Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Medicals on Wednesday - possible problem?

Medicals on Wednesday - possible problem?

Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

tiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud of
Default Medicals on Wednesday - possible problem?

Gulp. Any general tips?

One thing that has just flashed into my head: When I was a teenager I went through a bit of a needle phobe phase and chickened out of having the TB jab. Is this going to come up or present an issue does anyone know?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:56 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicals on Wednesday - possible problem?

to be don't think it's going to be a deal breaker. but think my kids had to have it once they came over along with some others.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:02 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember whether that was even mentioned, I don't think it was. You have a chest X-ray to check for possible tuberculous lesions so don't worry!

You'll have to have some blood taken so I hope you're not still as needle phobic
The medical is not that involved, I hate going to the docs and I found it ok.

Best of luck

Had a quick look at the form and there's no mention of vaccination history so you should be fine

Last edited by Persephone; Aug 12th 2013 at 8:05 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

tiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud of

Thanks ladies! I don't know why but I'm getting so antsy about the whole thing. I think because I know it's probably the one thing left that could ruin everything if for some reason it went wrong and I still can't believe it's actually going to happen! Also for some reason I am envisaging having to have strip body examinations and all sorts of things - I'm sure it won't actually be like that though!

Lots better with needles now thanks - well I'm still a huge wimp and always think it's going to be worse than it is but after 3 kids I'm used to vampires wanting blood from me! :-)
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice

Don't stress!!!!! Ours involved a blood test, (bearing in mind my usual doctor gives me entinox for such a major event)!!!!! A chest xray and afew questions by a registered doctor. The most traumatic bit was our 3 year old son crying when he had to have his bits and pieces checked by the doctor, he had milky bar spilling out!!!!
Dont mention any minor issues as they always ask for further clarification. My husband mentioned his vasectomy and although it was routine, he was asked for documented proof that it was all clear.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:45 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiger mama
Thanks ladies! I don't know why but I'm getting so antsy about the whole thing. I think because I know it's probably the one thing left that could ruin everything if for some reason it went wrong and I still can't believe it's actually going to happen! Also for some reason I am envisaging having to have strip body examinations and all sorts of things - I'm sure it won't actually be like that though!

Lots better with needles now thanks - well I'm still a huge wimp and always think it's going to be worse than it is but after 3 kids I'm used to vampires wanting blood from me! :-)
This is the link to the medical certificate form so you can see what will be asked and what is examined:
http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/.../0/INZ1007.pdf

You should not have to strip!I took my t shirt off for chest auscultation, bra stayed on (so wear a good one!). Though the last two times I've had my chest auscultated they did it through my shirt.
No need for any further undressing. If over 45 you do have to have a breast exam. If you have any issues with anything then I suppose the exam could be a bit more in-depth depending on what it is.

All very quick and easy and noThing too scary!

Good luck

Last edited by Persephone; Aug 13th 2013 at 3:48 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you - that is so reassuring! Just had a read through that link and it doesn't seem so scary after all :-)

One quick question - we've just realised we need three passport photos for it and only have two of ourselves at home - agh! Is this going to be a quick dash to a photo booth in the morning or do you think we'd be ok to scan on print on standard printer paper??
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:14 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiger mama
Thank you - that is so reassuring! Just had a read through that link and it doesn't seem so scary after all :-)

One quick question - we've just realised we need three passport photos for it and only have two of ourselves at home - agh! Is this going to be a quick dash to a photo booth in the morning or do you think we'd be ok to scan on print on standard printer paper??
that's all we did, must be photo paper though and be the same size
Old Aug 14th 2013, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. I ended up stopping off at a photo booth on the way in the end as we had no photo paper - damn! Well that was a lot less painful than I expected I must say, physical exams were fine so just got to wait for the results of everything else now... fingers crossed! Beginning to feel like this just might all actually happen!
Old Aug 14th 2013, 5:43 pm
Queen of the Underworld

We told you
But then you never know what the doc's going to be like!

Good luck, you should hear soon and be on your way