Medical BP Question

Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:51 pm
R0b
Just Joined

R0b is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Medical BP Question

Hi,

I had my medical yesterday which was all clear apart from one thing

The doctor really quickly took my blood pressure and noted it down, after the examination was over I checked through the application and noticed she had put my blood pressure down as 140/80 - which is way higher than my normal (120/80ish) and right on the upper limit. I can only put this down to nerves (my heart was pounding).

Should the doctor have taken a second reading? Is this going to cause me delays? Should I take more time off work to see my GP? :curse:

grr wish I'd checked what she had written at the time.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical BP Question

Wouldn't worry if I were you,it's normal as you say. I think they expect it to be a bit higher due to the circumstances

Phyllis
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:40 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

No that is not high enough to be concerned, the Doctor would have told you if he thought it was too high for the Medical...dont worry
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

rusty100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by love30stm
No that is not high enough to be concerned, the Doctor would have told you if he thought it was too high for the Medical...dont worry
Hi Rob,

I don't think you should worry about your blood pressure (except to try not to worry). As others say, the doctor would have told you to go and see about it if they thought it might be serious - they still have a professional responsibility towards the patient they are examining, even if it is an immigration medical.
Hardly any wonder your blood pressure is up a bit - this immigration process would stress Superman. It's like an assault course for your nerves - one that goes on and on and on, for months.
Might be best to be prepared for INZ to refer your medical though. Judging by all the posts, they seem to do so at the slightest opportunity.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

At my medial, my blood pressure was as usual very low. I had to get a letter from my GP saying I'd always had low blood pressure and he more or less put in the letter at least I wasn't going to have a heart attack!!

Your BP is fine, there's nothing to worry about, just chill and have a wine or two!!

Catkin
Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:29 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Think you find your blood pressure is normal , look up blood pressure on google, and dont worry
Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about your blood pressure...it's well within normal limits!

140/80 is NOT a worryingly high reading

The systolic (upper number) on average is usually 100 + your age

The diastolic (lower number) is the one to watch....in this case 80 is perfectly normal

As previously said, blood pressure can go up a little with a certain amount of stress & I'm sure that even the ogres at NZIS are aware of this, so stop worrying or it WILL be high!!

Check me out.....I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about!!