Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Moving back to New Zealand with British partner and girl with mild autism

Moving back to New Zealand with British partner and girl with mild autism

Old Apr 2nd 2018, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Mattyboy1109 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to New Zealand with British partner and girl with mild autism

Dear all,

Was wondering if someone could help, I'm British born, but with New Zealand citizenship as I grew up in NZ.

My partner (who is British) and i have been thinking about moving to NZ or Aus for a little while and I believe I'm entitled to bring my partner (wife if need be) and her children back to NZ to live with me, however I wanted to check if they could refuse her child with mild autism the right to stay?

She does go to a special school currently as the facilities are very good here in the Netherlands, but she could go to a mainstream school.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Matthew
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving back to New Zealand with British partner and girl with mild autism

Forgot to mention that my mother and step father still live in New Zealand, not sure if that makes any difference or not, but we would have a support network.

Also, the girl with ASD is 12, 13 in a few months. Does it get easier for acceptance if the number of years of schooling still required are few?
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 6:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Moving back to New Zealand with British partner and girl with mild autism

First questions & I am in a hirry so not being blunt as such. Just in a hurry.

1 - Is this your officially adopted child?
2 - If not, does the child's father give leave to remove.
3 - Was the child 'statemented' to the school please ( either Nz or Netherlands) or is that a voluntary move

I've worked with autistic and asperger boys. The spectrum is wide.

4 -Without bias: Have you considered that the support in NZ for these often bright children is not the same level as available in the Europe. Even dyslexia was not recognised until relatively recently. It takes a very special type of approach to bring full potential.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your response Bevs,

1: No, the child is my partners.
2: Yes, the father gives permission.
3: It was voluntary, we considered mainstream schools as she is just changing schools to a higher level at the moment, but there are good schools here that are better suited to her needs.

4: Her education and giving her the best chance in life is obviously the most important thing, we were thinking that we could wait a few years until her schooling is finished or nearly finished.