Liver Tests and exercising

Old Aug 5th 2009, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light
Default Liver Tests and exercising

We had the dreaded medicals 2 weeks ago - mine and sons came back absolutely fine - OH's liver test was not good - infact it was awful! This was not what we expected I can tell you! the doctor said the usual - more tests and the obligatory liver scan (£370 thank you very much!)

He's extremely fit & healthy, doesn'tdrink and is a veggie - so what the heck was going on? We just couldn't figure out what it could be, the doctor suggested it could be the vitamins that he takes to supplement his diet - so he laid off the vitamins. Anyhow I did the uusual search on the forum came across someone who had mentioned about exercise causing problems with the liver etc. OH is a gym junkie! ah ha - we might have something here! the day before his medical he did his usual gym stint - running like stink/rowing/weight training. I did a search on the net about body builders having normal GLT's but massively raised AST & ATL's (his was 158 by the way - off the scale), seems as though levels 24 - 36 hours after you've exercised can be high.

So I banned him from the gym - he went for his blood test on Monday - and guess what? everything was disgustingly normal! But the doctor has said he has still got to go for the scan!

It might not be the case for everyone - and he may have got lucky this time, but I know a lot of people who are trying to get their BMI down are going to the gym so I thought that I would let you know our story. That was 5 days away from the gym and miracuously they had gone down somehow.

Liff
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

sam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Liver Tests and exercising

Hi Liffy,

Guess what? I have experienced the same case of your OH:eeg: Unluckily decided to go to gym 10 days before the Medical (My be to relief the stress of collating the ITA documents that time) The doctor called me up 6 days away from the checkup and asked me to see him for the result, and I was shocked when he told me that my AST & ALT are elevated around 2 times upper the normal range the doctor was surprised as well, he knew that I looked healthy and I never drink.
I did lots of search on the net and found that strenous exercises could elevate the AST & ALT levels I stopped going to gym after this, and went for another test 10 days away from first one and every thing was very normal the doctor asked me to do a third test in his Lab and the enzymes were still normal. Thanks God So don't worry Liffy. I am sure that your OH medicals will be ok since he is extremely fit and healthy. Good luck Cheers...

Sam