British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   A little info required please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/little-info-required-please-500647/)

nicolaossy Dec 19th 2007 9:08 am

A little info required please

I am a teacher, looking to come to nz at beg august. Dont have enough points to get a put in an EOI, without a job offer. Plan is to come on a holiday visa and find work. My daughter will be 5 then and ideally i would like to settle her in school before i start work. Am i correct in thinking that I will have to pay international school fees for her to attend school if I havent got a work visa and how much are these?

Any comments about other options please advice. Havent ruled out trying to get a job before coming out, just want to have time to settle my daughter, dont want to arrive and work at the same time. As currently she goes to breakfast club and out of school club, therefore dont know any of her friends parents as never take her to school, feel it is important to make a network of friends, for her and me!

Thanx for any help

simonmarkellis Dec 19th 2007 9:34 am

Re: A little info required please

Originally Posted by nicolaossy (Post 5684209)
I am a teacher, looking to come to nz at beg august. Dont have enough points to get a put in an EOI, without a job offer. Plan is to come on a holiday visa and find work. My daughter will be 5 then and ideally i would like to settle her in school before i start work. Am i correct in thinking that I will have to pay international school fees for her to attend school if I havent got a work visa and how much are these?

Any comments about other options please advice. Havent ruled out trying to get a job before coming out, just want to have time to settle my daughter, dont want to arrive and work at the same time. As currently she goes to breakfast club and out of school club, therefore dont know any of her friends parents as never take her to school, feel it is important to make a network of friends, for her and me!

Thanx for any help

Hi nicolaossy,

We did something similar, but in the end had to wait till my son's visa came through as very few schools are geared up for taking international students (well where i live anyway). I believe they are about $2k-$3k per term (might be wrong). But once you have a job offer and permit, a student visa takes less than two weeks to come through. Saying all this I do no of some people whose schools would take kids without visa's as regular students, as the felt visa's would be forthcoming.

Maz Dec 20th 2007 7:25 am

Re: A little info required please

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 5684264)
Hi nicolaossy,

We did something similar, but in the end had to wait till my son's visa came through as very few schools are geared up for taking international students (well where i live anyway). I believe they are about $2k-$3k per term (might be wrong). But once you have a job offer and permit, a student visa takes less than two weeks to come through. Saying all this I do no of some people whose schools would take kids without visa's as regular students, as the felt visa's would be forthcoming.

Correctamundo. :thumbup: Our daughter started at school in a Porirua suburb without a student permit and I was actually only 2 days away from getting my work permit. They just processed her enrollment when we got the student permit. :thumbup: