Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Moved from April 2013 Arrivals ans Departures thread

Moved from April 2013 Arrivals ans Departures thread

Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:35 am
Just Joined

steveng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: April 2013 Arrivals and Departures

We can just about do it, bit of a gamble and to be honest we would rather sell but will never move house in short time unless taking big hit.....I'm sure everything will work out fine....have to hit the ground running in NZ but so looking forward to it :-)
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if things have changed since we came over, but some airlines, at their discretion, will increase your luggage allowance if you are emigrating. Obviously you would have to show them visas etc........as proof.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

That has indeed changed. They do not do that any more
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks robdon...I will look into that.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

I have called them all, they don't do emigration luggage allowance any more
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks M+M...saved me some phone calls
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Like I say, I called them all up. Singapore are cheapest but worst for luggage excess charges. BA are good for charges for extra luggage, price of flight dearer. My local travel agent called me to say that NZ air will allow (but charge for) one excess bag, I will call them tomorrow to check that out.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks M+M, I will check a few out.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved from April 2013 Arrivals ans Departures thread

If you havent booked try emirates, they upped our luggage last november from 20kg to 45kg. Think its some deal they have with ANZ, so just open an on line account with them, even if you dont use it, to claim your extra luggage allowance.

Good luck.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

open an online account with who>?
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Such a shame that they no longer do the emigration allowance, we had double when we went and people at the airport were looking at us with our 8 massive bags and hand luggage with disbelief.
You can indeed buy extra with AirNz, it was on our e-ticket a couple of months ago, I think it was about $120 per kg.
I would suggest wearing lots of clothes including a coat and putting heavy items in the pockets, I kid you not! Plus remember that although the limit for hand luggage is 7kg, that does not include you laptop. Also consider using light bags as the weight of a wheeled bag can be several kg. I swear by my North Face duffel, weighs almost nothing, completely indestructible, you can fit a body inside and it has shoulder straps so you can carry it short distances like a rucksack. Best luggage investment. Ever.
We have found over the last few years AirNz have got quite anal about luggage allowance and always seem to see people re-packing at the checkout.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:48 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

It always used to be that AirNZ gave you double the luggage allowance when travelling via the USA but not via Asia. So you got 2x23kg plus your carry on. It was the only good thing about transiting through LA!

As long as the flights were booked together then any ongoing domestic flights had the same allowance.
I am not sure if this is still the case however, maybe contact them about it?
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

I spoke to a lady from air NZ today and they no longer do any kind of immigration allowance at all. She quoted me a price via LA, which was her cheapest one, but you still only get 23kg. You can pre book an extra 23kg bag for £75, or £175 if its outsized luggage.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

And she also said if you fly in the other direction you aren't flying air NZ all the way so they cannot guarantee the other airlines won't charge you their own luggage excess charges.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 8:14 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

That has changed then as it used to be the normal luggage allowance via USA, it was not a special immigration allowance.

Have you looked at Emirates? I have a feeling their normal allowance is higher than other airlines. Just had a look and it is 30kg for economy. May be an issue if you need ongoing domestic flights but they do fly into Christchurch and Auckland. Sorry can't remember where you're going!

Last edited by Persephone; Mar 10th 2013 at 8:19 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.