British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Migrants kicked out - Daily Mail (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/migrants-kicked-out-daily-mail-618563/)

Yarpy Jul 6th 2009 8:25 am

Migrants kicked out - Daily Mail

Expats' paradise lost in New Zealand's jobs crisis - just weeks after it was named best place to make a fresh start

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...esh-start.html

With unemployment at a six-year high of 5 per cent of the population of 4,300,000, tough economic times have led to jobs going to native New Zealanders first.

One reason is the decision by Kiwis who have lost jobs overseas to return and seek work at home.

Employment minister Paula Bennett says more than 3,000 of the 26,000 who returned last year ended up on benefits.

Jobless foreigners risk losing their work visas and having to return to Britain, with some accusing the New Zealand government of pursuing a 'jobs for Kiwis' policy.
Anyone with experience of this situation?

NIKKI SNELL Jul 6th 2009 8:39 am

Re: Migrants kicked out - Daily Mail

This is soooooo true !!!

i submitted a work permit application on 7th april and still havent got it... have beentold that prob wont as they want kiwi's to get the jobs! i cant blame them tho as they are only lookign after their own,

Luckily i am able to apply for residency under family cat

NakiMan Jul 7th 2009 6:13 am

This is the third thread on this subject now in the forum.

I'll say again what I said in one of the other threads:

It goes to prove that you should NEVER gamble your savings, home and family prosperity on the strength of a work permit.

Just remember that a work permit is a TEMPORARY permission to stay in NZ in order to work. It does not infer any right to stay here for ever.

If you have a skill in demand, apply for PR. If not, get a work permit but accept that its not going to last for ever.

" I have been told that prob wont as they want kiwi's to get the jobs!"

I can just hear them now.... "Bloody immigrants coming over here and taking our jobs"..... or was it in Britain that I last heard that said???

Matewx Jul 7th 2009 9:33 am

Originally Posted by NakiMan (Post 7730112)
This is the third thread on this subject now in the forum.

I'll say again what I said in one of the other threads:

It goes to prove that you should NEVER gamble your savings, home and family prosperity on the strength of a work permit.

Just remember that a work permit is a TEMPORARY permission to stay in NZ in order to work. It does not infer any right to stay here for ever.

If you have a skill in demand, apply for PR. If not, get a work permit but accept that its not going to last for ever.

" I have been told that prob wont as they want kiwi's to get the jobs!"

I can just hear them now.... "Bloody immigrants coming over here and taking our jobs"..... or was it in Britain that I last heard that said???

I kindda agree..

Am here on a work permit and (right now) am not planning to stay forever... Come the end of our visas (2.5yrs) then we'll look into somewhere else, perhaps home... Providing we can identify "home"... As left France when I was 20, UK for 7yrs n now NZ... That's another issue!

We know that it's temporary and are quite happy with it as it is... Let's find OH a job (:sneaky::sneaky:) and then enjoy NZ :D Worry later! That's my moto!

BEVS Jul 7th 2009 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Daily Mail article
Jobless foreigners risk losing their work visas and having to return to Britain,

Incorrect. The work permit is invalid and 'lost' at the moment they lose the job it is tied to. That has always been the case.

Originally Posted by Daily Mail article
with some accusing the New Zealand government of pursuing a 'jobs for Kiwis' policy.

Again. NZ has always pursued a policy of jobs for NZ citizens and residents first. Hence the labour shortage lists. One cannot just come into NZ and take up any job for any reason. It has to be proven that there is no NZ resident or NZ citizen for that job .

This is recession.

BEVS Jul 7th 2009 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by NIKKI SNELL (Post 7727240)
This is soooooo true !!!

i submitted a work permit application on 7th april and still havent got it... have beentold that prob wont as they want kiwi's to get the jobs! i cant blame them tho as they are only lookign after their own,

Luckily i am able to apply for residency under family cat

Bit confused by this. There again that's not hard these days.:p

I am gathering that you found a job offer, but that the application was delayed because your liver results were outside the parameters and so was referred to a medical assessor. Normally this means that you would have been required to submit further reports and all this takes time. Months in fact.

Is this job offer in an occupation on the shortages lists? Or is it that the NZ employer has to prove there is no NZ resident or citizen for that job?