Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Long term biz visa, can you apply in country?

Long term biz visa, can you apply in country?

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

BritandDutchie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long term biz visa, can you apply in country?

I have a friend who asked me to ask for her, they want to apply for a long term biz visa, they already have an est. company but after 5 emails to NZ immigration they never reply if they can apply IN country or if they have to apply before they arrive.

Anyone know?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long term biz visa, can you apply in country?

Originally Posted by BritandDutchie
I have a friend who asked me to ask for her, they want to apply for a long term biz visa, they already have an est. company but after 5 emails to NZ immigration they never reply if they can apply IN country or if they have to apply before they arrive.

Anyone know?
To my knowledge, a visa (to any country) cannot be applied for from within that country. A visa, by definition, is a document which allows you to travel to the destination country and ask to be admitted. If one is already in the destination country, they cannot obtain a visa to go to that country.

Perhaps there is something else they can do from within the country, but it won't be applying for a visa.

Rene
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
To my knowledge, a visa (to any country) cannot be applied for from within that country. A visa, by definition, is a document which allows you to travel to the destination country and ask to be admitted. If one is already in the destination country, they cannot obtain a visa to go to that country.

Perhaps there is something else they can do from within the country, but it won't be applying for a visa.

Rene
expert in NZ immigration now too?

They have an in country price and out of country price to apply, and different addys for in country vs out of country, so it would seem silly to list that if you can't apply in country, no? But I have no idea, figured there where people here who have moved to NZ from abroad, maybe someone else knows
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Anyone know?
Hi, we are currently in the process of applying for a LTBV from the UK. Just prior to Xmas we spoke to the business immigration manager who said applications from within NZ take priority to oversea applications, so maybe you can. However you still need to be able to enter the country on some sort of visa in the first place.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moonie2011
Hi, we are currently in the process of applying for a LTBV from the UK. Just prior to Xmas we spoke to the business immigration manager who said applications from within NZ take priority to oversea applications, so maybe you can. However you still need to be able to enter the country on some sort of visa in the first place.
how long do you think it will take? I saw on one site you can enter on a tourist visa then apply. No idea why the NZ site isn't clearer on the topic
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No. I'm not an expert in anything. Perhaps you CAN apply for a visa to enter NZ from inside NZ. But that just sounds odd to me. There certainly can't be a NZ embassy within NZ. So where would you go inside NZ to apply for a visa to get into NZ??

Rene
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

how long do you think it will take? I saw on one site you can enter on a tourist visa then apply. No idea why the NZ site isn't clearer on the topic
We started our LTBV journey in May, submitted the application in August, and we are still fighting to get it approved We also used a NZ immigration advisor as i'ts one of the more complicated visas.
They do say up to 3mths process time if everything is in order. Unfortunately we had a case officer who kept changing the goal posts so the whole process has been lengthy for us. I know another BE Forum user that got theirs within 3mths
You have to show what actual business you will be buwying/applying for and have a business plan specific for that business within the application
Hope this helps, any more q's just ask and I will help if I can
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

No. I'm not an expert in anything. Perhaps you CAN apply for a visa to enter NZ from inside NZ. But that just sounds odd to me. There certainly can't be a NZ embassy within NZ. So where would you go inside NZ to apply for a visa to get into NZ??

Rene
I assume it's similar to the AOS the USCIS does in some cases.

NZ seems to encouraging immigration
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
Sorry Noorah but you are wrong. You should always check what you think are facts before you state them. Your definition is incomplete. For example, a visa can be issued to enable you to stay within a country , not merely to enter it.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Rene
Completely correct.

If travel to the destination country is to take place, it is a visa.

If one is already within the destination country, it is a permit.

Visa controls the entry and departure to/from a country.

Permits are about allowing the person leave to remain in the destination country.

Now you people can nitpick if you so wish, it won't change how it is and it won't help with the LTBV application.

That's not very nice & I've no idea why you have responded in this way. Noorah was trying to help and was, in fact , correct in what she wrote.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 4th 2013 at 12:15 am.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:14 am
Account Closed

It is called a long term business VISA, they don't call it a permit so I didn't.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:17 am
`

NZ seems to encouraging immigration
Does it?

It's slashed it's shortages lists the last year or so and brought in new rules to tighten up family type applications.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:50 am
`

I have a friend who asked me to ask for her, they want to apply for a long term biz visa,
Please see above reference the differences between a visa and a permit. What your friends wants to do is apply for a visa to enter New Zealand & gain a permit to remain. To do that she wishes to enter under the Long Term Business Category.

they already have an est. company but after 5 emails
to NZ immigration they never reply

if they can apply IN country or if they have to apply before they arrive.

Anyone know?
They only way they could enter NZ would be with a temporary entry visitor visa .That visa will state how long they may remain. They should state the purpose of their visit. They may be able to extend this but it will remain a visa governing entry and departure, not a permit to remain.

There is nothing to stop them making an application under the Long Term Business category regardless of whether they are in the country or outside of it.

Please note that establishing a business here in NZ prior to making an application under the Long Term Business category does not guarantee a successful outcome. That somewhat depends on whether NZ sees the business as being of benefit to New Zealand & New Zealanders.

Further note that what they would be applying for is a form of work permit ( if within NZ) work visa ( if offshore). That allows them to remain to live and work in NZ on a temporary basis. They would need to prove to NZIS that they have a successful, established business benefiting NZ before they could apply to become resident in NZ. I believe the time frame for that is 2 years.

As you have read some have found it extremely hard to prove their case and business plan. Others have been successful.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:55 am
`

It is called a long term business VISA, they don't call it a permit so I didn't.
No. It is the Long Term Business Category.

If successful a form of long term business temporary work visa or permit would be issued.

Visa is from outside of NZ. This will also contain the time frame for entry into NZ once the application has been approved.

Permit if from within NZ.

However I am happy to defer to your far greater knowledge.

Over to you. I'm out.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 1:13 am
Account Closed

some snarky folks mod'ing this site, how sad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.