Just waiting for immigration now

Old May 26th 2013, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

bakerbrina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just waiting for immigration now

Hi everyone

I am applying for residency under the skilled migrant category, I have a job (open term) in Wellington, and I am literally waiting to hear back from Immigration.

My concern is, that despite being in the immigration application system since mid April (E.G EOI, ITA), they took over 20 working days to send me my ITA once my EOI was selected, this is despite having a job offer. So all my forms are with the London Immigration office now, but I also have an over active thyroid (recently diagnosed eek but now controlled with medication), so I expect my application will get referred to MA, which will add further delays, and now it's bank holiday in the UK..

All the while the 17th June approaches.....

I am trying my best to remain calm, but in the absence of the green light by the 13th June (the latest I can fly), I am wondering if anyone else has experienced similar timelines? Should I be doing something more proactive?

B
Old May 26th 2013, 8:01 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just waiting for immigration now

timeline for ITA application is 3mths, unless it has drastically changed so hoping for application to be done by 17th June is a bit hopeful. You can't do anything to speed it up, they have their processes in place and won't be budged from them. It seems if you medicals are referred no further work is done until they come back.
your best bet if the job won't hold you position is to apply for a 12mth temp work visa to tide you over whilst the other is being processed. will cost a bit more but you may feel that is worth it
Old May 27th 2013, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakerbrina
Hi everyone

I am applying for residency under the skilled migrant category, I have a job (open term) in Wellington, and I am literally waiting to hear back from Immigration.

My concern is, that despite being in the immigration application system since mid April (E.G EOI, ITA), they took over 20 working days to send me my ITA once my EOI was selected, this is despite having a job offer. So all my forms are with the London Immigration office now, but I also have an over active thyroid (recently diagnosed eek but now controlled with medication), so I expect my application will get referred to MA, which will add further delays, and now it's bank holiday in the UK..

All the while the 17th June approaches.....

I am trying my best to remain calm, but in the absence of the green light by the 13th June (the latest I can fly), I am wondering if anyone else has experienced similar timelines? Should I be doing something more proactive?

B
Personally think you're going to struggle with the timeline. Once you have lodged the formal application with all your supporting documents, evidence, medical, police certificates etc it takes a while before an Immigration officer is even assigned to the case then they need time to pick through it with a fine tooth comb. Being realistic I can't see you getting to the point of the interview until at least 4 months after lodging the Residency application and I am assuming there are no hiccups along the way that can delay - eg Immigration asking for more evidence or confirmation of an item they don't fully understand or if your medical is referred to MA.

If it is a must that you have to be in NZ for the job by early/mid June then you need to apply for a temp work visa now. If all is ok this should be given in a matter of days so you can at least relax and book your flights, enter NZ and work whilst your Residency visa application is ongoing.
Yes it is more money and more effort but in my opinion your only option if you need to meet the job start date.

Good luck
Old May 27th 2013, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

bakerbrina is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone

That makes much more sense. No one in immigration (NZ or London office) has told me this....

So I have all my forms for the temporary visa, I just need to get my passport back (as it's with the skilled migrant team in London), and then it's good.

Thanks again everyone
Old May 27th 2013, 7:49 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakerbrina
Thanks everyone

That makes much more sense. No one in immigration (NZ or London office) has told me this....

So I have all my forms for the temporary visa, I just need to get my passport back (as it's with the skilled migrant team in London), and then it's good.

Thanks again everyone
all the information is on the Immigration website, I would double check that the timeline we have given is still the one they are working to. I know London office has taken on my countries applications so these timelines may well of been extended.
You can also follow your applications progress via the Immigration website but it will just say where they are along the line not how much longer it is going to take