Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Auckland 2015 Visa help!! Other one got removed!!

Moving to Auckland 2015 Visa help!! Other one got removed!!

Old May 14th 2014, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Amy2308 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Moving to Auckland 2015 Visa help!! Other one got removed!!

Hello all

My partner, my son and myself are hoping to make the move out to Auckland next year after my son turns 5.

I have been researching visas but i am very confused!!

My partner and I are not married and my son is not his.

I believe he will be ok coming over on a working holiday visa, he is a plasterer.

I am a PQ management accountant but as afr as i understand if i get a working holiday visa i can not bring my son?

Anyone any advice on what VISA's will be best for our situation?

Many Thanks
Amy

ps last post was banned due to my email address being my user name!! Ooopppss
Old May 14th 2014, 3:39 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Auckland 2015 Visa help!! Other one got removed!!

Hello and welcome to BE,

I'll try and help.

My partner, my son and myself are hoping to make the move out to Auckland next year after my son turns 5.
Is there any particular reason for Auckland? The reason I'm asking is that as a plasterer Christchurch may be a better option in terms of getting a permanent/longer visa.
Is the intention to stay longterm?

I have been researching visas but i am very confused!!
Perfectly normal! I take it you've looked here : http://www.immigration.govt.nz/
There are actually not that many possibles but it can seem confusing at first

Plasterers are on the Canterbury Skills Shortage List which means that an employee can be offered a job and be issued a work visa without a need to prove that no NZers can do the job. But it means moving to Christchurch...
My partner and I are not married and my son is not his.
Not being married is fine, NZIS are interested in whether your relationship is genuine and that you are living together rather than a marriage certificate. In fact a marriage certificate in itself is not enough proof for them.
Depending on your circumstances you may need permission from your son's father to take him out of the country. NZIS will require proof that you have this permission or proof that you don't need it. There are lots of threads on this and when/why etc. I'm not up on the ins and outs so someone else will hopefully come along and advise you on that.

I believe he will be ok coming over on a working holiday visa, he is a plasterer.
I am a PQ management accountant but as afr as i understand if i get a working holiday visa i can not bring my son?
He can come over on a WHV which allows him to do temporary work. If your intention is to stay longterm than you will need visas that allow you to do this. It is unlikely that you will be able to get such a visa without a job offer in place. One thing about the WHV is that you have a visa so can start work.
You cannot bring children over if you're on a WHV, you are correct so the WHV is not an option for you unless you can persuade someone to babysit your son for 12-23 months.

If your partner came over on a WHV, you and your son could come over as visitors for up to 6 months but there is the issue of schooling and your not working to deal with. Or he comes over, finds a job and applies for a work visa of some sort and then you apply for a work visa under partnership and a study visa for your son.

ps last post was banned due to my email address being my user name!! Ooopppss
Best to keep your email address private-there's some odd ones out there
Old May 14th 2014, 3:56 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I've just had a look and accountant is on the Immediate Skills Shortage List. Are you intending to work? Does this apply to you? : http://www.immigration.govt.nz/templ...=Guest&level=3
You could always be the primary candidate if so.

Apart from the WHV, your main options for visas are:

1 Essential Skills Work Visa: you can only apply if you have a job offer in place. The visa is temporary and does not lead to residency. If the job is on any of the skills shortage lists then the employer is free to offer a job without the need for a labour market test and proof that no NZer is able to do the job.
The partner without a job offer and your son would apply for a partnership based work visa and a study visa respectively

To stay permanently, you would need residency which is via either of the two visas below:

2 Work To Residence
: As plasterers and accountants are not on the LTSSL then the only way to get a WTR visa is via the Talent[accredited employers] WTR stream. The job must be for an accredited employer [approved by NZIS to hire from overseas], for at least two years, at least 30 hr per week and pay >$55,000 for a 40hr week.
After working in the job for two years, you 'convert' it to residency. The partner and son apply for separate work and study visas, as above, until residency is granted.

3 Skilled Migrant Category: Points based application for residency. You can be issued this visa without a job offer but many people need one to succeed. Basically, if you score less than 140 points then you will need a job offer to stand any chance of your application going further [currently]. Most points are awarded for age, qualifications and work experience.
You must have lived together [and be able to prove it] for at least 12 months for you all to apply on the same application form. No need for separate visas like 1 and 2.

Hope I haven't confused you more!
P

Last edited by Persephone; May 14th 2014 at 3:58 pm.
Old May 15th 2014, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Amy2308 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Persephone for your reply very informative indeed.

Firstly the plan is to stay long term.

I think the best idea is for me to go as primary candidiate so that my son is not missing out on schooling etc. I am wanting to work full time the thought of being at home 24/7 with a 5 year old scares the hell out of me!!! :

I have booked on a 'working in' conference in September so hoping that should be informative on visas and our options but from what you have said it seems the best way is maybe to secure a job offer before hand?

As for location we always fancied Auckland due to better housing and better job availability although we wold not rule out canterbury.

Thanks again for the info, very much appreciated
Old May 15th 2014, 11:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

FWIW Don't bother with any immy conference. Most seem to be a complete waste of time. from what is written. Certainly for us too.

Just ask here, for free, and when you know what is what, for free, then move forward.

Perse has given you an excellent starting point. Come back with any further queries .
Old May 15th 2014, 5:52 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by Amy2308
I think the best idea is for me to go as primary candidiate so that my son is not missing out on schooling etc. I am wanting to work full time the thought of being at home 24/7 with a 5 year old scares the hell out of me!!! :

As for location we always fancied Auckland due to better housing and better job availability although we wold not rule out canterbury.

It wouldn't matter who was primary candidate. Go with whoever gets a job and can apply for a visa for all of you.

If one partner gets a job offer and gets a work or WTR visa, the other applies for an 'open' work visa under partnership [can work anywhere] and your son gets a study visa, so no problems with schooling etc whichever way round you do it

If you're on a WTR visa, you can work for two years and all apply for residency then or apply to become residents sooner under the SMC. There are advantages to becoming a resident as soon as possible.

Certainly concentrate on Auckland but you may have to go where the jobs are, rather than have a choice. Another advantage of becoming resident sooner is the ability to work anywhere, doing anything. Work and WTR visas are tied to a specific employer and job and hence so are the partner's visas.
If your partner is the main job seeker then Chch may be better for work, any employer employing a plasterer in Auckland would have to prove no NZers could do the job in order for him to get a work visa. This doesn't apply in Chch as plasterers are on the CSSL. That condition doesn't apply for applications under the SMC either but many employers want someone to start work quickly and are not willing to wait for a SMC application to go through...
P

Last edited by Persephone; May 15th 2014 at 5:56 pm.