British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   migration company or DIY (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/migration-company-diy-505983/)

krestsaf Jan 13th 2008 10:28 pm

migration company or DIY

hi

been offered a company to doe following
apply for skilled pr visa for partner
help with work ie guaranteed interviews in field
help with relocation
support

cost £3400 total inc me
100% record of gaining entry visa on skilled, or money back minus government fees

or

is it better for me to do it myself.
£658 each for visa

how much is it per medical
" " per chest xray

what other costs are compulsory??

as migration company said it was £1880 for us without fee anyway?

any advice.

my partner is principal applicant with 170 points, but will require NZQA assessment to comapre qualifications

happynz Jan 13th 2008 11:00 pm

Re: migration company or DIY

I would be wary of any company that can guarantee a job along with PR. Oh well, caveat emptor and all that...

Alison1967 Jan 14th 2008 4:27 am

As long as your circumstances are uncomplicated (no major health or children by ex's and the ex is against things etc) and your job is on the MODL demand list, i would encourage you to do it yourself, yes its requires time/effort in getting proof of quals etc but the money we saved meant we could bring the cat and paid for both our tickets.

I too would be suspicious of a migration agent who can deliver what you stated.

Good luck with the decision

Ali;)

Boopy Jan 14th 2008 6:36 am

I did ours myself. For 3 adults (inc 1 dependant).
You still have to gather all the paperwork & do the donkey work.
Save your money & submit it yourself.:)

krestsaf Jan 14th 2008 7:13 am

my thread may have been misleading

they can guarantee work interviews not jobs
and if u get a job they get u the visa
if they dont you get a refund
and they have 100% success rate, proven track record.

can anyone advise roughly how much the medicals are and x-ray fees.
any other fees other than visa?
someone mentioned some levy??

why do you need 2 xrays?

would a history of depression ie been on prozac 3yrs cause concern for medical?

rockape Jan 14th 2008 7:27 am

But did the company meantion commision they charge normaly 10% of your wages for the first Year.

You need to make sure you ask them and get everything in writing as the saying is (I don't remember saying that or realy I don't recall that).

As the rest have said try it your self you find you will get more satisfaction out of doing it and less time having a middle man messing you around by delays.

Just studie the immergration site and everthing will drop into place.

Regards
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbup:: thumbup:

Alison1967 Jan 14th 2008 8:11 am

Originally Posted by krestsaf (Post 5784593)
my thread may have been misleading

they can guarantee work interviews not jobs
and if u get a job they get u the visa
if they dont you get a refund
and they have 100% success rate, proven track record.

can anyone advise roughly how much the medicals are and x-ray fees.
any other fees other than visa?
someone mentioned some levy??

why do you need 2 xrays?

would a history of depression ie been on prozac 3yrs cause concern for medical?

Medicals for two adults including xrays and bloods (two extra for me as nurse)
£466 you can find this out for yourself by getting the list of panel doctors of the london high commission and contact them.

In regard to the depression it depends on severity and impact on ability to work and function socially, how often has a person been hospitalised...that sort of thing. Prozac financially is very cheap so therefore means not a huge financial drain on the oz economy. I had a chronic health problem and passed my medical without restrictions. There are ways of putting positive spins on the medical form and if your emigrating with your family there is support for the individual there too.

1-4 of all the population has some degree of mental health issues in there life-time try to remain positive and good luck with it

Ali ;)

krestsaf Jan 14th 2008 9:10 am

hi

been on prozac due to certain confidence issues etc, but worked fulltime through it all.

so the cost of the medical including 2xrays is £466 inc vat each?

why do you need 2 xrays confused.

my partner has PCOS but take metformin regular, is the cost of that relatively cheap.

i am hoping the prozac will no longer be required in NZ as the UK drags my confidence down anyway.

We just wanna get there.

