British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   machinist (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/machinist-561300/)

ben123 Sep 13th 2008 3:30 pm

machinist

Hi,

I hope someone can help.
Is it me or is is the process some what confusing?
I am a skilled machinist manual/cnc and a company in Christchurch are interested in me.I can`t make out how I would make it.
Going over as a permanent resident or on work to residence do I need to be on the LTSS list.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BEVS Sep 14th 2008 11:04 pm

Re: machinist

Hi there.
Let's see if we can help a bit. I agree. It is very confusing to start with isn't it.

No. For work to residence , the skill does not have to be on either of the shortages lists.

Are you one of these please?

Occupations:
323211 Fitter (General)
323212 Fitter and Turner
323213 Fitter-Welder
323214 Metal Machinist (First Class)
323215 Textile, Clothing and Footwear Mechanic
323299 Metal Fitters and Machinists nec
If so, you are correct in that these do not seem to appear on either the Long Term or Immediate Shortage lists.

From the New Zealand Immigration website :-

Originally Posted by NZIS
What if my occupation is not on one of the lists?

If you want to apply for a temporary work visa/permit (or as an employer recruit temporary workers from overseas), the occupation does not have to be on one of the lists. The employer must show that they have genuinely searched for suitably qualified and trained New Zealander workers, and we will undertake a labour market test. Alternatively, an employer with Approval in Principle may be able to recruit employers from overseas.

an employer with Approval in Principle would be an employer on this list - yes I know - more blummin' lists.:p

So , as I see it, if you have an NZ employer willing to offer you a job, you would be looking at the Work to Residence policy.

As your occupation and trade skill is not on either list, your employer must prove to NZIS that there is no NZ resident that could take that job. They will do that by showing proof of advertising , training schemes etc. They will need to fill in an employer for to apply for Approval in Principle.

You would need the job offer in place first. Make sure you are being offered a good going rate of pay to match the current NZ pay rate for your skill. Once you have this in your mitts and the completed employers form from your Christchurch employer, then complete the Work to Residence application.

If this employer is on the accredited list I have linked to above, then it's OK. They do not have to do the employers form, it is taken as read that they are short of suitable employees.

Of course, you must meet the standards set by NZIS. This means that you will need to show by trade quals and/or work experience that you are qualified for the work.

If you are wanting to come and start up in NZ sooner rather than later with this possible job offer , you could always apply for a temporary work visa first & then go onto apply for residency.

I hope this starts you off a bit. come back to all of us with any questions or thoughts.

ben123 Sep 15th 2008 3:36 pm

Hi,

Thank you very much.
You have been a great help,I`m a little confused now.

Thanks,

Alan

BEVS Sep 18th 2008 12:19 pm

How are you confused ?

The first thing that needs to happen if you have an NZ employer interested in employing you is for them to check with NZ immigration that they can legally offer you the job.

ben123 Sep 19th 2008 3:46 pm

Hi,

Sorry Bevs, I ment to say a little less confused.:thumbsup:
The company that has offered me a job are registered via immigration, so this helps a great deal I believe.I am a First class Machinist(323214)
A checked on EOI ,I gain 150 points.I want to apply for permanent residence before moving out, the company are prepared to wait 4-5 months,a little tight but I`m sure I can string it out if need be.I have a young family so it`s not a matter of get up and go,I have a house and schooling etc to deal with.

Thank you

Alan