Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Many questions from points indicator to EOI queries

Many questions from points indicator to EOI queries

Old May 1st 2008, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough
Default Many questions from points indicator to EOI queries

1) Do you have a recognized post-graduate New Zealand qualification?

I would like to ask, what is the difference between recognized post-graduate qualification and recognized post-graduate New Zealand qualification?

If my post-graduate degree not study in New Zealand, but my university and my country occur in List of Recognized Qualifications, can I claim the point of recognized post-graduate New Zealand qualification?

2) Do you have a qualification in any one of New Zealand's: areas of absolute skills shortage?

I would like to ask, if my qualification and my job occur in area of absolute skills shortage, but my qualification not received in New Zealand, and I'm not work in New Zealand, can I claim this point?

3) Was the work experience gained in a comparable labour market or an area of absolute skills shortage?

I would like to ask, if my job occur in an area of absolute skills shortage, but I'm not work in New Zealand, can I claim this point?

4) Does your partner have a recognized basic qualification?

If my partner just awarded a higher diploma, can I claim this point?

Thank you.
Old May 1st 2008, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough
Default Do you think I need to attend IELTS?

I'm live in Hong Kong and my university degree and post graduate master degree taught in English, and my working environment need to use English but mostly not talk in English. I'm not native English speaker.

In general, do I need to attend IELTS?

Thank you
Old May 1st 2008, 3:52 pm
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, we're International House Sitters! :)
Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think I need to attend IELTS?

As I understand it, this depends on what type of application you are making.

Are you applying to go as a student, a skilled migrant, on a working holiday?

This page might help:

https://immigration.custhelp.com/cgi...i=&p_topview=1

Good luck!
Old May 1st 2008, 5:24 pm
Ewan

ewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really nice
Default Re: Asking for points indicator

Originally Posted by immigrants
1) Do you have a recognized post-graduate New Zealand qualification?

I would like to ask, what is the difference between recognized post-graduate qualification and recognized post-graduate New Zealand qualification?

If my post-graduate degree not study in New Zealand, but my university and my country occur in List of Recognized Qualifications, can I claim the point of recognized post-graduate New Zealand qualification?

2) Do you have a qualification in any one of New Zealand's: areas of absolute skills shortage?

I would like to ask, if my qualification and my job occur in area of absolute skills shortage, but my qualification not received in New Zealand, and I'm not work in New Zealand, can I claim this point?

3) Was the work experience gained in a comparable labour market or an area of absolute skills shortage?

I would like to ask, if my job occur in an area of absolute skills shortage, but I'm not work in New Zealand, can I claim this point?

4) Does your partner have a recognized basic qualification?

If my partner just awarded a higher diploma, can I claim this point?

Thank you.
Hi there,
1.From my understanding of the questions for you to have a recognised post graduate New Zealand qualification you would need to have studied in NZ. If your Uni is on the list of rcognized Uni's and your qualification is recognized you would get points for the recognised post grad qualifications.
2.If your qualification is recognized and your job is relevant to your qualification you would get points for this, you can find a list of recognized occupations at NZIS website.
3. Again there is a list of comparable labour markets at NZIS website.
4. Not sure on this one.
This is only my understanding of what it is...I am no expert. I'm sure someone will be along far more knowledgeable than me.
Good luck.

Last edited by ewanainsworth; May 1st 2008 at 5:25 pm. Reason: spelling mistake.
Old May 2nd 2008, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Asking for points indicator

Originally Posted by ewanainsworth
Hi there,
1.From my understanding of the questions for you to have a recognised post graduate New Zealand qualification you would need to have studied in NZ. If your Uni is on the list of rcognized Uni's and your qualification is recognized you would get points for the recognised post grad qualifications.
2.If your qualification is recognized and your job is relevant to your qualification you would get points for this, you can find a list of recognized occupations at NZIS website.
3. Again there is a list of comparable labour markets at NZIS website.
4. Not sure on this one.
This is only my understanding of what it is...I am no expert. I'm sure someone will be along far more knowledgeable than me.
Good luck.
2. I would like to ask, if my qualification has been recognised by New Zealand but my qualification not study in New Zealand, can I claim this points?

3. Sorry that I want to ask "area of absolute skills shortage", if my work experience not in New Zealand but my work experience in "area of absolute skills shortage", can I claim this point?

Thank you
Old May 2nd 2008, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Do you think I need to attend IELTS?

Originally Posted by Water Lily
As I understand it, this depends on what type of application you are making.

Are you applying to go as a student, a skilled migrant, on a working holiday?

This page might help:

https://immigration.custhelp.com/cgi...i=&p_topview=1

Good luck!
I want to apply skill migrant, and I want to ask anyone can share your experience if you similar with me? Thank you
Old May 2nd 2008, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Default What is the meaning of "in any one of New Zealand's"

I'm checking out my eligibility of Skill Migrant

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

I feel very confuse the mean of "in any one of New Zealand's"

Such as:

i) Is your work, or offer of employment, in any one of New Zealand's areas of absolute skills shortage

ii) Do you have a qualification in any one of New Zealand's areas of absolute skills shortage

iii) Number of years work experience in any one of New Zealand's areas of absolute skills shortage

Do this mean that, if my work experience not in New Zealand but occur in "absolute skills shortage" I can claim the point or it can claim the point only if my qualification received in New Zealand or my work experience in New Zealand?

The other questions is "Was the work experience gained in a comparable labour market or an area of absolute skills shortage", can I claim this point even my work experience not from New Zealand?

Thank you
Old May 2nd 2008, 8:27 am
Just Joined

George2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the meaning of "in any one of New Zealand's"

To answer you questions in reveres order. The labour market test applies to any applicant not on the skilled shortage list. Immigration NZ have a list of countries who they consider have the same or similar market as New Zealand.

The first question, I think you have sort of answered it yourself with out actually realising it. If your work experience is outside NZ and is on the skills shortage list and it is for two or more years, then you generally can claim points for it. If your work experience is in a comparable market and is for two years or more you may also claim points for it.

Hope this answered your question.
Old May 2nd 2008, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: What is the meaning of "in any one of New Zealand's"

Originally Posted by George2008
To answer you questions in reveres order. The labour market test applies to any applicant not on the skilled shortage list. Immigration NZ have a list of countries who they consider have the same or similar market as New Zealand.

The first question, I think you have sort of answered it yourself with out actually realising it. If your work experience is outside NZ and is on the skills shortage list and it is for two or more years, then you generally can claim points for it. If your work experience is in a comparable market and is for two years or more you may also claim points for it.

Hope this answered your question.
I would like in my case, do i), ii), iii), my answer is Yes or No?

"Was the work experience gained in a comparable labour market or an area of absolute skills shortage?", my answer is Yes or No? My country not in "comparable labour market"

Thank you!
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Default What is the meaning of "claiming ?? points for work exp"?

I'd browsed the website about the selection points from EOIs:

http://formshelp.immigration.govt.nz...ionPoints.html

It has a sentence that:

All EOIs claiming 15 points for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage and with a points total between 100 and 135 points

I would like to ask, what is the meaning of "15 points"? Does it mean that the points got from Relevant Work Experience + absolute skills shortage?

How can I know how many points for my work experience?

Do this "work experience" mean New Zealand work experience or anywhere absolute skilles shortage work experience?

Thank you!

Last edited by immigrants; May 2nd 2008 at 10:37 am.
Old May 2nd 2008, 11:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Many questions from points indicator to EOI queries

I have merged all the questions and threads into one place. That way the answers will all be together to help you.
I see from previous posts that you have looked to elsewhere in the world. I hope you find a place to settle on soon.
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:19 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I'll try to help, to start with what is your job and is it on the long term skills shortage list?

When you fill in an EOI you get a certain number of points for how many years work experience you have whether in NZ or not. You then get additional bonus points if you gained all or some of that experience in NZ. You also get additional bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage: 15pts for over 6 years work and 10pts for 2-5years work. This is the 15pts you referred to in your last post.

So for example I gained a total of 45 points for my work experience as it's on the LTSSL: 30 points for over 10years work experience plus 15pts for it being on the LTSSL. I also gained an extra 10pts for having a qualification that's on the LTSSL.

On NZIS website you can bring up a table of how many points you get for everything and for how many years you have to have worked etc. You can also do the points calculator which should tell you how many points you will gain overall. Alternatively fill in an EOI online as it totals up your points as you fill it in. You don't have to send it!
Hope this helps
Sue
Old May 4th 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue R
Hi,
I'll try to help, to start with what is your job and is it on the long term skills shortage list?

When you fill in an EOI you get a certain number of points for how many years work experience you have whether in NZ or not. You then get additional bonus points if you gained all or some of that experience in NZ. You also get additional bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage: 15pts for over 6 years work and 10pts for 2-5years work. This is the 15pts you referred to in your last post.

