British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   loads of visa questions...sorry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/loads-visa-questions-sorry-701213/)

clairepete Jan 18th 2011 1:49 pm

loads of visa questions...sorry

I spoke to an agent today and he was very helpful and informative but I now have a few more questions that I forgot to ask him. So here goes, I know there are some helpful people on here :)

Work Experience...is there a minimum number of hours for this to count (as there is when applying for Aussie visas and you have to have worked 20 hours per week)? I work as a supply teacher so my hours vary each week.

We talked about, as a last resort, going out on a 6 month tourist visa and getting jobs face to face. He said that we would then need a temp work visa. Would this then replace the tourist visa? If so, how long is the temp work visa valid for?

It is my understanding that if I got a Temp work visa then hubby could get one too and my children would need study visas to be able to go to school. Would we have to pay school fees on these study visas? I presume these are valid for the same amount of time as the temp work visa.

Wow I have loads of questions buzzing around my head...I guess I'm not alone though!!

Claire

clairepete Jan 18th 2011 2:09 pm

Re: loads of visa questions...sorry

Just read up on PAR. Yes it is cheaper than a full Qual Assessment but am I right in assuming that it doesn't replace it. Is it just a quickie to save you money if you are unsure that your quals are accepted?

I am already quite sure that my 4 year B.Ed honours degree is accepted so should I just go for the full assessment?

BEVS Jan 18th 2011 8:07 pm

Hi there and welcome back to BE.

I see from your posts to that ole Aussie forum that you are a teacher and your OH is a Ships Foreman.

Here is a link to the official NZIS - New Zealand Immigration website. ( please click the link ) Have a good browse around the Skilled Migrant Category.

Also , please try the official NZIS POINTS INDICATOR. It's a very useful tool and will give you some insight as to how the application process to emigrate to New Zealand works.

Yes. If you come to New Zealand and gain a job offer but do not have PR , then you will need to apply for a temporary work permit . Your OH would apply for an open work permit on the back of your application and for your children it would be student visas.

Yes. NZ has rules about what constitutes a job offer. In brief. It should be ongoing , fulltime and indefinate with an average of 30 hrs per week.

So .... you are a teacher :) Are you a secondary school teacher or a primary school teacher.

A PAR is acceptable to NZIS for some occupations. However for overseas teachers NZ Teacher Council registration is required & for that a full NZQA assessment is required.

If I were you and I'm not :p I'd start another thread in the main NZ forum about the teachers and teaching. We have a few teachers around who can give you their first hand experience of what to do and where to go ref. registration and employment.

Is a Ship's foreman the same as a Ship's Master? Does he have qualifications for this?

clairepete Jan 18th 2011 8:42 pm

Hi there, thanks for the info BEVS. I thought I might need the full quals assessment!! It's not my luck to need the cheaper one lol

NO, hubby isn't a ships master unfortunately as I think this is on the list. He is in charge of a group of men who load and discharge the huge cargo ships. No shortage in NZ :(

I'm a Primary teacher but when I mentioned hours in my first post I was referring to the points you get for work experience for the EOI. Would I have to give details of hours worked or just how many years in employment. As I mentioned before I am a supply teacher so although I have been teaching for 4 years, some weeks I am working every day and some weeks none at all. Just wondered if this would affect my application at all.:confused:

BEVS Jan 18th 2011 9:22 pm

oopsie... lol

NZIS state this

SM11.15 Additional requirements for recognition of work experience
  1. Work experience only qualifies for points if an immigration officer is satisfied that the principal applicant's work experience is lawfully obtained.
  2. Work experience will not be recognised if it was gained while in a country where the principal applicant was either an unlawful resident or required authority to undertake employment, but did not have such authority.
SM 11.15.1 Part-time work
  1. Calculation of levels of work experience must be for complete weeks based on a 30-hour week.
  2. Credit is given for 30-hour weeks only, even though a principal applicant has worked more than 30 hours in any week.Example: Fifty-two 60-hour weeks are equal to one years work experience.
  3. Credit for part-time work experience may be given on a proportional basis.Example: Four years work experience for 15 hours per week is equal to 2 years work experience for a 30-hour week, and therefore qualifies for 10 points.

HTH

BEVS Jan 18th 2011 9:24 pm

Yes. You will have to prove your work experience when it comes to the ITA stage.

You do this with pay slips ;contract of employment; IR data protection printout etc

edit....

Nice beach in your profile pic by the way. Where is it?
You just need an avatar now to be fully dressed.

clairepete Jan 18th 2011 9:32 pm

Oh dear!!

I'm getting that brick wall feeling again. As a supply teacher I only have opportunity to work 33 weeks of the year (this is all schools are open for) and not all of them have been 30 hours! :'(

BEVS Jan 18th 2011 9:53 pm

HHmm. This is a math calculation.

For a PR application work experience points will be on how many years you can claim.

How many years have you been a supply teacher? Can you peg the hours worked per annum.

