British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Medicals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/medicals-315784/)

bookemjano Jul 24th 2005 3:54 pm

Medicals

Yet another question - God forbid that something comes up on your medicals, does the doctor doing them tell you or does he just pass all the info to NZIS who get in touch? Ours are booked for 13th September, we go out (fingers crossed) on 9th October, so we should have had the results in and sent them off, so we need to know if we can send them off with peace of mind that nothing medical is likely to be causing problems with the ITA.

Joshlin Jul 24th 2005 4:35 pm

Re: Medicals

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Yet another question - God forbid that something comes up on your medicals, does the doctor doing them tell you or does he just pass all the info to NZIS who get in touch? Ours are booked for 13th September, we go out (fingers crossed) on 9th October, so we should have had the results in and sent them off, so we need to know if we can send them off with peace of mind that nothing medical is likely to be causing problems with the ITA.

not 100% sure - and as has been already mentioned the doctors all seem to do things slightly different - but ours gave us feedback as we went through the medical and I got the impression if he had picked anything up he would have mentioned it there and then, the only thing he couldn't comment on and therefore we had no idea about was the blood test results.

Pinkie Pie Jul 24th 2005 9:38 pm

Hi Jan

Our Doc said at the start of the medicals that if he detected anything alarming he would let us know there and then...at the end of the meds he reassured us that he hadn't found anything of concern (thank goodness) and that about 99% of people pass the medicals without problems - the only thing he couldn't comment on was our x-rays as they were still being processed at the clinic but as far as we are aware none of us has TB so we should be ok!!! :D

Try not to worry about them (I worried enough for both of us before going for mine and there was really nothing to worry about) I'm sure your Doc will let you know if there is anything untoward but I'm sure everything will be ok for you...:D

Biddy Jul 24th 2005 10:47 pm

I think all doctors would let you know if there were concerns. Ask them at the start to 'talk you through it' as you go along and you'll soon get an idea if all is well or not.

K9s Jul 24th 2005 11:40 pm

Just out of interest the only thing they test for in the blood test is Syphilis. I asked the doc why they only test for that, with so many more modern diseases around and he said it gives you an idea how old the NZ immigration legislation is

K9

bookemjano Jul 25th 2005 6:20 am

Thanks everyone, another tick on the reassurance checklist.

Joshlin Jul 25th 2005 9:35 pm

Just as an addendum - I have a tattoo and therefore had to pay for an additional blood test to test for Hep C (what a bad girl I am!)