Medical Declined!!!

Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Medical Declined!!!

Maybe not, but this is what NZIS use. Before a medical is declined it goes through two referrals. The applicant is asked to submit further supporting evidence, & reports about the NZIS medical concerns, so there is opportunity to show that a high BMI is not just due to obesity. Also, if in the first instance the BMI shows high , extra fasting blood tests are routinely required.

What NZIS concern themselves with is whether the applicant is likely to become a burden to the NZ health service in the future. I would suspect that a fit, active, healthy person with a high BMI would be able to show , through the referral system that their BMI was as a result of a healthy and fit lifestyle. If in doubt, then have the panel doctor write further about the BMI . There is opportunity at the first medical to do this.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:49 am
Just Joined

ceriann is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Adventurer
Sorry Kags but
IT IS ONLY DOWN TO WHAT YOU EAT OR AT LEAST THE AMOUNT THAT YOU EAT compared to what you use up.
If you eat more calories than you use you put on weight.
If you eat less than you use you lose weight.
There is no other outcome.

I have been involved in health, eating and physical exercise and fitness most of my life including work and I despair of the majority of overweight, fat and obese people who always have a 'reason' for their predicament.
I have also suffered from weight problems in my time and ill health, despite being physically super fit, caused by eating far too much crap for too many years. At last I have changed and hope that I will be able to prolong my life now to see my kids grow up to a mature age.

Physical exercise is normally a relatively small part of weight control unless someone is doing enormous amounts. Of course the benefits for health are substantial. Perversely small amounts of vigorous exercise can cause many people to put on weight due to the exercise often increasing the appetite and then consuming more than the calories burned in the exercise.
There are some exercises which are especially bad for the calories used equation such as swimming. Swimming, although a very good form of exercise, generally causes massive appetite and extra eating often way above the calories burned. Many people can swim for a few minutes and be ravenous.

Anyway I really like to help people and if anything I have written helps anyone to reevaluate then great. If anything upsets anyone that is just the way it goes.
Hi i am new to this sight joined yesterday.I need some advise on medicals.We are waiting for the go ahead to have our medicals how does that work??do we go to our GP?? or do we get sent to an independent body? Thankyou for any response.x
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:04 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ceriann
Hi i am new to this sight joined yesterday.I need some advise on medicals.We are waiting for the go ahead to have our medicals how does that work??do we go to our GP?? or do we get sent to an independent body? Thankyou for any response.x

Welcome to the forum

You get sent a list of approved GP's and clinics

Start up specific threads for each and every one of the thousands of questions you want answering.

Happy reading

Pauline
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:10 pm
Ann and John

Ann and John is a jewel in the roughAnn and John is a jewel in the roughAnn and John is a jewel in the roughAnn and John is a jewel in the roughAnn and John is a jewel in the rough

OH God!

Will I be turned down too.....................
We had hoped to go out next year to join our family on the family visa thing but I am a chubby 62 year old Granny.
I feel quite sick now, maybe we'll be turned down because I'm too fat. Thats my weekend ruined...................sh one t !!!

Hope your dreams come true and you do get in
Regards Ann
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:34 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kags1694
Received email today to say that due to BMI being high, my medical has been declined. (no other health problems)

Two choices now:

(a) Medical Wavier?

(b) It it possible to take me of our application, my husband and son
get there PR, and for my hubby to sponsor me?

Keep on reading email, but totally confused by all of the paragraphs, I think I need to leave it a couple of days, and read it again

We have been given to the middle of August to decide.
I need to lose a further 2.1/2 stone to get my BMI down to below 40.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Hi Kags,,

sorry to hear about your email, thats such bad news for you, but my advice would be, don't stress about this Aug deadline, just relax, and keep on doing what you are doing, you are losing weight and doing so well, you'll lose that other 2 and half stone, and then can you reapply ?? If you have strong will to be here, then you will overcome what is in your way, don't lose heart, keep fighting, you are doing amazingly well.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Marika 38
Hi Kags,,

sorry to hear about your email, thats such bad news for you, but my advice would be, don't stress about this Aug deadline, just relax, and keep on doing what you are doing, you are losing weight and doing so well, you'll lose that other 2 and half stone, and then can you reapply ?? If you have strong will to be here, then you will overcome what is in your way, don't lose heart, keep fighting, you are doing amazingly well.
Hi,
Totally lost heart now, applied for a medical wavier. Another waiting game now.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ceriann
We are in East Anglia and we used these people, they were quick and really helpful.

