Joining my student partner

Old Aug 7th 2015, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

etemple23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joining my student partner

Hi Folks,

My partner is currently in the process of having her application to do her PhD in either Canterbury or Auckland universities. Naturally I'm going to be tagging along but, as the course is 4 years long, could use a bit of advice as to which visa would suit us best and what experiences expats have had with getting a job that isn't skilled or essential.

Any advice would be great! Thanks,

E.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joining my student partner

Uh-oh, you haven't had the talk after the 'I'm going NZ for 4 years' yet?!
Old Aug 7th 2015, 10:01 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you may not just be able to tag along on her student visa unless your partners visa is NZ Aid Programme so I would first check out that you can uplift a visa. "My partner in New Zealand holds a student visa. Can I apply under the Partnership Category?
No. To apply under the partnership category, your partner must be a New Zealand resident or citizen. However, you might be eligible to apply for a visitor or work visa as a partner/dependent of a long-term student. For more information, see Immigration instructions V3.10 and WF4."
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...lt.htm#student

If not then you would have to get one off you own back and without a skill that is skilled or essential it will be neigh on impossible to get a permanent visa . You could come over with her on a Working Holiday Visa, if you fit the criteria, which would give you at the most 23mths to be here.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Aug 7th 2015 at 10:02 pm. Reason: added link
Old Aug 8th 2015, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

maya_123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am doing my PhD and my spouse got his visa under the Partnership-Based Temporary
Visa category (INZ1198 and INZ 1146 both should be provided).

To apply for visa, you should be qualified as a ''partner'' as defined by INZ standards.
Check E4.5 Temporary entry class visa for partners and dependent children for the definitions.

I have no idea about government scholarships, but if your partner is self-funding or offered a scholarship by the university that she is intending to study, you get an open work visa (can work for any employer in any occupation). The difference of visa granted for the above two types is the duration that it is granted for.
If you have a scholarship, your will be granted a visa for the duration of the whole course. And if you are a self-funding student you will be granted a one year visa which must be renewed at the end of each year.

check the following link for more information;
Family Stream

hope this helps.

Cheers
Old Aug 27th 2015, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for your help, its nice to know from someone's experience of the matter!! Really is much appreciated I think, because we have my mother's wedding and our own wedding in the next year and a half (both will be over in the UK due to the whole family being this side of the world), we've been advised to go for the working holiday visa, extend that after the 1st year and we've been told we can extend that again for another 23 months or whatever it is!!

Thanks again!
Old Aug 27th 2015, 9:45 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you can apply for a 12mth working holiday visa then extend that to a total of 23mths and you would need a medical to do so.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

My maths went out of the window there... forgot how many months there were in a year (blame the lack of any caffeine to wake me up) I meant to say 12 months!!