British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Maximum time in NZ on work permit. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/maximum-time-nz-work-permit-484307/)

jennifer45 Sep 29th 2007 4:47 pm

Maximum time in NZ on work permit.

Hi there,
could anyone out there tell me how many times the work permit can be renewed?
My youngest son went out on a 12 month working holiday visa- this was changed to a 12 month work permit, which has just been extended for a further 12 months until end of Sept 08. He is highly valued by a government recognized national employer.(They literally can't get anyone else to do his job!)
Our eldest son who has been there since 2003 cannot sponsor him until August 2008- can't see his application for residency being granted with-in 2 months time scale. Would it be possible to have his permit extended whilst his application is being dealt with? If he has to leave NZ he'll have nothing to come back to- 'cos we'll be out there!:unsure:

happynz Sep 29th 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Maximum time in NZ on work permit.

Yes, Jennifer, work permits can be extended indefinitely as long as one can fulfill all the requirements such as skills, employer eligibility and the sort. As far as your one son sponsoring your other son, I am not clear on your one son's status here in New Zealand. If the one son who has been here since 2003 doesn't have residency I don't see how he'd be eligible to sponsor your other son unless he can prove that his brother is his dependent.
So, erm...yeah. Work permits can be extended. That, I know. Your sons' sponsoring situation is a bit curly and I'm not sure.

Good luck.

jennifer45 Sep 29th 2007 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5369254)
Yes, Jennifer, work permits can be extended indefinitely as long as one can fulfill all the requirements such as skills, employer eligibility and the sort. As far as your one son sponsoring your other son, I am not clear on your one son's status here in New Zealand. If the one son who has been here since 2003 doesn't have residency I don't see how he'd be eligible to sponsor your other son unless he can prove that his brother is his dependent.
So, erm...yeah. Work permits can be extended. That, I know. Your sons' sponsoring situation is a bit curly and I'm not sure.

Good luck.

Thanks for that happynz,
Long but good story.
We, Hubby and I , fell in love with Nz Yonks ago.
Introduced eldest to NZ in 2003- he had met Kiwi lass in Bangkok on working holiday 2002 - both moved to Sydney- year later began family- moved to Wellie- bought house in Eastbourne- at end of two year work visa - gained residency- 2005. Youngest brother went out on Working holiday visa after succumbing to NZ charms and is now starting second year of work permits.
Our position now is both sons out there - one with permanent residency- ready ( desperate for baby sitters!) to sponsor parents and only sibling who has been working and living in NZ for past 2 years. It's just the time factor. We know we won't have any problems- so we're selling the last UK property as soon as we return from NZ in April 08 and put our application for residency in Aug 08. Just worried that youngest might have to leave NZ when his present work permit ran out Sept 08 ----if his residency wasn't granted by then.
So----'work permits can be extended indefinitely as long as one can fulfill all the requirements such as skills, employer eligibility and the sort. ' makes me feel a whole lot better.
Thanks

Beachcombers Sep 30th 2007 8:37 pm

Just a quick note.

Make sure that your son, applies for a new work visa/permit well before the old one runs out! And check out what the requirements are, you may need to supply additional paperwork such as a police character waiver, which can take weeks to get hold of.

I am speaking from experience, you do not want to be caught in a situation where one work permit has expired and there is a delay in getting the next one issued. It was a very stressful two weeks!

jajpe Oct 8th 2007 9:20 pm

sorry to interupt this thread but wonder if anyone knows if it possible to go to nz with work visa and one way tickets. Friends of our have work for short term but plan to apply for permanent residency pretty soon after arrival. I just have a feeling they will need to have return tickets to go but i can't find it anywhere. He is a doctor so chances ar every good for residency but just don't know about the tickets.

Will really appreciate any replies

Maz Oct 8th 2007 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by jajpe (Post 5402476)
sorry to interupt this thread but wonder if anyone knows if it possible to go to nz with work visa and one way tickets. Friends of our have work for short term but plan to apply for permanent residency pretty soon after arrival. I just have a feeling they will need to have return tickets to go but i can't find it anywhere. He is a doctor so chances ar every good for residency but just don't know about the tickets.

How long is the work permit for? Have they booked their tickets yet? If not, get the return part refundable. :thumbup:

happynz Oct 9th 2007 1:16 am

Originally Posted by jajpe (Post 5402476)

If the work permit is for twelve months or more onward travel is waived as NZIS is aware that plane tickets cannot be booked twelve months in advance.

jajpe Oct 10th 2007 6:16 am

many many thanks - i shall drop them an email. don't know how long visa for but job offer for about 9 months at the mo. no tickets booked yet. didn't know you could get tickets refundable so that's all useful. thanks again