So for example I gained a total of 45 points for my work experience as it's on the LTSSL: 30 points for over 10years work experience plus 15pts for it being on the LTSSL. I also gained an extra 10pts for having a qualification that's on the LTSSL.

On NZIS website you can bring up a table of how many points you get for everything and for how many years you have to have worked etc. You can also do the points calculator which should tell you how many points you will gain overall. Alternatively fill in an EOI online as it totals up your points as you fill it in. You don't have to send it!
Hope this helps
Sue
I'm very confusing what is the meaning of:

1) Number of years work experience in any one of New Zealand's:
areas of absolute skills shortage?

This sentence mean that even my work experience not in New Zealand but my work experience occur in Long-Term Skill Shortage List I can claim the points if my work experience over 6 years?

2) I'm also don't understand, what is the difference of this if I have absolute skills shortage:

Number of years work experience in any one of New Zealand's:

and

Was the work experience gained in a comparable labour market or an area of absolute skills shortage?

Can I claim both of this?

3) With the similar situation, can I claim the point of this even my qualification not gain in New Zealand? Thank you!

Do you have a qualification in any one of New Zealand's:
Old May 4th 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Hi immigrants,

I have posted my total points and my answers to the questions in the post called 'Total Fees". It may help you a little bit. I am not sure if I have answered them right, but at least you can see them.
Old May 4th 2008, 6:29 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, I'll try and help again!

1) Number of years work experience in any one of New Zealand's:

This sentence mean that even my work experience not in New Zealand but my work experience occur in Long-Term Skill Shortage List I can claim the points if my work experience over 6 years?
You do not have to have gained that work experience in NZ to claim the points, so you get 10pts if you have 2-5y or 15pts if over 6yrs

2) I'm also don't understand, what is the difference of this if I have absolute skills shortage:

Number of years work experience in any one of New Zealand's:

and

Was the work experience gained in a comparable labour market or an area of absolute skills shortage?
The NZIS say this:
Comparable labour market
A labour market is the commercial environment in which people exchange their work for income and where employers
and workers ‘trade’ on the demand for, and supply of, skills. If you do not have skilled employment in New Zealand or an
offer of skilled employment in New Zealand, or if your work experience is not in an area of absolute skills shortage, you
can only qualify for points for your work experience if it is in a labour market that is comparable to New Zealand.
SM 11.10.1 Definition: Comparable labour market
a. Work experience is assessed as being in a comparable labour market if it was undertaken in one of the following
countries by:
i. a citizen or permanent resident of that country; or
ii. a person who had the lawful authority to work in that country.
Australia
Austria
Belgium-Luxembourg
Canada
Cyprus
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Iceland
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Japan
Malaysia
New Zealand
Netherlands
Norway
Philippines
Portugal
Republic of South Korea
Singapore
South Africa
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States
b. Work experience undertaken in a country not listed at (a) above will be assessed as being in a comparable labour
market only if it was undertaken for a multinational commercial entity (including a wholly or majority owned
subsidiary of such an entity that bears the same core name as the parent company) domiciled in one of the
countries listed in (a) above.[/
I took it as meaning that you can only claim pts for work experience if it is in either a comparable labour market or in an area of skill shortage.
You don't gain extra points for your work being in a comparable labour market anyway.

3) With the similar situation, can I claim the point of this even my qualification not gain in New Zealand? Thank you!
Do you mean can you claim points for a qualification in an area of skill shortage even if it was not gained in NZ?
If so then I would say yes, I have, it just brings it up on the online form as you fill it in. See below

SM 16.20 Qualifications in an area of absolute skills shortage
a. If a principal applicant does not have skilled employment in New Zealand in an area of absolute skills shortage
(see SM8.20), their recognised qualification will be assessed as being in an area of absolute skills shortage if it
is listed as a qualification (or is assessed as comparable to a qualification) in Column 4 of the Long Term Skill
Shortage List.
b. If a principal applicant does have skilled employment in New Zealand in an area of absolute skills shortage (see
SM 8.20) their recognised qualification will be assessed as being in an area of absolute skills shortage if the
specialist, technical or managerial expertise required for that employment was obtained through the completion
of that qualification.
c. Recognised qualifications in an area of absolute skills shortage only qualify for points if any occupational
registration requirements relating to those qualifications are met (see SM 19.15 on page 22).
The above are all from the EOI guide on the NZIS website.
Does that help? It's given me a good excuse not to do any more packing tonight!

Sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.