I looked online for a panel doctor and the closest is some 25 miles away.

cant find any in cerby or debyshire, or even south staffodshire.
if anyone knows of any let me know

malcoltom Jan 14th 2008 3:48 pm

We have gone with a consultancy company based in NZ and the fees to sort us out on WTR visa comes to under £2k.
As a soon to retire copper, i have no civilian skills but they have advertised my CV on their site as having been involved in Insurance Fraud and a company has already asked for it and want me to attend a job interview in August when we come over.
They are an accredited company for employing foriegners.
If they offer me a job and i stay there for 2 years on the WTR visa, what are the chances of being sucessful in applying for PR.
I just cant get my head round it at all but the consultants say i have nothing to worry about.
Any thoughts please:confused:

happynz Jan 14th 2008 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by malcoltom (Post 5786147)
I just cant get my head round it at all but the consultants say i have nothing to worry about.
Any thoughts please:confused:

Of course they would say that. They want your £2k.

malcoltom Jan 14th 2008 9:24 pm

Carry on then!!
I know i am going to have to pay them but i dont mind if it gets me there.
I have just been speaking to the consultants via the web and they are saying that if i get the job offer when we are out there in August, i could very well stay on and take up the job immediately and let the OH come back to the UK and sort the house out etc.
Is there a real pitfall that these consultants hide from us when going on a WTR visa?
Their fees of £2k are a lot better than the firm i originally went with in the UK. £6K+ !!!!!!!
:sneaky:

happynz Jan 14th 2008 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by malcoltom (Post 5787666)
Carry on then!!
I know i am going to have to pay them but i dont mind if it gets me there.
I have just been speaking to the consultants via the web and they are saying that if i get the job offer when we are out there in August, i could very well stay on and take up the job immediately and let the OH come back to the UK and sort the house out etc.
Is there a real pitfall that these consultants hide from us when going on a WTR visa?
Their fees of £2k are a lot better than the firm i originally went with in the UK. £6K+ !!!!!!!
:sneaky:

What they are telling you is something that you can arrange yourself anyway. Immigration agents have no special pull with NZIS.

Your call though...If you have the money and you trust them...

malcoltom Jan 14th 2008 9:46 pm

Thanks for that.
Its not that i maybe couldn't do it myself. I honestly just aint got the time. By the time i get home from work and spend some quality time with the little fella, i am just too knackered. It's half ten now and he is still getting out of his pit and being a pain.
The weather is so crap here that he cant play outside after school so he dont get tired.(calpol time)
We are hoping that the move will give us more quality out door time and a bit less of having to work to survive.
I am fortunate that i get a decent payout from my job in June and a decent annual pension.
I have respect for a lot of people on this site who also want the better lifestyle and do it on very little money.
You still didn't answer my question when i asked you to carry on.
Is there any hidden pitfalls?
:thumbup:

happynz Jan 14th 2008 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by malcoltom (Post 5787852)
You still didn't answer my question when i asked you to carry on.
Is there any hidden pitfalls?
:thumbup:

No hidden pitfalls except that the agents may promise something that they have no real power to do anything about. All they can really do is to give you some advice and fill in the forms for you. You would still likely have to do all the leg work collecting your documents, doing your medicals and getting your police clearances. Also, as far as getting a job offer I think it would be better for you to chase that up yourself. It will be you doing the interviewing, not the agent. Is this agency going to guarantee you a job that pays NZ$50K per year (the required amount for those going via the work to residency route)? If so, ask them for every detail you can think of about the employer. The job offer may well be legit, but I'm a born-skeptic. ;)

Take the Expression of Interest (EOI). You can fill that in on your own time. It doesn't have to be all in one go. It took me a several weeks, what with getting preliminary NZQA results and names and addresses of work referees and other odds and sods that were asked for. I just hung in there and eventually got it done. It wasn't overly complicated, just lengthy.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

hazeandsteve Jan 15th 2008 5:34 am

We did our's ourelves and arrived with permanent residency with no job offers.
Mate's came on work to live via an agent, and the day they landed were told the arranged job had fallen through.
Even though family circumstances were different, we paid roughly 40% of what we would with an agency.
I know which way I'd go if I had to do it again.:thumbsup: