British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Medical expiry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/medical-expiry-755535/)

Laura_Jayne_M Apr 20th 2012 7:20 am

Medical expiry

Hi

I'm aware that medicals can be used for 3 months but I wondered if anyone can advise when the 3 months starts - is it from the day of the actual examination, or is it from the day that the Dr signs off the form - for example, I have been asked to have my cholesterol retested (it came back as 5.0 and apparently NZ stipulate it should be less than 5!), I will probably get this done in the next few weeks so the Dr won't be completing the form for a month or so - would the 3 months therefore start from this week when I had the medical, or from the beginning of May when I had my repeat blood tests?

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks,
Laura

simonsi Apr 20th 2012 10:10 am

Re: Medical expiry

Its the date he dates and signs the form AFAIK.

Laura_Jayne_M Apr 20th 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks for this, I did try and phone the London branch of INZ but got put through to a really unhelpful, abrupt woman who was totally useless!!
Don't suppose anyone would know whether I could put an application in for an 11 month temp visa now (no medical needed) and then pretty much as soon as it is approved, put an application in for a longer term temp visa (with my medical certificate) . . . basically appears I have a few medical things which may delay my visa, but my job offer won't wait for me so I need to get out to NZ as soon as I can and as I've already forked out for my medical, I don't really want to have to wait any more than 3 months or I'll have to pay for another medical!
Thanks,
Laura

simonsi Apr 20th 2012 8:35 pm

I think they will be governed by the length of you contract, if >12mths they will want you to fulfill the full medical/character requirements.

Requesting a shorter visa to initially avoid those requirements for what is ostensibly a longer job is a bit odd and would lead to questions, and if you are concerned that you currently may not meet the medical requirements then it may get "interesting".

Laura_Jayne_M Apr 20th 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks for this. My new employer advised the temp visa to hurry things up - are you saying then that if I did apply for the <11 months visa, they would have to change my contract to reflect that?
Its not that I don't think I will meet the medical requirements, my panel dr thinks it is likely that the medical assessors will approve me after further questioning, its more the possible delay that it could cause that is the problem.
Thanks anyway - you've been far more useful than the actual immigration service have been! :)

simonsi Apr 20th 2012 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Laura_Jayne_M (Post 10017214)
Thanks for this. My new employer advised the temp visa to hurry things up - are you saying then that if I did apply for the <11 months visa, they would have to change my contract to reflect that?
Its not that I don't think I will meet the medical requirements, my panel dr thinks it is likely that the medical assessors will approve me after further questioning, its more the possible delay that it could cause that is the problem.
Thanks anyway - you've been far more useful than the actual immigration service have been! :)

I think so, yes.

Trouble is then will the employer (in NZIS' eyes), be justified in taking yourself over anyone already in NZ...You can always stress to your panel doc to try and pre-empt those questions they might ask by answering them in his report, then it may get referred but they may not need to go back to the panel doc for clarification???

Would you qualify for a working hol visa that would allow you to start work while the work visa is processed with medicals etc??

MrsFychan Apr 20th 2012 10:28 pm

is the job a permanent job or a contract/temp job?

My husband got offered a job and they needed him to start asap, so he applied for a years work visa and updated his EOI to with job offer". this way he could start work with the company as no medical was required to get that. The ITA got pulled and the process for that to enable him to get PR just run its course and we got PR 3mths later. We had problems with the medical with myself and daughters having referred but the assessor found it would not impact on healthcare in NZ and sent back all ok.

Laura_Jayne_M Apr 21st 2012 11:52 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 10017314)

Would you qualify for a working hol visa that would allow you to start work while the work visa is processed with medicals etc??

I already used my working holiday visa a few years ago . . plus I have just turned 31 so too old now . . thanks anyway

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10017338)
is the job a permanent job or a contract/temp job?.

Its permanent. ANZCO skill 1 so technically I can apply for a 5 year temp work visa . . . I think I'm just going to have to go down this route and if the medical delays me I will just have to hope that my employer will change his mind about flexibility . . I don't want to think about the situation if he doesnt :(

Thanks for everyones help