www.aviation-medica.co.uk/
Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Alifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really nice
Exclamation Re: Medical Declined!!!

You seem to have stirred up a storm Kags In my hubbies case a waiver proved pointless. I don't want to pour salt onto you wounds, but am just giving you our experience. Despite searching high and low on what a waiver entails, there is next to no info on it- as I'm sure you have found out yourself

In my opinion, the term medical waiver is flawed, as it implies that once granted, an applicants rights to state- provided health care would be waived (declined). In this vain, I submitted a 6 page arguement detailing how, despite my hubbies BMI issues, we were in a position to fund his healthcare etc.

Evidently a medical waiver refers purely to some operational procedures used by NZIS. It is possible to argue your contribution to NZ society is "worthy" enough, but evidently my contribution was not deemed enough. Again, I don't want to put dampners on things, (or sound TOO bitter) but I do wonder how "worthy" you have to be, when I am a nurse with 17 years experience; am financially secure, and have family support in NZ, but am still declined
After all that, I wish you ALL the best, and have sent you a PM.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:53 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Hi,
Oh Karen I do feel for you. It must be devastating to be declined, but it is worth 'battling' for acceptance and trying for a new life.
You have set yourself a lot of challenges and are bound to feel 'why do I bother' at times, your human.
Just think of what you have achieved don't make it for nothing - with the exception of a deminished bank balance.

Loosing weight is not easy and you do become tired of what feels like permanently fighting with you body.

You have done beautifully, it's no mean feat to loose the weight you have lost. You are a strong woman who has moments of weakness. You are strong enough to achieve your goal.
Keep up your diet and exercise while waiting for the decision, if it doesn't go in your favour, appeal against (if permitted) stating how you have continued to loose weight. Anything is worth a go.

Keep up the good work
Pauline
Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:19 am
`

Hi,
Don't lose heart. You are being very brave & doing all the right things to get you to New Zealand.

All my fingers and toes are crossed for you that the medical waiver comes good.

I did have a thought this morning, whilst doing the garden. If you offered to come into NZ on a short temporary 6 month work visa , would that help the waiver?

My thinking is:-

Your husband has a job offer and it would help the NZ employer
It would buy you more time to lose the last couple of stone.
It gets you here and started in NZ.
NZ may see it as a commitment to be in NZ and also a commitment to its health policy re the BMI.

After all, a temporary work visa is just that. Temporary.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, what pleasant comments here !!!

Firstly genes has nothing to do with obesity no matter how many so-called Doctors try to find reasons for it. Babies aren't born obese ! If there are no thyroid problems, the reason is eating more than your body is burning and storing more than is needed. Intake -v- need is all wrong !

Anyway, you sound like you are doing it correctly and safely which is better than fad diets, although if you are a veggie and not eating any meat, what is your source of protein ? Without that, you are risking your metabolism going awry and your body storing other nutrients because of the lack of protien !

What exercises are you doing ? Cardiovascular workouts burn much more calories than gym related workouts, unless you are on a running machine. Eat little and often, snack on fruit/veg in small proportions between sensible meals, cut down on carbs and it should fly off unless you have another medical issue attributable to keeping the weight on

Good luck with it all.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:58 am
`

Hi Mally.

I think you'll find that Kags has already lost over 4.5 stone and is looking to lose another 2.5 stone. I've every faith she will hit the mark. Will it be in time is another matter.

