Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Medical problem - BMI to high, what can I do next?

Medical problem - BMI to high, what can I do next?

Old May 12th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light
Default BMI to high (ITA), what can I do next?

Received the following email today.

I received your medicals back from our Consultant Physician today. Unfortunately there has been an adverse opinion with regards to your wife's medical. Please find below a copy of our latest letter to you which is self explanatory.

APPLICATION FOR A RESIDENCE VISA, INCLUDING;
We are writing with regard to your application for a Residence Visa which was accepted for consideration on 06 March, 2008.
You will recall that you submitted medical and x-ray certificates as a part of this residence application.
On the 21 April 2008 we referred your wife Karen medical to our Consultant Physician for comment.
The Consultant Physician advised that they have an adverse opinion regarding your wife's medical condition. Specifically, the Consultant Physician stated that "there is a relatively high probability that the applicant's acute medical condition(s) will require health services in New Zealand costing more than $25,000 within the next 4 year period or the applicant's chronic recurring condition(s) will require health services in New Zealand costing more than $25,000 over the predicted course of the condition".
The Consultant Physician went on to make the following comments: "Morbid obesity with BMI > 50. Increased risk of premature death, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, osteoarthritis, cancer, gout etc. As per recent recommendations will only reconsider if can get BMI > 40."
It therefore appears that your wife is not of an acceptable standard of health for residence.

We have untill the 12th June to get back to them.

I have lost another stone since I had my medical.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Karen

Last edited by Kags1694; May 12th 2008 at 10:49 am.
Old May 12th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical problem - BMI to high, what can I do next?

Oh dear, well it sounds like you are doing the right thing, well done for losing the stone, the only other thing I can suggest is cutting off one of your legs, but I think that is a little drastic!

Keep up the good hard work, you will get there.
Old May 12th 2008, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by teebrown
Oh dear, well it sounds like you are doing the right thing, well done for losing the stone, the only other thing I can suggest is cutting off one of your legs, but I think that is a little drastic!

Keep up the good hard work, you will get there.
Thanks,
I have just had a meeting with my MD, asked to either cut my working week down to either 3 days or the other alterative is to had my notice in, so that I can spend more time in gym.

I new that it was going to happen, but when it is in black and white

I have tried to ring case officer, not available let a message for her to ring me.

Karen
Old May 12th 2008, 8:22 pm
Family landed :)

newzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nice

you have a PM.

Good luck !
Old May 15th 2008, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Alifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Medical problem - BMI to high, what can I do next?

Hi guys, this is exactly what happened with my hubbies application. We were finally turned down in Feb this year. We haven't had the heart to look in on these chat rooms to any extent since, (licking our wounds I guess ), but we are still hopeful to shed the weight. Luckily Fred hasn't gained anything since being turned down, and had already lost 2 stone after the medicals. He still needs to shed 2-3 more . Our plans are to crack on with this now as we still really want to get to NZ, but we realize that it may take time.
They appear to be pretty inflexible on the BMI front- we went for a waiver, but in hindsight it was a waist of time as it wasnt based on medical needs just clerical waivers. We could have appealed the decision, but could not take any new info, ie weight loss, into account.
We will have to start from scratch, but at least we have all the ground work done already. Good luck, how is the BMI currently? Fred's is 46- the second it hits 40 I'll be putting the EOI in!

Last edited by Alifox; May 15th 2008 at 3:13 pm.
Old May 15th 2008, 3:09 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Keep up the weight loss but you could always look at Australia instead. Don't think they are so concerned about love handles here.
Old May 15th 2008, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

trying is an unknown quantity at this point

we had the same letter sent to us on feb 14th (nice timing when oh in nz)
had the month to reply
got a gp letter saying had no other medical issues
how are you loosing the weight at home or at a club?
if at a club send in copies of weight loss or if at home go to gp and get weighed and ask them to include in a headed letter.
when you reply state that you want to loose the weight but sensibly (about 1kg a week is the norm) i also included that we wanted to move to nz to have a healthier lifestyle. I also included what exersize i do and that i do eat a healthy diet (i just had to get rid of the pregnancy weight)
I know how hard it is when you get the letter but keep going, i think if you show you are steadily loosing the weight you should be ok.
The only good thing was with all the stress over it i lost 2 stone in 11 weeks
we were granted a waiver last week and now have pr granted in principle and 4 days later accepted an offer on the house
so with any luck should be over there in a couple of months.
Keep at it and hope it works out for you
Old May 16th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trying
we had the same letter sent to us on feb 14th (nice timing when oh in nz)
had the month to reply
got a gp letter saying had no other medical issues
how are you loosing the weight at home or at a club?
if at a club send in copies of weight loss or if at home go to gp and get weighed and ask them to include in a headed letter.
when you reply state that you want to loose the weight but sensibly (about 1kg a week is the norm) i also included that we wanted to move to nz to have a healthier lifestyle. I also included what exersize i do and that i do eat a healthy diet (i just had to get rid of the pregnancy weight)
I know how hard it is when you get the letter but keep going, i think if you show you are steadily loosing the weight you should be ok.
The only good thing was with all the stress over it i lost 2 stone in 11 weeks
we were granted a waiver last week and now have pr granted in principle and 4 days later accepted an offer on the house
so with any luck should be over there in a couple of months.
Keep at it and hope it works out for you
Hi, thanks for reply.

You asked if I go to a club, I go to Weight Watchers

I have finally been able to get an appointment at doctors, going Monday am.
Hopefully she will do a letter stating that I have no other health issues apart from being overweight.

Reduced my working hours to mornings only, (not coping to well with workload), Going gym before I go to work , and going again in the afternoon.

How did you reply for a medical waiver, and what does it involve.

Congratulation about getting offer on home.

We sold our house a month ago, and have moved in with my parents.

Regards
Karen.
Old May 16th 2008, 11:35 am
Just Joined

trying is an unknown quantity at this point

just put in the letter that i was committed to loosing the weight
next we heard case officer was filling out form on my behalf
just make sure you copy the weight loss from the club and submit that in as well as your letter from your gp
good luck