BEVS Jan 18th 2011 10:00 pm

Right the. Am back again although I simply must go and do something useful in a minuate and have some lunch.
I didn't want you to go to bed with a brick wall feeling.

I knew I had read of someone else in the past who had variable work hours and successfully proved it with NZIS. The link to the thread is HERE

clairepete Jan 19th 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks for that link BEVS, I had already gone to be all deflated ha ha but it has given me slight hope. I will have to find out how many hours they class a teaching day. My wage slips say either full day or half day so not much help there!

So am I right that I have to add up all of the hours I have done in the last 4 years (since starting supply teaching) and see how many lots of 30 hours I have? It's not going to be many I think considering that school holidays are zero hours :( plus the first weeks of the new school year are VERY quiet for supply teachers.

Maybe a phone call to NZ house would help me suss it out, as a full time teacher would have the same predicament with zero hours/holidays???? Cor who knew it was this complicated lol

BEVS Jan 19th 2011 8:06 pm

Can I just ask. Have you had a go at the NZIS points calculator ?
What points did you come out with ?

You know. Having been working part time doesn't necessarily affect a PR application. It is all about the points and then proving the points you have claimed for.

Work Experience points are

2 years 10 4 years 15 6 years 20 8 years 25 10 years 30

First things first.

I will have to find out how many hours they class a teaching day. My wage slips say either full day or half day
Yes . Do that and also get it in writing if you can. You have been supply teaching for 4 years but you may well have wracked up enough hours to add 10 points to your application as per 2 years work exp. Points mean prizes in this game.

Before ringing NZ house on a very expensive number start a thread in the main NZ forum about teachers and teaching. We have teachers on the board that may be able to answer much more specifically.
In that thread ask about how they proved their work experience hours and also ask about how they got their job offers.

Back to some of your other questions.

If you are on a temp work visa and your kids are on student visas there will be no school fees to pay. Please be aware that schools in NZ require a 'donation'. It is a fee in a way but not extortionate.
You won't be able to enrol your kids into school on a tourist visa.

Yes. The visas will be valid for the same length of time as the temp work visa /permit that would be issued to you. The length of the visa will depend on the length of the contract given to you by the employer. So, if it is for a year, then a one year visa is what you will get.

Your husband would get an open work visa on the back of your application and this would allow him to work at anything .

Yes again. In theory you could come. Enter NZ on a tourist visa for the purpose of a holiday . Find a job and then apply for a work permit. Be aware that this isn't strictly kosher but people do it.

You would then go onto applying for PR under the skilled migrant category a.s.a.p. provided the job offer was good enough to do that.

clairepete Jan 19th 2011 8:42 pm

Yes I did do the points online. It came out at 95 without a job offer. This was when I thought I had 4 years exp. What if I can't scrape together 2 years because of the 33 week school year restriction? :( is it a no-go unless I have 2 years min?

I will try and collect, in writing, a statement from each school that I work at confirming how many hours I actually do in a full day. I read on the Aussie forums on here that they (Aussie Immigration) only count a full supply day as 6.5 hours. That's a joke! When I am covering Maternity leave or such like I work 7.30 til 5.30 (and through dinner hour....then more planning work for the next day on an evening....and planning for the next week on a weekend!!! I am insulted at this 6.5 hour codswallop!!) Rant over lol

Can I just take this opportunity to say what a great boost you are being to me BEVS :D (not sure if you are Bev or if it's just a username..hence my use of BEVS) you are keeping my chin up!!!

Claire

blueballsuk Jan 19th 2011 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by clairepete (Post 9114220)
Yes I did do the points online. It came out at 95 without a job offer. This was when I thought I had 4 years exp. What if I can't scrape together 2 years because of the 33 week school year restriction? :( is it a no-go unless I have 2 years min?

I will try and collect, in writing, a statement from each school that I work at confirming how many hours I actually do in a full day. I read on the Aussie forums on here that they (Aussie Immigration) only count a full supply day as 6.5 hours. That's a joke! When I am covering Maternity leave or such like I work 7.30 til 5.30 (and through dinner hour....then more planning work for the next day on an evening....and planning for the next week on a weekend!!! I am insulted at this 6.5 hour codswallop!!) Rant over lol

Can I just take this opportunity to say what a great boost you are being to me BEVS :D (not sure if you are Bev or if it's just a username..hence my use of BEVS) you are keeping my chin up!!!

Claire

Will have to say a big thanks to you claire as its now made me realise i was sending in my eoi with 10 yrs work experience when i have only worked 18 hrs per week for the last 10 years. Im gutted but thanx for questioning it before i send in eoi with false info :(
Do you know if im able to just half my work experience due to me working 18 hours per week for the last 10 years or do i not get to put any experience on the eoi???
thanx, claire

clairepete Jan 19th 2011 9:13 pm

From what I can work out yes, sounds like you have 5 years experience...not as good as 10 but better than nowt I suppose :p

clairepete Jan 19th 2011 9:14 pm

Maybe even 6 years as you have done 18 hours which is more than half of 30 hours :thumbsup: