British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Kind request for Skilled Migrant Visa Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/kind-request-skilled-migrant-visa-help-857677/)

twcdouglas May 6th 2015 7:19 am

Kind request for Skilled Migrant Visa Help

Hi all,

So I am about to lodge an application for an EOI under the Skilled Migrant category and I have a few questions I was wondering whether anyone could answer.

As a bit of background - I am a Chemical Engineer with 7yrs experience in oil and gas. I have claimed points for this qualification as it is under the Long Term Skilled Workers List and applicable to an area of Absolute Skills Shortage. My soon-to-be wife is a Teacher and I have not as yet claimed any points for her teaching qualifications. I currently have 155pts without this and without a job offer. So my questions to you are:

1.) Do you feel I should go through the NZQA to get the points assessed even though we are above 155pts already or is that a pointless exercise?

2.) Is there anyone on here who has gained residency by having similar pts for the EOI but with no job offer?

Thanks so much for the help.

Tom :thumbsup:

escapedtonz May 7th 2015 10:00 pm

Re: Kind request for Skilled Migrant Visa Help

1) Pointless as NZQA do not assess EOI points. NZQA only assess international qualifications that are not exempt from assessment. If you are claiming for qualifications that are not on the exempt from assessment list for the country of origin you cannot claim points for them unless they have been assessed by NZQA.

2) Yes. Me.
We had the same points and no job offer. Hadn't even looked at jobs at the time.

Just reading the short snippet of info you have provided I'd be curious to learn how you have calculated your points. Maybe post all the EOI or Points Indicator questions and you're answers ?

twcdouglas May 8th 2015 6:59 am

Thanks for the reply.

I wrote the first question wrong, sorry! What I meant was should I get the NZQA to assess the qualification so that we can take account of the quail for points in the application. However, since writing that I tried putting in 20pts for example and because my partner already has 20 puts for her first degree the second quail didn't give anything extra. So going to proceed without.

To answer your question regarding where I have my points from see the following:
Qualification on Recognised List as level 8, on Long Term Skilled Shortage List and Absolute Skills Shortage List - 60pts
Work experience in area of absolute skills shortage for more than 6 years - 35pts (20 + 15)
Sister is a resident in New Zealand - 10pts
29 years of age (clinging on!) - 30 pts
Partners qualification on Recognised Qualification List - 20pts

Cheers,

T

escapedtonz May 8th 2015 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by twcdouglas (Post 11640217)
Thanks for the reply.

I wrote the first question wrong, sorry! What I meant was should I get the NZQA to assess the qualification so that we can take account of the quail for points in the application. However, since writing that I tried putting in 20pts for example and because my partner already has 20 puts for her first degree the second quail didn't give anything extra. So going to proceed without.

To answer your question regarding where I have my points from see the following:
Qualification on Recognised List as level 8, on Long Term Skilled Shortage List and Absolute Skills Shortage List - 60pts
Work experience in area of absolute skills shortage for more than 6 years - 35pts (20 + 15)
Sister is a resident in New Zealand - 10pts
29 years of age (clinging on!) - 30 pts
Partners qualification on Recognised Qualification List - 20pts

Cheers,

T

You only need NZQA assessment if the qualifications you and your partner wish to claim need assessment. No point if they are exempt from assessment. You'd just be wasting time and money.

You only get points for one qualification. This applies for the prinipal applicant and a partner applicant.
Normally the qualification chosen will be the one that affords you the maximum points.
With reference to the principal applicant the highest qualification will be a Masters Degree or Doctorate, however, if you are also wanting to claim points for absolute skill shortage in an occupation off the skill shortage list, these qualifications are too high to meet the requirements so you would be unable to claim the bonus points so the maximum you would get will be 60 points and you would lose out on the additional 15 bonus points.
The way around it is to claim for a lower qualification if you have one - i.e. a Bachelors degree at 50 points, but this meets the requirements of the absolute skill shortage occupation and allows the extra 15 bonus points.....not sure I have the points exactly right there but it shows the method in the madness :eek:
With reference to a partner, they can only claim 10 or 20 points and that all depends on their level of qualification and whether or not they meet the basic level of English. Up to Level 6 will be 10 points. Level 7 and above 20 points.

It appears from this post that you expect your qualifications are exempt as you say they are on the recognised list. You need to make sure your qualification and your partners qualification is on the exemption list before submitting EOI.

I agree putting in your credentials on the points indicator gets you to 155 with the 20 partner points which is a great score and will guarantee the EOI is selected from the pool at the next selection. Without a job offer the visa process will take around a year assuming there are no issues along the way with any of your evidence or medicals etc.

Hazelnut May 11th 2015 12:47 pm

Something that caught us out was I'm not sure you can claim Skilled Employment points for your work being in an identified future growth areas or area of absolute skills shortage if you don't have a job offer. You can claim points in the Qualification Area of the form though

Hopefully one of the more experienced people will clarify that.

escapedtonz May 11th 2015 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Hazelnut (Post 11642771)
Something that caught us out was I'm not sure you can claim Skilled Employment points for your work being in an identified future growth areas or area of absolute skills shortage if you don't have a job offer. You can claim points in the Qualification Area of the form though

Hopefully one of the more experienced people will clarify that.

You cannot claim points for qualifications or experience associated with identified future growth area UNLESS you either already live here and have a job in that area or have a job offer in that area.
It is only relevant to occupations in that area here in NZ, not in any other country.