Medical Advice

Old Jan 30th 2010, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

andyg45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Advice

Hi can anyone tell me whats involved in the medical and do they require any medical history from my G.P
Old Jan 30th 2010, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Advice

Originally Posted by andyg45
Hi can anyone tell me whats involved in the medical and do they require any medical history from my G.P
Hi

No medical history is required from your GP unless there is problem.

Have a look on the NZIS (immigration site) here and it will explain all you need to know.
Good luck
Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

The medical is straightforward...unless you have a problem. The form is part of the ITA pack, so worth just reading through what they're looking at.
The biggest hurdle for a lot of people seems to be the BMI thing, so if you're overweight I'd look at losing weight now, before you attend for medical. If your BMI is above a certain level (I can't remember if it's 30 or 35 now ) they'll need to do additional blood tests, and that's when the occasional surprisingly high cholesterol or whatever pops up. If you're within a healthy weight range they'll not even test your cholesterol.

If you smoke...stop...then you can honestly answer as a non smoker . If you drink too much cut down or even stop before the medical...give the liver a chance to give normal liver function test results .

You are required to give honest answers of course, & the doctors do take the process seriously, so there's no hiding if you do have any ongoing medical conditions. If that's the case it's worth gathering as much evidence as you can about your medical condition as the doctor doing the medical will want to see it...as may the MA if you get referred.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
Hi

No medical history is required from your GP unless there is problem.

Have a look on the NZIS (immigration site) here and it will explain all you need to know.
Good luck
Hi, thanks, i noticed that you are in whakatane, my daughters in laws live there, she says its a nice place, i have a job offer in Taupo, so will be a couple of hours away, hoping to be there around august if all goes well
Old Jan 31st 2010, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tomsk
The medical is straightforward...unless you have a problem. The form is part of the ITA pack, so worth just reading through what they're looking at.
The biggest hurdle for a lot of people seems to be the BMI thing, so if you're overweight I'd look at losing weight now, before you attend for medical. If your BMI is above a certain level (I can't remember if it's 30 or 35 now ) they'll need to do additional blood tests, and that's when the occasional surprisingly high cholesterol or whatever pops up. If you're within a healthy weight range they'll not even test your cholesterol.

If you smoke...stop...then you can honestly answer as a non smoker . If you drink too much cut down or even stop before the medical...give the liver a chance to give normal liver function test results .

You are required to give honest answers of course, & the doctors do take the process seriously, so there's no hiding if you do have any ongoing medical conditions. If that's the case it's worth gathering as much evidence as you can about your medical condition as the doctor doing the medical will want to see it...as may the MA if you get referred.
thanks for that, some good advice there.
we are both in the norm weight region so shouldn't be a problem there, but do smoke and drink but not to excess, so will definatly cut down or even better give up.
Just wanting to get it all out of the way and finalised, i think its the not knowing thats the stressfull part and your future being in someone elses hands so to speak.
Many thanks again
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Although your weight may be fine, they do measure your waist. If it's over a certain measurement, they have to do an extra blood test (fasting). It says on the form what the max measurement is. If you are anywhere near this then I would recommend fasting just in case, otherwise it all takes extra time.