British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Are lawyers worth there money for visas? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/lawyers-worth-there-money-visas-915858/)

Yates Aug 9th 2018 2:25 am

Are lawyers worth there money for visas?

Hi peolpe.

With my two visa options are being a essential skilled visa or skilled migrant as I left it too late for an accredited company as would need a 3 month trial.

My questions are, are lawyers worth there money for there assistance in filing your visa?

Looking at how much a skilled migrant visa is, around $4000/4500 to process my self. I’ve been quoted by one law firm an additional $7000/7500 for there legal fees.

For any one that’s done it them selves is the application precess hard going alone? Or can anyone recommend a lawyer/ solicitor who would be reasonably priced?

Im not thick but would hate to miss out.

Thanks in advance.

MrsFychan Aug 9th 2018 3:35 am

Re: Are lawyers worth there money for visas?

generally we only recommend using an agent if the process is going to need something like a medical waiver/asylum seeking or the like. most applications are very straight forward, you just need to work through the information booklet to make sure you are filling out the application form properly and have the necessary criteria to uplift a visa. Using a agent you would still need to provide all the paperwork for them to shuffle into the correct order, it also means you do not get a relationship with the CO as they would go through the agent and you will hear things second hand.
Save the money if your application would be straight forward

Yates Aug 9th 2018 4:42 am

Hi.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I don’t see why it wouldn’t be straight forward. Just wondering over the temporary visa I would need or is this something they outline in the information pack you receive?

Thanks

MrsFychan Aug 9th 2018 6:33 am

so do you have a job offer??

Yates Aug 9th 2018 8:14 am

sorry I should of said before.
Ive been here almost 9 months on WHV doing working as a Bricklaying in Christchurch.
My boss is happy to keep me on for the either visa I apply for.

MrsFychan Aug 12th 2018 7:09 am

he may well be happy to keep you on but is he legally allowed too? is he an accredited Company, can he not get someone in either island to cover the vacancy??
Bricklayer is on the skill level visa as well as 1 temp visas nad immediate skill level but that visa must be taken up within Auckland so not applicable here.
To get a more permanent visa on the skill level visa you would need to met the criteria and salary threshold - no lawyer/agent will be able to help you with that

http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/bricklayer/

Yates Aug 12th 2018 8:55 am

The visa would be a skilled migrant visa and Bricklaying is on the short lists except the long term short list.
No he’s not an accredited company and only needs to adverse if I was applying for an
essential skilled visa.
For the skilled migrant visa you get extra points for working outside of Auckland and my wages are $27 ph
this advice you have given has confused me as everything you’ve said is different than the NZ immigration website which I believe would be correct.
Correct me if I’m wrong?
Thanks

MrsFychan Aug 12th 2018 7:36 pm

please see the link I have given for bricklayer, this is just for a normal bricklayer, if you have other skills that give you a different title then please check with the Immigration site, as you see from that link there are 3 possible visas, Skill level, on that wage of $27 you come under the level 1 which is a temp visa for 3 years, the Canterbury Skill Shortage, Job offer must be in Canterbury area and the Immediate Skills visa that is for the Auckland and Upper North Island.
Sorry wires crossed as I assumed you were looking for a more permanent visa

Yates Aug 13th 2018 12:36 am

All good.
One minute it make sense to me then it didn’t the next.
There are 2 visa options available to me: essential skilled and skilled migrant.
I am looking for long term, residency.
The link tells me that Bricklaying is level 3.
Also it says I can apply for a skilled migrant visa, which I intend to do, as long as I meet the criteria: qualifications, experience etc to get enough points which I do. Think i got to 180 points.

Sorry if im confusing you even more.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...8d98d47dee.png

That’s what it says at the bottom of the skill level classification.

BEVS Aug 13th 2018 3:06 am

Hi there.

We talked before I think about plumbing and/or gasfitting.
I agree. There seems to be several crossed wires here.
From the previous conversation you are looking to remain in NZ long term & so have explored remaining in NZ using a UK gas qual . You are in Christchurch.

Originally Posted by Yates
Ive had too many wet days off work Bricklaying which I don’t get paid for.

First and foremost. Your job offer & contract must be full time and permanent. $27 is about the going rate.

I assume you are a UK time served qualified brickie happy to do the block work .

As you are talking about points I assume you are looking at the skilled migrant residency visa. Is this the case please?

If the job offer and contract is solid. If you have the relevant quals and work exp. If you are of good health and character , then you will not need an immy consultant really. You can do this yourself.

Note: ANSCO Bricklayer is skill level 3 for the trade. For NZQF the level is 4.

If claiming points for quals then they must match the level required which is 4. That will be through quals that are exempted from needing an NZ assessment - C&G/NVQ for example or quals that will need an NZQA assessment to show they meet the Nz standard.

What bricklaying trade quals do you hold?

Yates Aug 13th 2018 6:39 am

Hi BEVS
yes we did speak before but the 2 recruitment agency’s for accredited companies could not help me and the others needed a 3 month trial and I would of had to relocate.

Yes I am in Christchurch and I’m currently employed with a signed contract for Bricklaying.

yes I’m hoping to go for the skilled migrant visa and yes I’m a time served bricklayer.

Im happy to hear that I can file my application by myself.

My quals are City and Guilds NVQ level 3 in Bricklaying along with Advanced construction award for bricklaying. ( side qualification)
sorry I’m a little confused by what level my quals equal. Are they high enough to meet the needed level?

Thanks along for your input and knowledge