British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   MIGRATION AGENT OR NOT? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/migration-agent-not-667105/)

pedro0811 May 6th 2010 11:36 am

MIGRATION AGENT OR NOT?

Hi

I have completed our EOI but with some gaps. Should I just fill the gaps in based on my own knowledge or should I pay to get the help of an agent. When you look on agent websites, they basically say that those who submit their own application, 50% are unsuccessful because they have not completed the forms correctly.

Help!!!!!

Thanks

Julie
x

Genesis May 6th 2010 11:40 am

Re: MIGRATION AGENT OR NOT?

Originally Posted by pedro0811 (Post 8546671)
Hi

I have completed our EOI but with some gaps. Should I just fill the gaps in based on my own knowledge or should I pay to get the help of an agent. When you look on agent websites, they basically say that those who submit their own application, 50% are unsuccessful because they have not completed the forms correctly.

Help!!!!!

Thanks

Julie
x

I think you will find that is scaremongering....shame on them. The general opinion on here is that these agents are a total waste of money. If we could do it anyone can. It really is very, very simple. Its just form filling. Save your hard earned. I have not heard ONE good word about agents.

Pointer May 6th 2010 11:46 am

we did it ourselves, bit time consuming but we got there, we are now currently arranging our telephone interview date with immigration. saving us a tidy sum

agents are only going to ask you for the information that only you can provide, then they will fill in your form on your behalf with the information you provided and charge you for the privelege.

simonsi May 6th 2010 11:49 am

Should I just fill the gaps in based on my own knowledge or should I pay to get the help of an agent.

No!

they basically say that those who submit their own application, 50% are unsuccessful because they have not completed the forms correctly.

Well they would say that but their "advice" isn´t worth the wonga´(and they do charge a LOT of wonga), better advice for free on here.

I have completed our EOI but with some gaps.

What Qs are you struggling with?

pedro0811 May 6th 2010 11:53 am

Hi

Thanks for that - it probably is scaremongering, but didn't want to be in that 50% who are not successful.

The one thing I am stuck on is my OH's qualification. His qualification is a BSc (Hons) in Building Surveying. Surveying is on the long term skills shortage list and on the qualifications section of the EOI, it asks if you wish to claim points for a qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage?

When you look on the LTSS it says the qualification should be a Bachelor in Surveying or the qualification must be comparable to the standard of the New Zealand qualification listed. I'm wondering if a Bsc (Hons) in Building Surveying is comparable - would anyone else know???? I know that if you claim for points on the EOI you have to be able to prove it, which I can do from his certificate, but was wondering whether anyone could say yes or no!!!!!

Thanks for all your help.

Julie
x

simonsi May 6th 2010 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by pedro0811 (Post 8546718)
When you look on the LTSS it says the qualification should be a Bachelor in Surveying or the qualification must be comparable to the standard of the New Zealand qualification listed. I'm wondering if a Bsc (Hons) in Building Surveying is comparable

OK, column 4 of the LTSS list is the key one, a BSC (Hons) is a Bachelors degree so no problem there, I would claim them - unless "building surveying" is somehow different to "surveying"????

I would also adopt a golden rule of, if in doubt claim - easier to be knocked back if necessary than to argue points back in... but your hubbies qualification position looks quite straightforward....

shelloid May 7th 2010 9:48 am

I would personally saay not to use an agent, unless you have a very complex case.
We did not use an agent and I don't think it was that difficult or stressful to do all the forms and stuff ourselves. Not saying the process wasn't stressful - but the stress was due to things outside of our control.

RobDon May 8th 2010 12:33 am

Originally Posted by shelloid (Post 8549041)
I would personally saay not to use an agent, unless you have a very complex case.
We did not use an agent and I don't think it was that difficult or stressful to do all the forms and stuff ourselves. Not saying the process wasn't stressful - but the stress was due to things outside of our control.

Ditto the above and save yourself some money. :thumbup:

Dewb09 May 8th 2010 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Pointer (Post 8546701)
we did it ourselves, bit time consuming but we got there, we are now currently arranging our telephone interview date with immigration. saving us a tidy sum

agents are only going to ask you for the information that only you can provide, then they will fill in your form on your behalf with the information you provided and charge you for the privelege.

:thumbsup: well said

Good luck with the EOI, the best advice is on here for free :thumbup:

Dewb

LukeandJo May 8th 2010 9:45 am

If you are organised and read through the application forms, understanding the question before filling it in you don't need an agent.

chrisjb May 8th 2010 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by LukeandJo (Post 8551224)
If you are organised and read through the application forms, understanding the question before filling it in you don't need an agent.

i would agree. All the information is available on the http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ website, just takes some time to read the questions and get the documents together.
Even if you used an Agent, you would still have to get documents such as Relationship or work experience evidence.

ibex May 11th 2010 9:13 am

Originally Posted by shelloid (Post 8549041)

Even then it may be a question. Before we launched on our own, I had asked a couple of agents regarding my eligibility and their service. Their response was ' Yes you are eligible, but you need a job offer'. Great! As we come from not comparable labour market our only option was to be on a LTSSL else no points for work experience. I launched EOI with 135 points, fought NZIS as they initially declined (reason was my qualification - they said it is not major in IT), went back to NZQA for revise report and finally managed to ITA and last month we were approved PR.

So my advice would be: stay away from the professionals ;)

I read once an interesting opinion on this, it goes something like this:
- if you are able to do it yourself, then you have done the first step towards NZ PR. If not, then who the hell will offer PR to someone who cannot fill in some forms. :o

Flower Pot May 11th 2010 10:24 am

We did it ourselves and got through just fine :)

Yes it takes quite a bit of time and effort, lots of paperwork gathering etc but saves a lot of wonga (1000's £'s) so definately worth it... can spend that extra money on shopping trip to fill suitcases :rofl: