Medicals!!

Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

wigmore. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicals!!

Hi,

Can someone please advise me as to what infor they are likely to need for the medicals. I have a son who has a long medical history and he is only 6.

He was born 12 weeks premature, is hearing impaired which is genetic, and has some communication difficulties and social difficulties, but not on the autistic spectrum. Could someone please tell me what info I should try and prepare in advance as dont want it delayed too much with awaiting info for my son.

Do i need letter from GP, peadatrician and audiologist alongside this he sees a teacher for the deaf and should we get a report of some discription from her.

Any help greatly appreciated as migration agents keeps saying to deal with it if they ask for it, but I think this is time consuming and would make more sense if info was available early on.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Mudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really nice
Default Re: Medicals!!

Hi,
Might be worth getting as much paperwork as you can together before you go for the medicals, its always better to be prepared! and it might save you time, try and cover every basis.
When we went for our med's I even took eye sight test!!! hubby said I was going a little over board but my answer was you never no.........
Good luck
Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:08 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mudplug
Hi,
Might be worth getting as much paperwork as you can together before you go for the medicals, its always better to be prepared! and it might save you time, try and cover every basis.
When we went for our med's I even took eye sight test!!! hubby said I was going a little over board but my answer was you never no.........
Good luck
Hi Agree with everything Mudplug has said...take as much info as you can with you ...all reports and letters, the Doc doing the medical may not seem interested but I advise you to send copies in with your medical form.
Good luck B x
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I would suggest, but it is only my opinion, that your application will go for a medical referral to an MA , so you may as well get all the reports together now.

Again, only my opinion, but as you are using an Immy agent , don't jump the NZIS gun as it might go off pop in your face. Wait for the referral and then have the agent submit the medical info and reports along with the agents covering letter about the condition. The Immy agent , if they know their stuff , will be better informed & well placed to offer mediating reasons and arguments for a medical waiver if it is needed. It is just as much about timing and presentation to a certain degree if you get my meaning.
Rather like when one submits an ITA. It is better to follow the procedures and have everything in the exact order that an NZIS officer is trained to deal with.

As Mudplug states, get as much details information as you can. Letters and reports from all .

It is only my view though and you must do what you feel is best for you

What the MA and NZIS will primarily be looking at is what might be the cost to the NZ health service and also to the Education system in NZ.

Here is what the NZ operations manual states about hearing loss.....

Appendix 10 - Medical conditions deemed to impose significant costs and/or demands on New Zealand's health and/or education services

....In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe (71-90 decibels) hearing loss or profound bilateral sensori-neural hearing loss......
You can read more about how NZIS view costs HERE
I'm copying into the post below , so you can have an easy read.

A4.10 Acceptable standard of health (applicants for residence)
  1. Applicants for residence visas and permits must have an acceptable standard of health unless they have been granted a medical waiver. An application for residence must be declined if any person included in that application is assessed as not having an acceptable standard of health and a medical waiver is not granted (see A4.60).
  2. Applicants for residence are considered to have an acceptable standard of health if they are:
    1. unlikely to be a danger to public health; and
    2. unlikely to impose significant costs or demands on New Zealand's health services or special education services; and
    3. (unless the applicant is sponsored for residence by a person who holds refugee status in New Zealand) able to undertake the work on the basis of which they are applying for a visa or permit, or which is a requirement for the issue or grant of the visa or permit.
  3. The conditions listed in Appendix 10 are considered to impose significant costs and/or demands on New Zealand's health and/or special education services. Where a visa or immigration officer is satisfied (as a result of advice from an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor) that an applicant has one of the listed conditions, that applicant will be assessed as not having an acceptable standard of health.
  4. If a visa or immigration officer is not initially satisfied that an applicant for residence has an acceptable standard of health, they must refer the matter for assessment to an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor (or the Ministry of Education as appropriate).
A4.10.1 Assessment of whether an applicant for residence is unlikely to impose significant costs on New Zealand's health services
  1. The requirement that an applicant for residence must be unlikely to impose significant costs on New Zealand's health services is not met if, in the opinion of an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor, there is a relatively high probability that the applicant's medical condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of $25,000.Note: Assessment will be in terms of current costs with no inflation adjustment.
  2. In the case of acute medical conditions, the medical assessor will provide an opinion on whether there is a relatively high probability that the condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of NZ$25,000 within a period of four years from the date the assessment against health requirements policy is made.
  3. In the case of chronic recurring medical conditions, the medical assessor will provide an opinion on whether, over the predicted course of the condition or group of conditions, there is a relatively high probability that the condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of NZ$25,000.
A4.10.5 Assessment of whether an applicant for residence is unlikely to impose significant costs on New Zealand's special education services
The requirement that an applicant for residence must be unlikely to impose significant costs on New Zealand's special education services is not met if the Ministry of Education (MoE) has determined that there is a relatively high probability that the applicant's physical, intellectual, sensory or behavioural condition or group of conditions would entitle them to Ongoing and Reviewable Resourcing Schemes (ORRS) funding.
A4.10.10 Assessment of whether an applicant for residence is unlikely to impose significant demands on New Zealand's health services
The requirement that an applicant must be unlikely to impose significant demands on New Zealand's health services is not met if, in the opinion of an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor, there is a relatively high probability that the applicant's medical condition or group of conditions will require health services for which the current demand in New Zealand is not being met.