British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   medical issue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/medical-issue-520081/)

potty Mar 8th 2008 3:40 pm

medical issue

Hi folks's

me and tother 1/2 are in the process of applying for WTR in NZ. Basically, tother 1/2 is waiting for her nursing council registration to come through, then we are off. Thought early on about going under the skilled migrant category for residence, however, there may be an itch. I have smoked for about 35 years , stopped last year for a bit but back on them. Had a chest infection last year and later did a spirometry -then it was said I have moderate COPD. However, I am very active , walk a lot, run a bit, no other probs and as my doc said I have got very mild symptoms. So went for another spirometry and found that I did one of the blow tests wrong and my results were much better when I corrected my technique. Still on purple inhaler and spiriva for now.

Anyway, I understand that so long as I do not cost NZ a lot of money for treatment, I should be OK. With COPD you can go for years and years(if at all) without needing oxygen therapy and the like. Just worried that they may look 10 or twenty years ahead in their assessment and claim the expense on the worse case scenario will be too much. That is why we have gone for the WTR option and try in a couple of years for residency and show-hey look I am OK -is this the bet option I wonder? Should I just mention the chest infection given the questionability of the diagnosis?

sorry about the waffling be I would be grateful for any advice.

potty

potty Mar 8th 2008 4:11 pm

Re: medical issue

Hi again,

just thought. If I wait until tother 1/2 gets a work visa or WTR visa and I apply as a partner - would that help things?. As I understand it as nursing is on the LTSS list she can sponser me. What does "sponser" eally imply?

potty

Knightm Mar 14th 2008 7:00 am

sponsoring means you will be able to work 'cos you are the partner of someone who has a work visa or residency. duration of yr visa will be the same as yr OH but you will have no restrictions i.e. you will be able to work with any company you want in any position you like. only drawback: should something happens to yr OH's visa, your work visa will also expire.

Tend not to agree with you re the WTR route. If you have enough points to go for the PR in the first place just go with that. WTR offers you restrictions rather than benefits. as rgds to the medicals it won;t help out as you would need to do the medicals once again. In actual fact you are risking that if in 2 yrs yr situation gets worse, they will not accept you then even if you had previously been accepted for WTR.

Not sure re the amount but I had read somewhere as to the benchmark for not accepting someone on medical grounds. I think it's in the region of $20-25K p.a. Also they will not accept someone who requires dialysis treatment, or an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor has indicated that they will require such treatment within a period of four years from the date of the medical assessment; or
they have active pulmonary tuberculosis; or
they have severe haemophilia; or
they have a physical incapacity that requires full time care.

BEVS Mar 14th 2008 9:55 am

Good post.

I will add that whichever route you choose to do you will , in the end, have to attend a medical examination and this includes chest xrays & blood tests. Sponsoring does not circumnavigate with requirement.

Here is a link to the NZIS medical forms . Please click the blue type.

Anything that is outside of the parameters will probably require a medical referral .

potty Mar 14th 2008 11:41 am

Ta you lot,

decided that we may go through EOI route after all, Had tests recently and actually they indicate that earlier tests were inaccurate and i am in a better condition than first diagnosed. Not too worried as I am very active and got years left. Doubt if I'd cost NZ much money as I only require oxygen when my dog lets one go-lol . it does say on one document that they would refuse someone with my condition that needs oxygen and has limited exercise capabilities, Well i have started training for a marathon (hopefully do one in NZ).

I am just wondering how far forward INZ look when assessing medical condition. We all die short of breath eventually.

Knightm Mar 14th 2008 8:10 pm

great news. I would not worry too much from what you said. What might hapen if yr medical record flags some issues is that it would take a bit more time with yr medical referred to their medical experts.

Start training for the Iron man competition then..it's in Taupo...a year from now. Well done.