Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Looking for an immigration adviser please

Looking for an immigration adviser please

Old Jul 7th 2022, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

SailingStef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for an immigration adviser please

Hi, I've not found the answers to my questions on this or another forum, so I'd like to pay for some advice regarding the application for PR visa by partnership (British, with Kiwi husband, long time married, offshore from UK and NZ ) . I've already completed but not submitted the form, and it looks straightforward enough in my situation but there are a few things I'd like to have clear in my mind before I submit and pay the money. Does anyone have any good experiences with advisers to share? Many thanks
Old Jul 7th 2022, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for an immigration adviser please

I assume that you have already asked the questions on here?
Old Aug 31st 2022, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

SailingStef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for an immigration adviser please

Hi, yes, sort of. I posted quite a long introductory post and got zero responses.
I've extracted my main question below which is regarding the route to PR via a NZ partner who has been offshore for more than 5 years.

I am British and have been married to a Brit/Kiwi for a really long time. He left NZ when he was a teenager and lived in UK since then.
We left UK on a sailing boat to go to NZ quite a few years ago, and due to us moving very slowly and multiple obstacles on the way we are still only in Panama, about halfway. Still some obstacles to overcome before we can settle in NZ, but I have been wondering about applying for permanent residency for me in the meantime, so that it is ready when we need it. He obviously has the right to return as he has a current NZ passport.
A long long time ago we bought a house in NZ and rented it out, something for us to live in when we got there. This has obviously worked out really well. We don't get much income from it, so we are not really rich. We both pay NZ tax on our income from the property as non-resident tax payers,and have done for >10 years

This is my understanding of the choices, please correct my interpretation or add an opinion as you wish.
A) I could wait until we sail into NZ to apply for PR, but then we would have to stay there for more than 6 months of the year for 2 years and I think it would be a 2 stage process for residency. After 6 months I would be tax resident and that would have complications for my small pension in UK (not got it yet) and small income there.
B) We apply for my PR now, with my husband still as an expat, who has not set foot in NZ within the last 5 years. When I last looked, this appeared to be a kind of fast track to PR with an open ended arrival date in NZ. When we finally decide to enact it and stay in NZ we would have 4 year tax leniancy to get our affairs sorted.