work.

Where did he go to the Expo? was it in the UK or NZ?

Thanks
Old May 27th 2013, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Oh my Qualifications are in IT are CompTIA Network+, Server+ and Security+, ITIL Foundation, Prince2 Foundation and Practitioner.
Old May 27th 2013, 10:30 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Coming over on a vistors visa specifically to look for work, is in violation of the terms of a vistors visa and as such we can not advise you doing so.

However, that's exactly what I did back when we first arrived.

Allegedly.
Old May 27th 2013, 10:37 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire View Post
Coming over on a vistors visa specifically to look for work, is in violation of the terms of a vistors visa and as such we can not advise you doing so.

However, that's exactly what I did back when we first arrived.

Allegedly.
We also came on 'holiday' and went away with job offers .......allegedly
Old May 27th 2013, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

LOL - Thanks for the Advice - We are going for a break in Thailand for a fee months before we go - Looks like I'll be taking a holiday in New Zealand for a couple of weeks......
Old May 27th 2013, 10:52 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

there are two differing opinions in two government agencies on people coming over on holiday visas to look for work. Immigration at the airport may well send you home if they believe that is your intention. so don't bring paper copies of CV, don't make it obvious and you should be fine.

husband came over as he was between jobs in UK to meet up with someone he met on facebook, yeh don't ask , for 4 weeks and has always wanted to emigrate so took the opportunity before to make contact with agencies and have a look round and show his face about.
The IT Expo was in Wellington, NZ. he got a couple of coffee met invitations from that and one he attended but was told nothing for him at the moment but they did have something coming up that they would be interesting in talking him about but the next day he got the job offer so that didn't go any further.
Old May 27th 2013, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Again thanks for the help - I did speak to an agency but they where really annoyed when I said about just coming over and looking for work.