Looking for any advice!

Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:11 am
Just Joined

HarveyG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for any advice!

Hi,

I am thinking of emigrating but I'm not completely sure where I stand. I have a degree (BSc) in Computer Science from the (QMW) University of London but I only have two years experience in the industry as I only graduated in 2005.

Does anyone know what my status would be? I filled out the form but I'm not sure whether that gives me 105 or 115 points - the long term skills shortage list only includes IT if you have more than 3 years work experience.

I don't figure I'd have any trouble finding a position in NZ due to the general stae of the industry, references etcetera so I'd be grateful for any advice - what would be the best way to apply etc.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:21 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Looking for any advice!

Hi Harvey,

You could come here and get a job in your field. You can enter on a visitor visa, look for a job (nothing illegal about that. You just cannot work legally without a work permit or residency). Assuming you find a job you can apply for a temporary work permit. If the permit is for less than twelve months you needn't get police clearances or medicals. However, if the offer is longer you would need the cop report and meds.
Seeing as how you appear to need another year's experience I'd suggest you get the one year temporary work permit and then, if you find New Zealand to be a suitable fit for you, go ahead and apply for permanent residency.