British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Medical and Drugs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/medical-drugs-417484/)

matt_matt Jan 7th 2007 11:06 pm

Medical and Drugs

Hi guys, got my medical coming up shortly, and am getting myself into a right tizzy about it.

In my late teens, I fell in with the wrong crowd for several months (I suppose it was my rebellious phase - I had been a goody-goody!), and ended up smoking a far bit of pot and also taking some magic mushrooms and acid. In the end, I saw through both my so-called friends and the attraction to drugs, though only after learning a few hard life lessons.

Since then, I've turned my life around and not touched anything for over 13 years. I'm worried now though that it might come back to haunt me, as I have to declare all this to the doctor. Would it be a deal-breaker for the visa?

Thanks,

Matt

Maz Jan 7th 2007 11:17 pm

Re: Medical and Drugs

Originally Posted by matt_matt (Post 4258616)
Hi guys, got my medical coming up shortly, and am getting myself into a right tizzy about it.

In my late teens, I fell in with the wrong crowd for several months (I suppose it was my rebellious phase - I had been a goody-goody!), and ended up smoking a far bit of pot and also taking some magic mushrooms and acid. In the end, I saw through both my so-called friends and the attraction to drugs, though only after learning a few hard life lessons.

Since then, I've turned my life around and not touched anything for over 13 years. I'm worried now though that it might come back to haunt me, as I have to declare all this to the doctor. Would it be a deal-breaker for the visa?

Thanks,

Matt

13 years??? You're golden. :) Heroin stays in the system for longest, and that's either 5 or 10 years, I forget which, so you're fine. Good on you for turning your life around. :) Pot only stays in your system for about 2 weeks, and that can be 'flushed out' more quickly with herbs like Golden Seal (in the US anyway).

Jude J Jan 7th 2007 11:20 pm

Well me and my hubs had a bit of a dabble also in our teens and we were fine! It didn't come up though, but our medicals were 4 years ago and done in NZ.
I dont think it will be a problem at all. As Maz has said, nothing will be in your system after all these years!

sky Jan 8th 2007 1:37 am

Do you even have to mention it, it was a long time ago wasn't it!

Mandie Jan 9th 2007 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by sky (Post 4258959)
Do you even have to mention it, it was a long time ago wasn't it!

Actually sky said exactly what i was thinking...do you really need to mention it, it was such a long time ago and the fact that it's been long gone out of your system...who'll ever know!!!

hope all goes well for you
Mandie :D

dreamfish Jan 10th 2007 9:16 am

i think a lot of us will have dabbled in something during our student years - i know i have. i was advised to not mention it. :cool:

Maz Jan 10th 2007 1:16 pm

Agree! I'm certainly not going to mention any of the fun I had. ;) :D LOL

ssnjeff Jan 10th 2007 2:09 pm

Matt
Dont panic, as part of my work we deal with drug use and users on a daily basis, Heroin will show up on a dip test (urine/blood) for upto 3 days average weed about 30 days and acid etc around 3to 5days hope this helps and as they say mum's the word:D

mazi Jan 10th 2007 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by matt_matt (Post 4258616)

Thanks,

Matt

matt_matt, dear matt_matt...matt

You daft bugger:)

mazi Jan 10th 2007 6:41 pm

The above comment was meant in friendly, fond kind of way, just in case the typing and smiley didn't give it away.
:):)