Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Many questions from points indicator to EOI queries

Many questions from points indicator to EOI queries

Old May 5th 2008, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Many questions from points indicator to EOI queries

Originally Posted by Sue R
Hi there, I'll try and help again!

You do not have to have gained that work experience in NZ to claim the points, so you get 10pts if you have 2-5y or 15pts if over 6yrs

The NZIS say this:

I took it as meaning that you can only claim pts for work experience if it is in either a comparable labour market or in an area of skill shortage.
You don't gain extra points for your work being in a comparable labour market anyway.
I have 10 years work experience anywhere, and I'd not work in comparable labour market, but my work experience is on Long term shill shortage list, so that I can claim 30 points, and I can't claim "Number of years work experience in any one of New Zealand's areas of absolute skills shortage", am I correct?

Do you mean can you claim points for a qualification in an area of skill shortage even if it was not gained in NZ?
If so then I would say yes, I have, it just brings it up on the online form as you fill it in. See below

The above are all from the EOI guide on the NZIS website.
Does that help? It's given me a good excuse not to do any more packing tonight!

Sue
I'd try to study the help on Point Indicator but it is a little bit unclear, so I ask here, thank you
Old May 6th 2008, 9:26 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Many questions from points indicator to EOI queries

I have 10 years work experience anywhere, and I'd not work in comparable labour market, but my work experience is on Long term shill shortage list, so that I can claim 30 points, and I can't claim "Number of years work experience in any one of New Zealand's areas of absolute skills shortage", am I correct?
Work experience is assessed as being in an area of absolute skills shortage if:
i. it was undertaken in an occupation included on the LTSSL, and
ii. it meets the specification for that occupation, and
iii. the applicant is suitably qualified by training and/or experience to undertake that work
You must also prove that you held occupational registration during the time you undertook that work experience if necessary.

From the above it looks like you can claim 30 points for your work experience as it's on the LTSSL even though not in a comparable labour market.
I don't know whether you can claim the points for "no. of years work in one of NZ areas of absolute skills shortage". Though it would seem strange to let someone gain points for their work experience even though not in a comparable labour market but then not let them claim the extra for being on the LTSSL. My gut feeling would be that you can claim both sets of points [45] as that is what all the NZIS definitions seem to be saying.

It might be worth you contacting NZIS directly to make sure you get this right as I don't think I can do much more as far as explaining what to do about your work experience. You can email NZIS via their website, they may take a few days to reply though! Go into contact us and click on email. Alternatively scroll down and pick whichever office you'll be dealing with and click on that.

Sue