British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Just checking re Skilled Visa with a job offer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/just-checking-re-skilled-visa-job-offer-758027/)

Bemily May 12th 2012 11:12 am

Just checking re Skilled Visa with a job offer

Sorry if this is a really daft question, it's our first post and we've got ourself a bit confused ( mainly cause we keep getting thrown off the EOI website page and loosing info- but that's probably our poor internet connection.

My husband has a job offer for a skilled migrant visa. He has 100 points, or is we add his extra qualifications there are 160 points. We rather naively didn't realise that it takes 7 working weeks to get his masters verified, and we need to be in work there by december at the latest, preferably late october, early november.

Do you think that it's worth applying without the points for the masters? Would that be enough for us to get into the next EOI pool?

Stupidly we've been concentrating on selling our house over here and our new baby due in a couple of months and his new work told us they would hold our hand all the way through the process but we've realised that time is ticking on and although they don't seem too worried we are anxious to get things sorted.

Any advice would be really gratefully received.

Persephone May 12th 2012 12:27 pm

Re: Just checking re Skilled Visa with a job offer

Hello and welcome!
A little bit more info may be needed here as it's not clear from your post.
Can you explain how you get 160pts if you add extra quals? You can only claim points for one qualification unfortunately.
Depending on your circumstances another option could be to look at a Work to Residence visa or Work visa, those visas do not take as long to be granted. You may need to consider these if residency is taking too long. You can apply for more than one visa at a time.

Look at the History of selection points for 2012 So far this year all those EOIs with 100 points and a job offer have been selected.

Bemily May 12th 2012 1:09 pm

Thanks,sorry if unclear, think my husband said that he would have 160 points if he added his master's in, and he thought off the top of his head it would be 100 without it but i've just looked and it's 125.
Think his work are expecting us over on a skilled visa as it's a 6 year contract so we can get citizenship should we so wish.

Persephone May 12th 2012 1:40 pm

Still not sure how a masters adds in an extra 35 points but I may be missing something there.
I mentioned the other visas as they could get you over here and starting work sooner than it takes a SMC application to be granted [if you needed to get over here sooner]. All depends on the timing.
Currently the London branch say they are taking 1-3 months to process a SMC application with a job offer so plenty of time if you intend to arrive by December at the latest.
If you look at the history of selection points then you can see how likely you are to be selected and it looks good if the trend continues...

You have a lot to contend with- selling house and new baby and moving to a new country- no wonder you're confused;)
P:)

Bemily May 12th 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks, I think we're getting ourselves confused too! When we do the points indicator and he fills in his master bit he gets 180 ( I think off top of my head!)- and when not 125 :unsure:
I think he's just a bit unhappy that we hadn't forgotten about the visas but where assured we would be "hand held" through the process and nothing seems to be done or our questions answered so we are having to go it alone!
( Don't suppose it will make any difference that his job is for the government?!) ;)

BEVS May 14th 2012 10:09 pm

Question:

Have you now applied to have the masters verified ?

Bemily May 15th 2012 6:22 am

Not yet, he had filled it all in and the system crashed! He's had to go away with work but back at the end of this week so will begin it then. I think he said it takes up to 7 working weeks? Do you have any experience of this?

Persephone May 16th 2012 12:43 am

Does he need to get his masters verified or does he have enough points to get selected without it? What is the points breakdown?

BEVS May 16th 2012 12:47 am

May we have the breakdown of your points please? You may well be able to submit without the verification.

Bemily May 19th 2012 4:39 pm

Will check details when other half is back in country and get back to you! Think that we have 125 points without masters.