Her thread here is more about how the medical being declined impacts on her hopes for a new life in NZ, than it is about her efforts to lose weight. She is already diligently working on the weight issue as she has proven by the weight loss to date.

What she really needs right now is to know more about NZIS medical waivers, the process and how they work. Following that, if the medical waiver is unsuccessful, she needs to know if she goes from a medical waiver to the Residents Review Board or what possible further alternatives there may be for her.

It would be a huge shame for her and her family , that she fights her way back to an acceptable BMI by NZIS standards , only to find that she will not be allowed to emigrate or even to work temporarily in NZ because the doors for that have been closed to her for good. In other words - she runs out of time.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:04 am
lionheart

[QUOTE=Mally Lass;6653808]Oh dear, what pleasant comments here !!!

Firstly genes has nothing to do with obesity no matter how many so-called Doctors try to find reasons for it. Babies aren't born obese ! If there are no thyroid problems, the reason is eating more than your body is burning and storing more than is needed. Intake -v- need is all wrong !

We are allowed to disagree with each other without taking 'umbridge'.

I have 2 children, both born full term
David was 8lb 13oz at birth
James 8lb 1/2oz at birth and 1inch longer than David.

So was James born underweight or was David born overweight.

My friend has 4 children all term and weight from 6lb 8oz to 13 lbs.

I worked in Obstetrics for 4 years 1976 - 1980, we had babies born of over 14lbs - I would say these babies were obese.

I would disagree with your comments about babies.
intake v need I agree with.

As good as intentions are I think Karen has probably had a gut full of people telling her she eats too much and what she needs to do to loose weight. Karen wants help to get into NZ.

Pauline

Pauline

Last edited by howden40; Aug 7th 2008 at 3:09 am. Reason: No definition between my comment and what replying to
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Hi Mally.

I think you'll find that Kags has already lost over 4.5 stone and is looking to lose another 2.5 stone. I've every faith she will hit the mark. Will it be in time is another matter.

Her thread here is more about how the medical being declined impacts on her hopes for a new life in NZ, than it is about her efforts to lose weight. She is already diligently working on the weight issue as she has proven by the weight loss to date.

What she really needs right now is to know more about NZIS medical waivers, the process and how they work. Following that, if the medical waiver is unsuccessful, she needs to know if she goes from a medical waiver to the Residents Review Board or what possible further alternatives there may be for her.

It would be a huge shame for her and her family , that she fights her way back to an acceptable BMI by NZIS standards , only to find that she will not be allowed to emigrate or even to work temporarily in NZ because the doors for that have been closed to her for good. In other words - she runs out of time.
I have read her threads and know what she has lost, I was offering advice that may not have previously been given
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by howden40
Originally Posted by Mally Lass
Oh dear, what pleasant comments here !!!

[COLOR="Blue"]We are allowed to disagree with each other without taking 'umbridge'.

I have 2 children, both born full term
David was 8lb 13oz at birth
James 8lb 1/2oz at birth and 1inch longer than David.

So was James born underweight or was David born overweight.

There is a 'Range' for babies and adults, that they should be between, so I doubt niether were overweight or underweight ![/COLOR]

My friend has 4 children all term and weight from 6lb 8oz to 13 lbs.

I worked in Obstetrics for 4 years 1976 - 1980, we had babies born of over 14lbs - I would say these babies were obese.

I would disagree with your comments about babies.
intake v need I agree with.

As good as intentions are I think Karen has probably had a gut full of people telling her she eats too much and what she needs to do to loose weight. Karen wants help to get into NZ.

Pauline

Pauline
Maybe I should have phrased it differently. If mothers overeat rubbish, they pass that on to babies (in laymans's terms) before they are born, so of course some babies are born on the large side (usually to mother's whom are on the large side). What I should have said is : babies aren't born obese, and continue to grow up obese because of some 'gene' that apparently exists that makes people fat ! it's usually because of what the mother has been eating during pregnancy and continued to feed once the baby is born

As I said I was offering advice.

Last edited by Mally Lass; Aug 7th 2008 at 3:19 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.