British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Medical problem with ITA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/medical-problem-ita-514724/)

newzealandplease Feb 16th 2008 12:29 am

Medical problem with ITA

Well the ITA has ground to a halt, we have just had a letter NZIS for my wife based on BMI > 40 and provide report and glucose tolerance test, she did the glucose tolerence test and it was fine. We are applying for residency under skilled migrant cat, me being the main applicant. I'm currentlyl in NZ on a work visa and the wife and kids are still in the UK.

HELP! what do we do now? the letter says we can reply (or must reply!) within 30 days. What do we reply with?

Agency (I know I know!) is as much use as chocolate fireguard, and I am taking that up seperatley, they are supposed to be 'experts' yet seem a step behind us (lesson to others thinking of using an agency).

So what do we do? Feel a little helpless over here as with the time difference and the new job I can't offer much support or help back home.

Any specific advice?

dreamfish Feb 16th 2008 12:44 am

Re: Medical problem with ITA

I am sure mine was something like 41.

Lee was the primary applicant on the Skilled Migrant application - I was put down as stay at home mom with a view to going back to work.

I pre-empted all their questions and so on the lead up to the medical i had regular blood checks via my GP, then the blood tests from panel doctor. I also went to the medical starved so that they could take bloods for GT test.

I then provided additional blood tests from GP after the medical before submitting all the paperwork. All that poking around in my vein showed a 'trend' and they saw that i was not a diabetes risk before the medical, nor after.

what I did have going for me was that it had been 6 months since i had given birth and i was still breast feeding.

I was also being treated for hyper tension (still am), and depression (mixture of PND and loss of my father a few months before medical).

So what you need from your panel doctor and GP is a note to the effect of your wife is addressing her weight - she is otherwise an active woman blah blah.

I did not get one question about my BMI (admittedly this was last year before they got strict on it) - in fact I almost wanted to phone them up and ask if they had even seen those notes!!!!

Anyway - if your wife has any concerns or wants to chat to someone jsut drop me a PM.

Fingers crossed for you Kate. xx

Gill and Rob Feb 16th 2008 1:54 am

Originally Posted by newzealandplease (Post 5939410)
Well the ITA has ground to a halt, we have just had a letter NZIS for my wife based on BMI > 40 and provide report and glucose tolerance test, she did the glucose tolerence test and it was fine. We are applying for residency under skilled migrant cat, me being the main applicant. I'm currentlyl in NZ on a work visa and the wife and kids are still in the UK.

HELP! what do we do now? the letter says we can reply (or must reply!) within 30 days. What do we reply with?

Agency (I know I know!) is as much use as chocolate fireguard, and I am taking that up seperatley, they are supposed to be 'experts' yet seem a step behind us (lesson to others thinking of using an agency).

So what do we do? Feel a little helpless over here as with the time difference and the new job I can't offer much support or help back home.

Any specific advice?

Get in touch with your case officer.

Gill

newzealandplease Feb 16th 2008 3:19 am

After trawling through the NZIS documents, I think there may be the possibility of a medical waiver, or am I reading it all wrong? I don't think we tick many of the boxes though or am I being pessamistic?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzis/...anual/7580.htm

SidNZ Feb 16th 2008 6:28 pm

Hi there,

We had the same problem with my wife's bmi nearly 4 years ago. We provided evidence (letters/references) from her GP and employers to confirm her health, attendance record and the fact that she was doing a physically demanding job. Also provided slimming club records to prove evidence of weight loss.

Thankfully the NZIS's medically officer gave the medical the thumbs up as visa's were granted.

Good luck.

Sid

Kags1694 Feb 21st 2008 12:16 pm

Any specific advice?

Hi,
Hope you dont mind me asking, how are you getting on We had my medicals 3 weeks ago, hopefully picking up results to day. I have the same problem as your oh, I had the extra tests during medical. Have lost over 2 stone so far, but till away to go. Our ITA has to be in on he 10 March.

Regards
Karen

newzealandplease Feb 21st 2008 5:26 pm

Hi There. We aren't yet. Waiting for a GP appointment to get some medical histories and stuff, then going to put it all in a letter to NZIS and cross fingers!

