Medicals for Children over 14

Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Laloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicals for Children over 14

Hi

I have a 15 year old child who is classed as obese. His BMI is probably around 40 and his waist is way over 105 cm's. Has anyone had any experience with overweight children or does anyone know how this will effect our application? I am the main applicant and my BMI is about 28 and waist is around 95, so don't think I'll have any problems.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicals for Children over 14

The panel doctor told us they do not use the BMI scale on children under 19 and use a centile score instead, something to do with massive fluctuations in height and weight because they are still growing. Dont know how correct this is but both my girls (12 & 16) were fine using this method anyway and passed with flying colours. HTH.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Laloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Using the percentile method, I think my son is about 98 percentile, which I think is still a problem.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobDon View Post
The panel doctor told us they do not use the BMI scale on children under 19 and use a centile score instead, something to do with massive fluctuations in height and weight because they are still growing. Dont know how correct this is but both my girls (12 & 16) were fine using this method anyway and passed with flying colours. HTH.
Hi We had our medicals yesterday and we have a 13yr daughter. Doctor did use the BMI scale on her re: height and weight. No problems, She came out at 21.

I've just done a quick calculation and if the BMI is 40 and with a height of
5'9", it would mean he is just over 19stone.

If when taking the medical the BMI is over 35, that person will be referred and expected to lose weight bringing it under the upper limit, before being granted a visa

I would strongly suggest you get him under 35 before applying as this is an extremely costly process. Yesterday I paid £585 out for 3 medicals and last week £295 for the 3 xrays.

If you want to know exactly what his BMI is give me his height and weight. Obviously personal info so PM if you would rather
Kind Regards
Numptyhead
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

or go to http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Health...FUoB4wodnnsw_A