British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Looking to move to NZ. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/looking-move-nz-912059/)

manc31us Apr 23rd 2018 6:20 pm

Looking to move to NZ.
 
Hi, My wife (38) and I (47) live in Manchester, UK and are seriously considering applying to New Zealand using the Skilled Migration route. As we both have professional qualifications (Social Work). I wondered if you could give us some advice.

We have not set our sights on anywhere particular but would be thinking Auckland, Christchurch or Wellington, due to our professions.

Also, how does health care work in NZ, is it true that medicare covers the basics and the rest is through private insurance...

I know one should not listen to rumours but I have heard that annual leave is low in NZ, 4 weeks annually but I thought logically there would be a difference between Local Authority and the private sector.

Spacecake799 Apr 23rd 2018 7:20 pm

Re: Thinking of moving to New Zealand
 

Originally Posted by manc31us (Post 12487514)
Hi, My wife (38) and I (47) live in Manchester, UK and are seriously considering applying to New Zealand using the Skilled Migration route. As we both have professional qualifications (Social Work). I wondered if you could give us some advice.

We have not set our sights on anywhere particular but would be thinking Auckland, Christchurch or Wellington, due to our professions.

Hi
Have you tried the points calculator?
I would ask why New Zealand and are you financially stable?
Good Luck

manc31us Apr 23rd 2018 7:39 pm

Re: Thinking of moving to New Zealand
 
Hi Spacecake799, yes I have had a play with the points calculator and appear to be able to score 150 to 190.

I am left wondering though, how do we (wife and I) get a job offer before documents are secured...

When you say financially stable, what do you see as financially stable?

simonsi Apr 23rd 2018 7:51 pm

Re: Thinking of moving to New Zealand
 

Originally Posted by manc31us (Post 12487514)
Hi, My wife (38) and I (47) live in Manchester, UK and are seriously considering applying to New Zealand using the Skilled Migration route. As we both have professional qualifications (Social Work). I wondered if you could give us some advice.

We have not set our sights on anywhere particular but would be thinking Auckland, Christchurch or Wellington, due to our professions.

Also, how does health care work in NZ, is it true that medicare covers the basics and the rest is through private insurance...

I know one should not listen to rumours but I have heard that annual leave is low in NZ, 4 weeks annually but I thought logically there would be a difference between Local Authority and the private sector.

No there is a good public health system, not sure if you are asking from a point of view of working in it or being kept healthy by it? Not sure of the social work framework.

Yes minimum holiday entitlement is 4 weeks plus statutory holidays - not sure why a “difference” public/private would be logical though?

manc31us Apr 23rd 2018 8:06 pm

Re: Thinking of moving to New Zealand
 
Hi simonsi, I was asking about health care from a being kept healthy point of view. As for the logical Local Authority v's Private Sector, my experience they can differ. As you say minimum holiday entitlement is 4 weeks, as it is here in the UK but you can build this up with length of service. For example, I currently have 6 weeks and 3 days due to how long I have worked for L.A

simonsi Apr 23rd 2018 8:15 pm

Re: Thinking of moving to New Zealand
 

Originally Posted by manc31us (Post 12487603)
Hi simonsi, I was asking about health care from a being kept healthy point of view. As for the logical Local Authority v's Private Sector, my experience they can differ. As you say minimum holiday entitlement is 4 weeks, as it is here in the UK but you can build this up with length of service. For example, I currently have 6 weeks and 3 days due to how long I have worked for L.A

In that case the main day to day difference is you will pay for doctors visits. Length of service benefits (indeed most UK benefits), are relatively uncommon in industry here, no idea about public medical. Most medical immigrants on here though seem to describe taking a hit in seniority to gain a role here and having to work back up over time so you might need to consider the impact of that.

Spacecake799 Apr 23rd 2018 8:24 pm

Re: Thinking of moving to New Zealand
 

Originally Posted by manc31us (Post 12487578)
Hi Spacecake799, yes I have had a play with the points calculator and appear to be able to score 150 to 190.

I am left wondering though, how do we (wife and I) get a job offer before documents are secured...

When you say financially stable, what do you see as financially stable?

Well you seem fine on the points. I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the direction of the right places to look for work.
TradeMe has a job section, take a look there see if there are any relevant. Often in NZ you are going through an agency and so its best to find something, apply and then if you don't hear anything phone them, explain what your doing.
You will find once you have a firm plan as to when you intend getting there they are more likely to be interested.

Financially stable as in do you intend selling your house in the UK? Do you have savings? NZ is very expensive.

simonsi Apr 23rd 2018 8:25 pm

Re: Thinking of moving to New Zealand
 

Originally Posted by manc31us (Post 12487578)
Hi Spacecake799, yes I have had a play with the points calculator and appear to be able to score 150 to 190.

I am left wondering though, how do we (wife and I) get a job offer before documents are secured...

When you say financially stable, what do you see as financially stable?

You will need 160 plus to get selected from the EOI pool, not worth putting one in otherwise BUT the DHBs are all Accredited employers so can write job offers that you can use to support your visa application anyway:

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/tools-and-information/tools/accredited-employers-list

And this might help

https://www.careers.govt.nz/jobs-database/health-and-community/community-services/social-worker/

No idea whose definition of financially stable Spacecake means, I tend to assume you are an adult asking the questions you want to, to fill in the info gaps you have...

manc31us Apr 23rd 2018 9:24 pm

Re: Thinking of moving to New Zealand
 
Thanks, I will take a look at job info. I assume all people in NZ are not millionaires and therefore NZ has some affordability to it...I understand that some things are more expensive but we have no kids, so there is a saving right away.

What is entailed in the medical checks in relation to the immigration process...


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:26 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.