Kids have Kiwi passports

Old Nov 29th 2008, 4:48 am
Just Joined

billybobsamandalex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kids have Kiwi passports

Can anyone assist , we lived in NZ for 4 years but did not get citizenship.

Both our children were born in NZ and have dual citizenship.

We are now thinking of returning to NZ , we could do a returning residents visa but wondered if our circumstances would enable us to become citizens?

If so how much longer will this take ,than returning as returning residents ?

many thanks.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 7:50 am
Just Joined

BExpat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kids have Kiwi passports

If you've got a returning residents visa.... then you've got no problem getting back to NZ.

The new rules for citizenship is 5 years (it was 3).... I'm not too sure whether it'd be 3 years for you tho, seeing as you've gotten your permanent visa earlier - but i vaguely remember there is a time limit by which the concession (i.e. applying under the old rules) applied for people who already had PR when the new rules came in, and if you're past that you'll have to have had 5 years in NZ.

Depending on how long you've been away from NZ i'm not sure whether any of that 4 years you've got already can count. Best to ask someone official.

Hm..... but if you've decided to settle back in NZ it shouldn't matter much - if you decide to leave before u get citizenship and u've got an indefinite RRV then you can return any time, and if you manage to get citizenship before you leave again then all's good

Originally Posted by billybobsamandalex

We are now thinking of returning to NZ , we could do a returning residents visa but wondered if our circumstances would enable us to become citizens?

If so how much longer will this take ,than returning as returning residents ?

many thanks.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 11:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Having NZ citizen children will not help you become citizens. You will need to return to New Zealand as permanent residents and apply when residentially qualified.

Depending on how long you were away, you may need to re-start the new 5 year waiting time from scratch.

http://www.citizenship.govt.nz

Have you checked to see if you are eligible for returning resident visas?
Old Nov 30th 2008, 12:46 am
Just Joined

Many thanks , we will return in the new year !
Old Nov 30th 2008, 12:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks , we will return in the new year !
Do you have returning resident visas?
Old Nov 30th 2008, 1:04 am
Just Joined

We left NZ on the 29th Sept 07.

Our residence permit says indefinite.

Our RRV says must not arrive after Feb 07.

I think we might qualify for a 1 year RRV ?

We both have job offers
Old Nov 30th 2008, 1:20 am
JAJ
Retired

We left NZ on the 29th Sept 07.

Our residence permit says indefinite.

Our RRV says must not arrive after Feb 07.

I think we might qualify for a 1 year RRV ?

We both have job offers
Did you not get the proper RRV before leaving New Zealand?

Have you looked at this page:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...eroctober1995/

(download the guide to RRV on the right hand side of the screen).

You might just be in luck to get an RRV. If you apply for an RRV now (say, 1 December 2008), then as far as I see they look back to 1 December 2006 and check to see did you hold a residence permit (physically in NZ as a permanent resident) for at least 184 days in either of the periods:

- 1 December 2006 to 30 November 2007; and
- 1 December 2007 to 30 November 2008.

Therefore, if you left NZ on 29 September 2007, you just about appear to meet the first requirement.

Don't make any assumptions yet before you have your response from NZIS, but you should apply for RRVs immediately.

As for citizenship, last time you were in NZ you came under the old 3 year rule. However, unless you can convince the Citizenship Office that your departure from NZ was temporary all along (not getting RRVs in advance sends the wrong signal, if they are smart enough to ask the question), then you are likely to have to wait 5 years.

The opportunity to apply under the 3 year rule ends on 21 April 2010 and if you have broken the 3 year continuity of residence then you are out of luck.

Why on earth did you not become New Zealand citizens before leaving, if you thought you might want to come back?
Old Nov 30th 2008, 1:32 am
Just Joined

I was temporarily disgruntled with life in NZ.

(Wanganui was going through a bad time)

My wife and everyone who knows us has told me how stupid I was at the time.

It was an incredibly naive mistake.

I just hope we can put it right

will apply first thing in the morning

many thanks for all your help