British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Keeping NZ Residency living in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/keeping-nz-residency-living-uk-581346/)

littlelollipop Jan 2nd 2009 2:04 pm

Keeping NZ Residency living in UK

Hi - does anyone know the rules regarding keeping your residence staus when living abroad. How long can you be out of the country on an Indefinate returning residence visa? Thanks.

NakiMan Jan 3rd 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Keeping NZ Residency living in UK

Indefinately?

at least thats what its name sugests

littlelollipop Jan 3rd 2009 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by NakiMan (Post 7123145)
Indefinately?

at least thats what its name sugests

There is a limit of 4 years apparently - need to clarify this but not getting anywhere. Where are you in Taranaki - I am from Hawera!

NakiMan Jan 3rd 2009 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by littlelollipop (Post 7123505)
Where are you in Taranaki - I am from Hawera!

Waverley, mid way between you and Wanganui

JAJ Jan 3rd 2009 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by littlelollipop (Post 7123505)
There is a limit of 4 years apparently - need to clarify this but not getting anywhere.

On an indefinite returning resident visa? Where did you hear this from and have you looked at the NZIS site?

NakiMan Jan 3rd 2009 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7123537)
On an indefinite returning resident visa? Where did you hear this from and have you looked at the NZIS site?

I've looked on the NZIS site, but cant find anything on this subject. I would have thought an "Indefinite" visa would be for ever, meaning that you can return to NZ at any time for the rest of your life.

Maybe, NZIS could refuse to transfer it, if you have been outside NZ for 4 years when you renew your passport?

littlelollipop Jan 4th 2009 9:09 am

Originally Posted by NakiMan (Post 7123641)
I've looked on the NZIS site, but cant find anything on this subject. I would have thought an "Indefinite" visa would be for ever, meaning that you can return to NZ at any time for the rest of your life.

Maybe, NZIS could refuse to transfer it, if you have been outside NZ for 4 years when you renew your passport?

I have emailed NZIS to check - I am not sure now where the info came from as I enquired before we left NZ as weren't sure how long we would be out of the country and I was under the impression that you ned to return within 4 years - even if it is just for a visit, to keep your IRRV alive. Unfortunatley a computer crash ate all my emails and I do not have the NZIS reply. Once I get a reply from NZIS I will let you know, as I don't want to mislead everyone!

I was born and bred in Hawera - it is my husband who is the UK Citizen. Hope you are enjoying the sunshine NakiMan.

JAJ Jan 4th 2009 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by littlelollipop (Post 7124649)
I have emailed NZIS to check - I am not sure now where the info came from as I enquired before we left NZ as weren't sure how long we would be out of the country and I was under the impression that you ned to return within 4 years - even if it is just for a visit, to keep your IRRV alive. Unfortunatley a computer crash ate all my emails and I do not have the NZIS reply. Once I get a reply from NZIS I will let you know, as I don't want to mislead everyone!

I was born and bred in Hawera - it is my husband who is the UK Citizen.

Did he not become a New Zealand citizen before leaving?

littlelollipop Jan 4th 2009 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7125305)
Did he not become a New Zealand citizen before leaving?

No - has had PR for 14 years but never bothered - never really thought there was a need but in hindsight, should have done it, as now will have to be back in NZ for 3 years to be able to apply. We had only intended being back in UK for 2 years but 'best laid plans' and all that.... unfortunatley are still here... waiting for a favourable exchange rate....

JAJ Jan 4th 2009 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by littlelollipop (Post 7125403)
No - has had PR for 14 years but never bothered - never really thought there was a need but in hindsight, should have done it, as now will have to be back in NZ for 3 years to be able to apply. We had only intended being back in UK for 2 years but 'best laid plans' and all that.... unfortunatley are still here... waiting for a favourable exchange rate....

It will probably be 5 years as they have increased the residence period and he has most likely broken his continuity of residence.
http://www.citizenship.govt.nz

littlelollipop Jan 4th 2009 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7125410)
It will probably be 5 years as they have increased the residence period and he has most likely broken his continuity of residence.
http://www.citizenship.govt.nz

He had PR before April 2005, so I read it as he would only need to ensure the 3 years continuity once we are back and will be able to apply. Kicking ourselves that we didn't do it so that we had the freedom to do what we want but hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

AilsaK Jan 4th 2009 8:54 pm

I've got NZ Permanent Res (indefinite) I'd been out of NZ for five years and my UK passport expired. Luckily I was going to NZ, I entered on a tourist visa with my old passport and they transferred my PR to new one without any problems - assume you can do same at the Embassy