British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Medical and Police checks - Valid for how long please? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/medical-police-checks-valid-how-long-please-778919/)

Geoff_Rhodes Nov 27th 2012 2:52 pm

Medical and Police checks - Valid for how long please?

Can anyone advise on how long both medical and police checks last for. I have read all sorts of stuff from 3mths for police check to 2 years for medical check?

Anyone done one or the other recently that can advise?

We are looking to lodge our EOI early in the New Year and wondered whether it is worth getting them done now or wait until nearer the time we are going to lodge EOI, especially as I am not sure if they need to be valid when you lodge your EOI or Visa Application or actually make the move?

Still trying to find my way round the whole process so bear with me :confused:

janiejones Nov 27th 2012 6:27 pm

Re: Medical and Police checks - Valid for how long please?

Wait until you get an Invitation to Apply (ITA). Your EOI may sit in the pool for up to six months, depending on your points. No harm in phoning the doctors on the approved list for prices now, though. We saved about £300 by travelling a bit further for our medicals.

TommyLuck Nov 27th 2012 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Geoff_Rhodes (Post 10403803)
Can anyone advise on how long both medical and police checks last for. I have read all sorts of stuff from 3mths for police check to 2 years for medical check?

We are looking to lodge our EOI early in the New Year and wondered whether it is worth getting them done now or wait until nearer the time we are going to lodge EOI, especially as I am not sure if they need to be valid when you lodge your EOI or Visa Application or actually make the move?

If applying for the first time, you need to lodge your EOI within 3 months of the dates of both the police check and medical assessment.

If you've already done a medical in a previous application, that medical is valid for 2 years.

This is how I understand it.

Hope that makes sense.

skends Nov 27th 2012 10:21 pm

We got a discount for our medicals because we paid cash!

MrsFychan Nov 28th 2012 6:13 am

I agree with janiejones, no point spending out money until you have actually been selected to ITA (Invitation To Apply)

Geoff_Rhodes Nov 28th 2012 1:42 pm

Cheers peeps, I will ring round a few for prices and not be too eager to get it done.
Dont suppose anyone has any recommendations in the Yorkshire area?
I have the list and York is nearest so will try them first for prices.

simonsi Nov 29th 2012 9:16 am

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 10404298)
If you've already done a medical in a previous application, that medical is valid for 2 years.

3yrs if there are no complicating or risk factors.

TommyLuck Nov 29th 2012 9:36 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 10407325)
3yrs if there are no complicating or risk factors.

I must have mistyped ... :whistle:

Caz8NZ Nov 29th 2012 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Geoff_Rhodes (Post 10403803)

Hi Geoff - check this bit of the immigration website out:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...pply/evidence/

Then if you click on further info you get a bit more - but in short:

"certificates must be less than three months old at the time you lodge your application. However, if you have already provided these certificates in the last 36 months you may not need to provide new certificates"

"Police certificates must be less than six months old when the application is lodged.

We may ask for further police certificates if the initial police certificate becomes a year old from its date of issue before we make a decision on your application; or within the 12-month period if there is good reason to do so."

Geoff_Rhodes Nov 29th 2012 9:21 pm

Ah, so we dont send them when we lodge our EOI but when we return the invitation to apply if we are selected.

Gives a bit more time to save up :-)

Thanks for the link Caz8NZ and the info guys.

Caz8NZ Nov 29th 2012 9:24 pm

No worries.

Yes you don't send anything with your Expression of Interest - that's just so they can do an initial assessment of your application - if they agree with how you say you are claiming points, the invitation to apply is then them basically saying - ok now prove it :-)

Geoff_Rhodes Nov 29th 2012 9:37 pm

Cheers :-)

triskel Dec 20th 2012 8:44 pm

Hi Geoff,
Good luck with everything.
Have you researched the cost of the medicals? I have to start doing but I've not found a comparative cost listing. Any pointers of what you've found would be welcome, I know the prices can vary wildly.
thanks
Heather.

Geoff_Rhodes Dec 20th 2012 9:31 pm

Not much help but been a bit slack recently so not done this yet, sorry.

MrsFychan Dec 20th 2012 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by triskel (Post 10444457)
Hi Geoff,
Good luck with everything.
Have you researched the cost of the medicals? I have to start doing but I've not found a comparative cost listing. Any pointers of what you've found would be welcome, I know the prices can vary wildly.
thanks
Heather.

only thing you can really do is check on the list from the Immigration site for the one's in your area and call them for prices, sometimes you have to go to a separate site for the chest xray, lucky for us when we had ours done it was just a 10min walk from the medical centre.