British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Looking at going, How long from EOI to visa ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/looking-going-how-long-eoi-visa-784280/)

Geoff-Deb Jan 18th 2013 3:56 pm

Looking at going, How long from EOI to visa ?

New to the forum,

I have had a job offer which would suit me if we did get a ITA, Its not in NZ but I,m a Merchant Navy Engieering Officer so my job tends to be at sea (Most of the time) this Job has a 10 week on/off rotation, but I,m just looking at the time scale regarding the EOI and the visa process I know every one is different and my points dont get me automaticaly selected (15 short of the 140) but just wonder what an average time scale is ? If I do get a ITA.

M_and_M Jan 18th 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Looking at going, How long from EOI to visa ?

I started the process in the last week of November with the EOI. It was selected (I have 205 points) on 12 dec. I had the ITA offer on 7 Jan. Once I have collected all the stuff I need to complete that application (around 6 weeks once I have waited for stuff to come back) I am told the visa will take 1-3 months to complete. I guess that all adds up to 6 months?

Geoff-Deb Jan 18th 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks, I guess them ponts are for two of you? still 6 months is a quick turnaround. Any idea were your heading?

Woodlea Jan 18th 2013 11:53 pm

To the OP, if you don't have the points and won't be getting a job with an NZ company I don't think you'll get a visa. I was in a similar situation as an hydrographic surveyor working at sea on a ad hoc basis, however I had enough points but they still wouldn't give me a visa until I got a job with an NZ company. Can you get a job with an NZ company? Also remember that if you carry on at sea you won't get citizenship as you have to be in the country for 270 days per year in each of the 5 five years prior to applying for it.
Good luck!

Geoff-Deb Jan 19th 2013 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Woodlea (Post 10491964)
To the OP, if you don't have the points and won't be getting a job with an NZ company I don't think you'll get a visa. I was in a similar situation as an hydrographic surveyor working at sea on a ad hoc basis, however I had enough points but they still wouldn't give me a visa until I got a job with an NZ company. Can you get a job with an NZ company? Also remember that if you carry on at sea you won't get citizenship as you have to be in the country for 270 days per year in each of the 5 five years prior to applying for it.
Good luck!

I,ve enough points to go in the pool for the skilled migrant, just means I may not get an ITA.
I,m looking at getting a job with a NZ company but doesnt seem a lot about, as for citizenship, if they are short of ships Engineers, which in most cases do a lot longer away from home than at home then how do they expect him or her to become a citizen ?

Woodlea Jan 19th 2013 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Geoff-Deb (Post 10492023)
I,ve enough points to go in the pool for the skilled migrant, just means I may not get an ITA.
I,m looking at getting a job with a NZ company but doesnt seem a lot about, as for citizenship, if they are short of ships Engineers, which in most cases do a lot longer away from home than at home then how do they expect him or her to become a citizen ?

My sentiments exactly, it's not as though I was in a different country - just at sea. I worked with a chap who came over from the UK with his parents when he was a baby. They never got him citizenship. He served in the NZ navy for 20 odd years and then started working offshore. Last time I heard he was still trying to get citizenship but hadn't been in the country long enough!

Geoff-Deb Jan 19th 2013 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Woodlea (Post 10492043)
My sentiments exactly, it's not as though I was in a different country - just at sea. I worked with a chap who came over from the UK with his parents when he was a baby. They never got him citizenship. He served in the NZ navy for 20 odd years and then started working offshore. Last time I heard he was still trying to get citizenship but hadn't been in the country long enough!

Thanks, I guess the wife and little one be be citizens, with a UK husband and father:lol: I wonder who I will pay tax to ?

M_and_M Jan 19th 2013 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Geoff-Deb (Post 10491780)
Thanks, I guess them ponts are for two of you? still 6 months is a quick turnaround. Any idea were your heading?

No, the points are all on me: qualifications plus a job offer. Currently heading to South Island.

Geoff-Deb Jan 19th 2013 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by M_and_M (Post 10492750)
No, the points are all on me: qualifications plus a job offer. Currently heading to South Island.

Nice one, its a catch 22 regarding my qualifications as some are related when I worked for myself in boiler repairs and being gas safe Registered, not a lot of central heating out there, and they didnt have anything to do with my job on the short list.

South Island is nice, been around it on my first visit and last time I was there I was sailing from port to port and had two days with my Brother and his family in Dunedin.

Good Luck

Woodlea Jan 19th 2013 8:11 pm

You will pay tax to the country of residence (and there's no seafarer's tax rebate here :( ). My mate has a central heating company here in Rangiora, PM me if you want his details.
Good luck.

BEVS Jan 21st 2013 8:36 pm

Hi there .
Interesting one eh Woodlea.

First. To be clear on the terminology.

When you apply under the skilled migrant category, you are hoping to gain NZ Residency.
One can apply for NZ Citizenship only after 5 years as an NZ resident.

I read you are 15 points short of that magic old 140 for an automatic selection.
Look back over the history of selections HERE. Scroll down to see how the selections have panned out.
If part of your points are bonus points for absolute shortage you could be in with a shot.

A hurdle I see is in you proving "ability to settle". When points are a bit short, shall we say & there is no NZ job offer then NZIS will often conduct a phone interview to check out how you intend to manage/afford your new NZ life.
If they feel there is potential to settle into an NZ life given skill set etc. they would then offer a job search visa rather than straight NZ residency. THis would mean you would have to gain an NZ offer of employment within a certain time frame to gain the residency and so be able to remain here.

With regards to the citizenship thing years down the line or , indeed, for applying for permanent residency after the first 2 years. For those whose work takes them overseas over and above the days usually stated , they would need to use the tax resident as proof they were NZ resident. It's slightly different approach but workable.

Are you thinking of submitting an EOI without an NZ job offer then ?

I take it that a merchant seaman can be resident anywhere in the world but still be able to take up a merchant seaman position on a vessel.

I wonder how NZIS would view this as an ability to settle. After all it shows income doesn't it.

Geoff-Deb Feb 1st 2013 1:43 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10497224)

Are you thinking of submitting an EOI without an NZ job offer then ?

I take it that a merchant seaman can be resident anywhere in the world but still be able to take up a merchant seaman position on a vessel.

I wonder how NZIS would view this as an ability to settle. After all it shows income doesn't it.

EOI was submitted last week,

Merchant Seamen can be residents in most places, but must hold the correct certificates for his/her job depending on the vessel and where it is registered etc.

New Zealand, Australia and UK recognises each others qualifications gained and is an easy process regarding the application to gain the same qualification for that country if required.

To settle is our goal as we are not looking at returning to the UK to live and intend on selling up so nothing to return too, have read a few posts regarding folks who have returned and looking at the reasons I find it strange they moved in the first place, but never say never.

Have applied for a few Jobs so will wait and see, have to arrange for an interview over skype or simmilar for next week, I,ve been told the company I,m applying for are not that keen on immigrants due to past experiances, can understand this and would say it affects most companies, but fingers crossed and with over 26 years in my profession think I may have something to offer, only thing is its based in Aukland, as its an every day job.

Other sea going jobs tend to be either weeks away or months etc, so could settle anywhere, preference is the South Island, Dunedin area..... but to get the foot in the door not worried were we locate to as long as we dont have 9 months of rain like here (UK).