Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Medical requirements for young adult with Aspergers?

Medical requirements for young adult with Aspergers?

Old Dec 6th 2013, 5:52 pm
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light
Default Medical requirements for young adult with Aspergers?

My husband is soon to be formally offered a job in South Island as part of CHCH rebuild. Our 19 year old son has Asperger's Syndrome for which we expect to encounter hoops that we have to jump through. We will hopefully be looking to get our medicals booked shortly but therein lies my dilemma. We know we are likely to need supporting evidence for our son but will they need this at the time of the medical, and if so, how are we supposed to determine what information they need if there are no guidelines? or are there?

If you have treaded this path or similar and can share your experience please do - I'd be most grateful. I am also trying to seek out professionals who may be able to support us with the report on my son - I understand we will pay privately but does anyone know of anyone based in the south west and who perhaps understand the migration process requirements for such a report.

Thanks, Lizaberry
Old Dec 7th 2013, 7:59 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Medical requirements for young adult with Aspergers?

Bump
Old Dec 7th 2013, 11:50 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lizaberry,

You need to give it a bit of time before someone responds, weekends and people living in different time zones means there are quiet times and so threads may not get replies straight away, as such it's not good "netiquette" to bump threads. I'm sure someone will be along soon though that can offer some insight or pointers.

Have a great weekend!
Old Dec 7th 2013, 11:57 am
Newbie to NZ

I meant no harm - how can I delete the 'bump' post then?
Old Dec 7th 2013, 9:56 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizaberry
I meant no harm - how can I delete the 'bump' post then?
It's all good, no harm done.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 10:20 pm
Newbie to NZ

:-)
Old Dec 9th 2013, 5:57 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lizaberry
Good to see you back

I would take as much information as you have already to the medical. It will be sent for referral once NZIS receive it and they will assess what extra info is needed.
I can't really give you any specific help, sorry
Have you tried searching for Asperger's on here? I've seen it mentioned a few times in the past so you might find something of use. I would expect the requirements from NZIS for something like this to vary widely depending on how affected the individual is.

P
Old Jan 5th 2014, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi there, I assume he has a formal diagnosis so would have been assessed , I would take any assessments you have with you. Aspergers is not separated in the new DSM 5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), it is encompassed within the Austism spectrum.
If your son is also on medication then may be as well to include this as well.
If he has any additional services in the UK would maybe be helpful to have any updated reports available.
Hope this helps.
PM me if you need any further information of services here in NZ
Old Jan 5th 2014, 9:17 am
Newbie to NZ

I've PM'd you - thanks
Old Jan 6th 2014, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi got your PM and responded