British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Medicals - BMI'S!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/medicals-bmis-622803/)

willand tina_h Jul 29th 2009 3:23 pm

Medicals - BMI'S!!!

please can anyone help me out??? My BMI is above 33, so had a fasting cholesterol and fasting glucose done which came back within normal limits, however, I am worried that they are gonna make us wait and that I will have o looe tumps of weight :( :( We are going to be submitting our ita next week too, my tummy is doing real gud belly flops right now, lol.

Numptyhead Jul 29th 2009 5:01 pm

Re: Medicals - BMI'S!!!

Originally Posted by willand tina_h (Post 7794997)
please can anyone help me out??? My BMI is above 33, so had a fasting cholesterol and fasting glucose done which came back within normal limits, however, I am worried that they are gonna make us wait and that I will have o looe tumps of weight :( :( We are going to be submitting our ita next week too, my tummy is doing real gud belly flops right now, lol.

Hi

If your BMI is under 35... and the fasting lipids are all normal....you will have no problem on that part:thumbsup:

willand tina_h Jul 29th 2009 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Numptyhead (Post 7795335)
Hi

If your BMI is under 35... and the fasting lipids are all normal....you will have no problem on that part:thumbsup:

Thanks numptyhead, bu my bmi is 38 :(:(:( so do you think i m ay have a bit of work to do??? But yeah my lipids were under so thats one good thing i guess.

Numptyhead Jul 30th 2009 7:34 am

Originally Posted by willand tina_h (Post 7795891)
Thanks numptyhead, bu my bmi is 38 :(:(:( so do you think i m ay have a bit of work to do??? But yeah my lipids were under so thats one good thing i guess.

Yes Hun, you've got to get it under 35. Not an lot of weight to lose to do that. Good luck

weejie Jul 30th 2009 8:59 am

My BMI was 40 and I got the ok but no other associated health problems. May be okay unless criteria changed in the year since we had ours done. Good luck whatever happens

Phyl x

bevissa65 Jul 30th 2009 8:59 am

Hi Willand Tina, trust me they will pull you up if BMI is over 35:thumbdown: Mine was 36.1 at the medicals and I have had to be referred to MA. They refused me visa as I was "significantly obese" they said they would re-assess when BMI less than 35. I got it to 33.1 and have re-submitted medical. Am waiting to hear if that is good enouigh. Do try and get as much info as poss to send them. I sent weightwatchers records and letter from GP confirming my weight now and BMI. Good luck :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: Bevissa

Jan n Neil Jul 30th 2009 10:18 am

Technically, the NZIS have to prove that a BMI of over 35 is going to cost the NZ health authorities more than $25000 during the period of your stay, according to lawyers Lane Neave. Most MAs just say "get it reduced" without due consideration for all your other health issues (if any) and the length of your stay. They do not prove you are going to cost money, but people accept their findings without contesting it in most cases.

According to these lawers (who are expert in medical issues) this is too generalised, and the head honcho at LN also told me that the London branch are too strict - the NZ offices are more considered.

Small comfort, I know, but it does seem that London may have gone a bit overboard on this. For example. some of our Olympic athletes would have a BMI higher than 35.............

getmethere Jul 30th 2009 7:51 pm

my BMI was 35 on the nose and they did the extra blood tests and my cholestrol was a teeny tiny bit higher than it should have been.
We so thought we would be busted - but we weren't. No-one even queried our meds and we got PR with no hassle so don't panic!

I think even if they have issues - they usually give you a chance to lose weight/re-submit etc

you'll be fine :thumbup:

willand tina_h Jul 30th 2009 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by getmethere (Post 7799116)
my BMI was 35 on the nose and they did the extra blood tests and my cholestrol was a teeny tiny bit higher than it should have been.
We so thought we would be busted - but we weren't. No-one even queried our meds and we got PR with no hassle so don't panic!

I think even if they have issues - they usually give you a chance to lose weight/re-submit etc

you'll be fine :thumbup:

Hi getmethere, thanks so much, i havent been on earlier as just been out walking the dog!!!!!! Can you believe it??? Yep i mean buisness, have got to try summat incase they do pull me up, but fingers crossed though that we will be lucky, gonna submitt next week hopefully!

Paula2007 Jul 30th 2009 8:37 pm

My waist was 1cm too big and I had to have that extra blood test. My BMI was 29!!!!:confused:

MooMoo290373 Aug 3rd 2009 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Paula2007 (Post 7799231)
My waist was 1cm too big and I had to have that extra blood test. My BMI was 29!!!!:confused:

I was excatly the same i also had to have extra blood test too, which showed slight raised choleastral so i had to get that down and repeat blood test was good to go!!!

bevissa65 Aug 4th 2009 8:26 am

All your posts are so positive. I am soooooo fed up waiting to hear back from MA. When our ITA went in I was convinced as my BMI was so close to what they wanted they wouldn't even look twice at it. As my cholesterol came back as high as well I assume that was what made them refuse me. I have since had another cholesterol test done which was well under, we are fairly sure the first one was wrong (BLOOD HANGING ABOUT FOR 2 FLIPPIN' DAYS BEFORE BEING SENT OFF) there is no way my cholesterol would have gone down from 5.8 to 3.9 in 3 weeks. Makes us wonder if the first test was accurate (Dr got other stuff wrong too!!!!) Its so disheartening, how long does it take to read through a few bits of paper??:thumbdown: Dare I e-mail again today???? Good luck all those going through BMI worries. I'm sure we'll all get there eventually, Bevissa :unsure:

Numptyhead Aug 4th 2009 8:48 am

Originally Posted by bevissa65 (Post 7810916)
All your posts are so positive. I am soooooo fed up waiting to hear back from MA. When our ITA went in I was convinced as my BMI was so close to what they wanted they wouldn't even look twice at it. As my cholesterol came back as high as well I assume that was what made them refuse me. I have since had another cholesterol test done which was well under, we are fairly sure the first one was wrong (BLOOD HANGING ABOUT FOR 2 FLIPPIN' DAYS BEFORE BEING SENT OFF) there is no way my cholesterol would have gone down from 5.8 to 3.9 in 3 weeks. Makes us wonder if the first test was accurate (Dr got other stuff wrong too!!!!) Its so disheartening, how long does it take to read through a few bits of paper??:thumbdown: Dare I e-mail again today???? Good luck all those going through BMI worries. I'm sure we'll all get there eventually, Bevissa :unsure:

Hi Bevissa. feel for ya darling. You will hear soon and it will be all good. You did everything required.....what a good girlie. I think your bloods were off on the first one too. Too much of a drop to the next one. Anyway, big
((((hugs)))) Maria x

Numptyhead Aug 4th 2009 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Paula2007 (Post 7799231)

Mine was 9cm too big and BMI 30......so as you can probably imagine....not a great look......:rofl: But hey.....extra lipid test all normal so don't give a toss:thumbsup:

Jan n Neil Aug 4th 2009 8:55 am

The amount of fat you carry around your waist is an indicator that there may be high cholestrol present: the fat leaches from your midriff area into vital organs (yuk, yes I know)

As Numptyhead said, the actual measurement of your waist is not a pass or fail with NZIS, just an indicator of whether your cholestrol needs checking. Neils waist was a little large :rofl: but his cholestrol is low, so no further comment form NZIS on that score.

Plenty on other scores, but that's a different thread........