British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Medicals Waist Measurement (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/medicals-waist-measurement-573095/)

getmethere Nov 14th 2008 11:39 am

Medicals Waist Measurement

Hi everyone

we are doing meds in 3 weeks time. I'm almost sure we will need extra tests because although BMI is fine, my waist measurement is above the recommended 88cm due to never actually having lost much baby fat from having my son through c-section.

Can someone who has been through these meds tell me where you actually measure your waist. I don't mean to sound stupid, but I keep trying to measure my waist and the range I get is astoundingly vast from 90-105 depending on where I put the tape measure. Any tips?

teebrown Nov 14th 2008 11:51 am

Re: Medicals Waist Measurement

This is a difficult one, as some measure around your belly button, but in my opinion this isn't the smallest bit (well not on me), but when I had my medical done in a place near Gatwick, they gave me the tape measure and I measured myself - needless to say I was just under the cut off ;);)

iwannagonow Nov 14th 2008 11:52 am

When we had our medicals, the Doctor let me breathe in (a lot!!) :o & he measured around the thinnest part.

If your BMI is below 35, you should be ok.

If it's above 35 or your waist measurement is above 88cm...don't panic, just go ready starved (only sips of water before you go) so that they can take extra blood tests...fasting blood glucose, lipids etc.

I went ready starved as my BMI was 36....we got the results back within a week & everything was fine :thumbsup:

Don't worry. I'm sure it won't be a problem!

Good luck, Cheryl x

getmethere Nov 14th 2008 11:53 am

oohh teebrown, you didn't go to Brookdale did you?
That's where we're going?
Yeah, belly button is not the smallest part on me either! Hmmm.

getmethere Nov 14th 2008 11:56 am

thanks iwannagonow!
Yeah, BMI is below 35, just got lots of fat around the middle - too late now to do much about it except maybe dieting could take off a few cm but it's not likely to be a major help.
Guess I'll go there ready starved!
Thanks for the tips

sunray Nov 14th 2008 2:58 pm

I was measured twice. Once round my waist and another round the biggest part of my stomach:o

My BMI was fine but have never really lost the weight gained from having my 3 kids.

I had to have the fasting tests which thankfully all came back normal.

Beetrooper Nov 14th 2008 5:58 pm

We had our medicals this Tuesday in Huddersfield

The Dr measured my waist roughly half way between your hip bone and bottom of your rib cage, and he did pull the tape quite tight as well so I ended up measuring 86cm (what a relief) - no fasting bloods needed.

What was interesting was what he said about your wobbly bits!

I have what they call 'love handles' (albeit small) and the Dr said that this type of fat (wobbly) is not a problem with diabetes etc it is the solid fat i.e solid tummies and abdomen this fat is a problem.

I am no doctor I am just letting you know what we where told to hopefully eleviate anyones fears about their wobbly bits and the medicals.

regards

Niki

teebrown Nov 14th 2008 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by getmethere (Post 6972737)
oohh teebrown, you didn't go to Brookdale did you?
That's where we're going?
Yeah, belly button is not the smallest part on me either! Hmmm.

It was a Dr Chapman, it was the cheapest around as well, £660 for everything for a family of 4.

Good luck to you

bolton1 Nov 14th 2008 6:52 pm

Hi we had our medicals done a few weeks ago and the waist measurements were more near the hip for me - it wasn't the tape that made me nervous it was what undies to put on but we've been there on another thread :rofl: fingers crossed

Stoof Nov 14th 2008 7:15 pm

our doc measured pretty much just under my rib-cage - and pulled the tape nice and tight!! ;) i too paniced that they would measure round my bellybutton!