British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   medicals - cost and delay's uk vs nz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/medicals-cost-delays-uk-vs-nz-471973/)

paul walters Aug 6th 2007 2:42 pm

medicals - cost and delay's uk vs nz

hi
thanks to responses from my earlier question i know that getting medical checks done in nz is fairly straightforward. could anybody inform me how long it takes to get your results back and the rough cost of getting this done in nz?
also how long will it take me to go through the process in the uk and roughly how much does it cost, where do you go to get the medicals done? i've presently got my house up for sale and won't be travelling over for at least 2-3 months, just wondered if it was worth getting the medicals done here.

thanks paul.

futurama Aug 8th 2007 2:16 pm

Re: medicals - cost and delay's uk vs nz

Hi Paul, we got our medicals done in the uk. We were sent a list of approved Doctors and approved Radiographers. We rung a few and the difference in prices were huge. We had x rays in Hull and Medicals in York. The x ray results you take home with you but the medical results took 3 weeks to arrive at our house due to blood tests being sent away. Cost about £700 for 4 of us. hope this helps from the UK end...Ian :thumbup:

futurama Aug 8th 2007 2:18 pm

PS Paul, dont take your stool and semen sample with you , you have got to do it there...Ian :thumbup:

paul walters Aug 9th 2007 5:36 pm

thanks Ian, this gives me an idea of cost and time for resultrs in the uk.
cheers paul.

paul walters Aug 13th 2007 10:39 am

Hi Ian
forgot to ask - how long are the medicals valid for ?

Thanks Paul.

futurama Aug 13th 2007 11:00 am

Hi Paul, iam not sure how long they are valid for. If you post a new thread Iam sure you will get an answer back pretty quick. I have read somewhere on the site the validation period but I cant find it, sorry mate...Ian :confused:

TeamEmbo Aug 13th 2007 11:34 am

Medicals are valid for 3 months. Police checks are valid for 6 months.

paul walters Aug 13th 2007 12:25 pm

thanks for the reply

loztom Nov 8th 2007 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by futurama (Post 5163815)
Hi Paul, we got our medicals done in the uk. We were sent a list of approved Doctors and approved Radiographers. We rung a few and the difference in prices were huge. We had x rays in Hull and Medicals in York. The x ray results you take home with you but the medical results took 3 weeks to arrive at our house due to blood tests being sent away. Cost about £700 for 4 of us. hope this helps from the UK end...Ian :thumbup:

Hi there, have just been quoted 666 for medical and 90 each (x2) for xrays. Does this seem reasonable? Is it worth looking around for cheaper quotes or will the petrol and hassle costs negate any benefit?

paul walters Nov 8th 2007 5:06 pm

hi, we haven't completed our medicals yet. The info I have gathered is that in the uk it's more expensive and there's a longer wait for appointments and results. In Nz a freind has had his family of 4 done for £400 and got the results back after a couple of days. Regards Paul.

Wiz'n'Ton Nov 9th 2007 5:07 am

If you have the option, save it for NZ. Myself and Mrs Wiz got medicals, bloods and X-rays done for a smidge under $800 all in. That's around 300 quid. For two.

They took 2 weeks from booking to final visit with the doc.

Booking was easy here in ChCh - we just called around, found the cheapest ($360 all in from Church Corner Clinic, Riccarton) and were in there 4 days later. We had to pay a bit extra for a second blood test for T, but that was 40 bucks or so.

1 week after that we had to go back and see the doc to look at our x rays and blood results, and then they were done and signed by Mr Doc.

Easy peasey!

My advice: save it for NZ - quicker and cheaper all round.

Good luck!

loztom Nov 9th 2007 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 5532000)
If you have the option, save it for NZ. Myself and Mrs Wiz got medicals, bloods and X-rays done for a smidge under $800 all in. That's around 300 quid. For two.

They took 2 weeks from booking to final visit with the doc.

Booking was easy here in ChCh - we just called around, found the cheapest ($360 all in from Church Corner Clinic, Riccarton) and were in there 4 days later. We had to pay a bit extra for a second blood test for T, but that was 40 bucks or so.

1 week after that we had to go back and see the doc to look at our x rays and blood results, and then they were done and signed by Mr Doc.

Easy peasey!

My advice: save it for NZ - quicker and cheaper all round.

Good luck!

I have a job offer in NZ and thought that in order to get the visa (I need to start straight away), I will need to have the medical before I leave? I am going in under the Talent work to residence visa. Funds are thight enough but reading the literature it seemed to suggest that i needed this medical, police check etc before I left?

richyandkat Nov 9th 2007 9:19 am

Hi,

Our medicals were £220 each and the xrays were £77 each, highest we were quoted was £325 each for the medicals, so it pays to phone a few places up.

Richy and Kat