Medicals Question

Old May 3rd 2007, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Seagulls is on a distinguished road
Default Medicals Question

We were planning to go to Auckland on a holiday visa later this year after having our meds and police checks done and while we were over there I was hoping to get a job and stay out there.

UnforTunately I had a heart attack last weekend and had to have a stent (metal tube) fitted into my artery to keep it open.

Now as far as I'm aware this is the end of it apart from my R&R so I was wondering how this would affect my medical when we plan to have them done around easter time next year.

We are quite concerned that we've had it now and won't be able to get in so any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks
Old May 3rd 2007, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

mark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant future
Default Re: Medicals Question

Hi,
I don't know the answer to your question but maybe if you go to the NZIS website and have a look at the medical forms you might find something out. You can find the medical forms on the links to other forms. Don't give up yet.
Good luck with everything and I wish you a speedy recovery,
Kim
Old May 3rd 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Seagulls
We were planning to go to Auckland on a holiday visa later this year after having our meds and police checks done and while we were over there I was hoping to get a job and stay out there.

UnforTunately I had a heart attack last weekend and had to have a stent (metal tube) fitted into my artery to keep it open.

Now as far as I'm aware this is the end of it apart from my R&R so I was wondering how this would affect my medical when we plan to have them done around easter time next year.

We are quite concerned that we've had it now and won't be able to get in so any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks
Hi,
no it may not be an end to it...my brother in law had a major heart attack at 29, he is now 35 and has not had a problem with getting in! As a rule of thumb if it is going to cost the NZ health service a lot of money, you will be turned down, e.g. ongoing treatment for cancer etc... so by the time you are due to come out it may all be a very distant memory.

Best wishes and good luck.
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Hi Seagulls, just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery, and best of luck with it all. Karma to you.
Old May 5th 2007, 1:22 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seagulls

Thanks

Hi Seagulls

Sorry to hear you've been ill and hope you're on the mend now

As for the NZIS bit, there really is nothing set in concrete and TBH they look at every application on an individual basis. If you are up front and supply as much information as possible with your aplication regarding your condition, any treatment received or ongoing and what the long term situation is predicted to be and make sure that information is from a consultant and nobody less then you stand a good chance. Remember that any decision can be challenged in the event you refused because of it. NZIS's biggest interest is what are the likely costs invloved in any future treatment you may receive