Kags1694 Feb 22nd 2008 7:47 am

Originally Posted by newzealandplease (Post 5965308)
Hi There. We aren't yet. Waiting for a GP appointment to get some medical histories and stuff, then going to put it all in a letter to NZIS and cross fingers!

Good luck

Kags1694 Apr 21st 2008 11:26 am

Any specific advice?

Hi,
How are you getting on?

Just received an email of NZ, saying that our medicals has been sent of to be check out.

Regards
Kare

traceyandchris Apr 21st 2008 12:34 pm

Hi-
Does anyone know what level of BMI is acceptable and at what level they start to ask questions?

weejie Apr 21st 2008 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by traceyandchris (Post 6242355)
Hi-
Does anyone know what level of BMI is acceptable and at what level they start to ask questions?

I believe it is <35 for BMI. Have a look on www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ to help you calculate your BMI. You will be required to have extra blood tests done...fasting blood glucose and lipids( cholesterol) if you are over this. Also recall seeing somewhere ( but can't remember where,sorry:unsure:) that your waist measurements have to be below a certain size sure it was 88cm for a woman. If I remember or track it down will let you know.

Hope this helps a bit

Phyllis

newzealandplease Apr 21st 2008 7:49 pm

No news yet. Have sent more info from GP to immigration, but nothing coming out for nearly a month now.

I think sadly that unless things start moving the whole thing may fall apart. Financially and emotionally its hard being in NZ when the wife and children are in the UK. Missed out on my daughters birthday last week, which has been the lowest point so far. Being on nearly half the UK salary and running two homes has eaten things up fast.

The irony is that a big part of us coming over here was for a more active lifestyle and to get away from the 2 car lifestlye in the UK. I don't run a car over here and cycle to work EVERY day rain or shine, use the bus service to get into town and walk to the supermarket. I've been here since end of Jan and already feel more like a 25 year old than a 33 year old.

Really willing it to all work out so that the new life I've carved out here can become permenent for the 4 of us.

trying Apr 22nd 2008 10:31 am

(oh of newzealand please)
We were told my medical had gone to be checked out and had a letter back 3 weeks later.
If any problem with medical will then ask you to reply within 30 days in response
we sent this in on the 14th march. Still waiting to hear as case officer has filled a form in for a medical waiver on my behalf and it is now with a manager, was told yesterday we should hear in the next couple of weeks. At least we should know one way or the other.
The thing that get's me is that they don't seemed to have taken into account that at the time of the medical it was still only 6 months after having a baby! (supposed to give yourself up to a year to get back to normal) but on a plus note have lost 13kg already and if all else fails only another 7kg to go to get under the magic number.
so if i don't get medical waiver should be only another 6-7 weeks before they class me as acceptable
just hope that i can just send in evidence of having bmi under 35 rarther than have to go through it all again
don't know if anyone knows answer to this?
hope all goes well with your medical

trying May 9th 2008 11:28 am

well got the news we,ve been waiting so long for
granted medical waiver so residancy approved in principle:thumbsup:

was so excited rang the oh no caring that it was 3 am over there
now the fun begins
have a 2nd viewing on the house tomorrow so fingers crossed
should get stamp in passports in about 4 weeks

can't believe that in a few weeks me and the kids will finally be reunited with the oh/daddy after 14 weeks apart
better be a big bottle of bubbly waiting for me:D

anyone out there having problems with medical/waivers hang in there there is hope

Kags1694 May 9th 2008 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by trying (Post 6328115)
well got the news we,ve been waiting so long for
granted medical waiver so residancy approved in principle:thumbsup:

was so excited rang the oh no caring that it was 3 am over there
now the fun begins
have a 2nd viewing on the house tomorrow so fingers crossed
should get stamp in passports in about 4 weeks

can't believe that in a few weeks me and the kids will finally be reunited with the oh/daddy after 14 weeks apart
better be a big bottle of bubbly waiting for me:D

anyone out there having problems with medical/waivers hang in there there is hope

Hi
Congratulations :thumbsup:

How did you get a medical wavier and what does it involve.

Regards
Karen