British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Just a few questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/just-few-questions-612244/)

Delilah63 May 31st 2009 7:31 pm

Just a few questions

We are now approaching the point where we are going to have to book our flights to Nz to start our new life there and wondered if when emigrating is it possible to get an increased baggage allowance to get your clothing and valuables to NZ or do you have to just pack what isnt in the container and hope for the best at the airport as regards excess luggage.

My second question is what is the best method of getting my hand tools over to NZ so that when I arrive I can pick them up and be able to start work.

Third question is ,5 years ago I had a heart attack and am required to have a prescription filled every 3 months for my medication, how do I go about getting a Doctor in Nz issue me with the same precription and what is the cost of getting it filled.

Lastly what is the cost of medical insurance in NZ and is it worth having.

Matewx May 31st 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Just a few questions

Hey!
I can try n help re luggage allowances...
The best in my opinion is AirNZ via LAX with 2*23KG
You also have Emirates with 30KG, note that they are saying to be running a promotion through movingplanet.net where you can get 50KG allowance. You need to join movingplanet which I am unable to! Conditions are:
* It is valid for UK departing passengers holding British
passports only.
* The passenger must hold a valid migration visa stating over 1
year stay.
* It is not valid if you have a stopover (exit the airport) in
Dubai or anywhere else on the way.
* Tickets must be one-way (no return date or open returns).
* You must NOT have entered the country on the visa already.

After that it's you standard 20KG with most airlines... Some may give you additional on the odd request...
Unless you have an elite status on their Frequent Flyer Program??

Good luck with the other questions!

MnB May 31st 2009 8:54 pm

Hi
Have a look at www.sevenseasworldwide.com, havn't used them personally yet but have seen them recommended, maybe a solution re tools.
B

Persephone Jun 1st 2009 4:15 am

Hi
As Matewx says the best allowance is via Los Angeles at 2x23kg plus extras which is why I came that way.
Registering with a doctor is easy, just go along with your passport and fill in a form. It is best to do it in advance as I found out to my cost as most are registered with the local health authority [Kiwi equivalent] and consultations are half the cost if you are a fully enrolled patient. It took around 3-4 weeks to become registered for the discount. I had to show my RRV and residency permit to become registered-I don't know if the same applies if you are on a temporary visa.
It is probably worth you getting a copy of your doctors notes due to your condition and bringing them over. Also some medicines are funded and so are available cheaper than non funded ones. They may be exactly the same but manufactured by a different company and so have a different tradename. So worth looking at the generic name of your medicine and asking if there is a funded version.
You pay for consults, prescriptions and then the drug cost over here:frown:
As far as your tools go, I can't help I'm afraid, it depends on what they are but make sure you clean them VERY well:thumbup:
Sue:D