migrant workers in care sector

Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

trying again is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vocational assessors health and social care

I have nvq3 in health and social care, level 3 certificate in leadership and management and a1 assessors award. Has anybody been successful in getting in with this level of qualification
Old Jan 9th 2013, 11:58 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: vocational assessors health and social care

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I can't answer your question but just wanted to say hi.

I've moved your thread into the immigration forum and hopefully someone will be along to help soon.

Enjoy B.E.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:12 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: vocational assessors health and social care

Originally Posted by trying again View Post
I have nvq3 in health and social care, level 3 certificate in leadership and management and a1 assessors award. Has anybody been successful in getting in with this level of qualification
An NVQ3 is a good level of qual. but it can also depend also on the actual occupation & underpinning work experience.

Please look HERE and come back to us on that.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Default migrant workers in care sector

I understand that many care companies in NZ recruit foreign staff to work in elderly care. Does anybody know what type of visa they obtain as I currently work in this field and am confused as to the best option.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:33 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: migrant workers in care sector

Originally Posted by trying again View Post
I understand that many care companies in NZ recruit foreign staff to work in elderly care. Does anybody know what type of visa they obtain as I currently work in this field and am confused as to the best option.
Where have you found this to be so please?
By that I mean have you been given the name of companies or recruitment agents?

It would be a temporary work visa . Job offer first. Then applying for the visa.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bevs, was from a report into elderly care in NZ found on the web which stated that many care homes employed foreign staff . Having looked at the skill level allocated to care workersa work visa looked unlikely.the only thing which has come to mind is if aged under 30 could be done on working holiday visa in which case I have no chance as far too old.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi again is on www.infonews.co.nz artical on immediate action needed on care workers wages on 28/5/12
Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:38 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

direct link to the article

HHmm.

Sadly a high percentage of care workers are foreign workers coming to New Zealand to try to get a new start in a new country.
This confuses me at the moment.

An employer couldn't just employ a care worker from overseas . They would have to show there wasn't an NZ citizen or resident that could take up that work......... unless the employer was an NZIS accredited employer.

Also, the sorts of rubbish rates of play offered to care workers wouldn't be enough to satisfy NZIS that an overseas person could actually survive and settle in New Zealand.. if you see what I mean.

Do you have a management role?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

At present I recruit staff, payroll, care planning, liasing care purchases and negotiate new clients, as well as assessing new staff upto Nvq level 3 .so is a management role but as always with a move would start again asdue to high turnover inthe industry promotion for good staff usually does not take long.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:42 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

My thought for you would be that you search for an NZ care/support home managerial role.
You could use what quals you have towards showing you were right for this work

Your current position would need to state you were management level.

I really don't think that coming into NZ as a 'care worker' would cut it with immigration.