British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Kiwi with English partner (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/kiwi-english-partner-891722/)

Kiwi28 Feb 16th 2017 9:42 pm

Kiwi with English partner

Oh dear, can I get some advice from you folks as you've been through this process already?
I am a Kiwi and my partner is english, he has a job offer in Auckland and we are going down the Partnership-based temporary Visa route. The guidance on the website says the processing of these visas takes 28 days? Also I am now panicking as I couldn't find any evidence that I needed to provide a police certificate?! My partner has got his and has had his medical so we were going to send off our application this weekend.
We sort of told his job offer we'd hope to be there by May... bit worried we'll have to push that back now!

escapedtonz Feb 17th 2017 5:23 am

Re: Advice needed on partnership visa application

Originally Posted by Kiwi28 (Post 12181932)
Oh dear, can I get some advice from you folks as you've been through this process already?
I am a Kiwi and my partner is english, he has a job offer in Auckland and we are going down the Partnership-based temporary Visa route. The guidance on the website says the processing of these visas takes 28 days? Also I am now panicking as I couldn't find any evidence that I needed to provide a police certificate?! My partner has got his and has had his medical so we were going to send off our application this weekend.
We sort of told his job offer we'd hope to be there by May... bit worried we'll have to push that back now!

If you're a Kiwi then you don't have to provide anything other than your documentation that proves you are a Kiwi, so I assume you will use your kiwi passport. You cannot be turned away from your own country no matter how good or bad you've been :eek:
I don't have to provide anything at the UK border when I go back so neither should you.

As for your partner......

This is really important......How long have you been together as a couple under the same roof and can you provide hard copy evidence of that loving stable relationship under the same roof for that period ?

If you have been together for at least 12 months and can prove that period then at the border in NZ, with you stating that you are coming home to live here and pledging to support your partners application for a visa he will be given a Partnership Resident Visa. If you have been together for 5 years or more and again state the same things at the border then he should be given a Permanent Residency Visa.
So, if you meet the partnership criteria there's no need to bother with the Partner of a Citizen temporary visa route as he should meet the criteria for a permanent visa type instead.

If you don't meet the 12 months minimum period then yes you'll have to go for either the Parter of a kiwi citizen temporary work visa or Partner of a kiwi citizen visitor visa until a time that you do meet the minimum partnership criteria to then re-apply for the Partner of a kiwi citizen Resident Visa.

Kiwi28 Feb 17th 2017 8:12 am

Re: Kiwi with English partner

Ah ok I am a bit confused. I thought I had replied to a previous thread I had been reading from December "Advice needed on Partnership Visa Application"
In it two separate parties mentioned that the kiwi partner in the application (supporting the application of the english partner) had applied for a police certificate, and one of them said the visa was actually waiting on the arrival of the kiwi's police certificate.
Sorry to be confusing, I wasn't asking if I needed a police cert to get into New Zealand, I was wondering if I needed a police cert to put through with my partner's application to prove I'm of good character to support his application?

escapedtonz Feb 17th 2017 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi28 (Post 12182168)
Ah ok I am a bit confused. I thought I had replied to a previous thread I had been reading from December "Advice needed on Partnership Visa Application"
In it two separate parties mentioned that the kiwi partner in the application (supporting the application of the english partner) had applied for a police certificate, and one of them said the visa was actually waiting on the arrival of the kiwi's police certificate.
Sorry to be confusing, I wasn't asking if I needed a police cert to get into New Zealand, I was wondering if I needed a police cert to put through with my partner's application to prove I'm of good character to support his application?

Ah, yes. If you are supporting a partners application then yes you do need to be of adequate character and you do need to provide police certificates for every country you have lived in longer than 12 months. Immigration will arrange for your NZ police certificate to be done so one less to worry about I suppose.

Kiwi28 Feb 17th 2017 10:40 am

OK, the reason I am confused is that on the application form for Partners supporting Partnership-based Temporary Entry Applications,
Question B10 says: Have you been convicted...etc
Underneath the blank space for the answer, in small type it states "We will advise you if we need you to submit police certificates"
In the partnership temporary visa guide it mentions being of good character but does not state a police cert will be required to support this. I can't find any reference to myself needing a cert, only one for my english partner...?

escapedtonz Feb 17th 2017 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi28 (Post 12182255)
OK, the reason I am confused is that on the application form for Partners supporting Partnership-based Temporary Entry Applications,
Question B10 says: Have you been convicted...etc
Underneath the blank space for the answer, in small type it states "We will advise you if we need you to submit police certificates"
In the partnership temporary visa guide it mentions being of good character but does not state a police cert will be required to support this. I can't find any reference to myself needing a cert, only one for my english partner...?

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa

Look at "Your partners character" and click on evidence. You have to meet this.

Kiwi28 Feb 17th 2017 12:23 pm

Ah right, we are not going for permanent resident we are applying for temporary work visa. Thank you for that link though as I have now found the equivalent page for the Partnership-based Work Visa
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...s-visa-holders
It says they MAY ask me to provide a police cert but doesn't stipulate that I must....after all that I might just get one done anyway to be on safe side. Yet another cost. But the NZ Imm website really could be better too!!

Thanks for your help

MrsFychan Feb 17th 2017 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi28 (Post 12182324)
Ah right, we are not going for permanent resident we are applying for temporary work visa. Thank you for that link though as I have now found the equivalent page for the Partnership-based Work Visa
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...s-visa-holders
It says they MAY ask me to provide a police cert but doesn't stipulate that I must....after all that I might just get one done anyway to be on safe side. Yet another cost. But the NZ Imm website really could be better too!!

Thanks for your help

I really wouldn't bother to get one unless they ask for one, they are only valid for a certain amount of time. More importantly you need to get your relationship paper work right.