British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   IT Jobs in New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/jobs-new-zealand-601187/)

Kari and Martin Apr 1st 2009 9:15 am

IT Jobs in New Zealand

Hi,

I am trying to get a feel of what it is like on the ground in the job market. I have been speaking to a recruitment agent and he has said that recruitment has been pretty slow and that companies are reclutant to wait for people, when they is alot of choice of candidates already in New Zealand.

One of the strategies he is suggesting is give up job etc in UK and travel to New Zealand and look for a job out there, is this what is required now?

What are strategies have other people used.

This feels like mixed messages.

Advice and guidance would be great.

Thanks

Kari

hosebergine Apr 1st 2009 9:42 am

Re: IT Jobs in New Zealand

This time last year we were advised to get over to NZ to find work - the visa chicken and egg situation is not new unfortunately. We were lucky as we have enough points to get PR before abandoning a good job in the UK for job hunting in NZ. Having looked at job sites from time to time over the last 12 months, there are fewer opportunities now but I think it depends on which area of work you are in. We have recently been told it is a "candidate-rich environment" out there.

Probably not as cheery and uplifting as you wanted - sorry. We're all facing the same leap of faith I think :unsure:

Kari and Martin Apr 1st 2009 9:51 am

Thanks for the reply. I have so many questions.

1. Did you who through PR process prior to leaving UK?

2. Is it true that New Zealand is also suffering from a recession?

3. Did you contact companies directly? Or did you use a recruitment agent?
Is there a company that you would recommend?

Thanks,
Kari

hosebergine Apr 1st 2009 11:01 am

We are still in the UK - we should get our PR today / tomorrow having had our ITA interview last Friday.

NZ is definitely in recession - I read nzherald.co.nz to keep an eye on news, plus get an update each week from bank of new zealand.

We're going do anything and everything to get work but we're not even starting until we get our flights booked. All recruiters want the date you're going to be in NZ from. We're aiming for July and are taking a pile of cash with us to buy a car and pay for living expenses for at least 6 months without work, just in case. We can take more out of our savings if we need to as well. We're renting our house out in the UK so we don't cut our ties.

We do not feel we could do it without the savings in place (already in our NZ bank account) especially not with one earner and two very young children. That said, if OH doesn't get work for a while I will start looking in my area which is marketing comms. Hope that helps

Kari and Martin Apr 1st 2009 11:50 am

Thanks for the advice. I think I prefer your route. Hopefully I will get a little more sleep now, knowing that I am not expecting the phone to ring.

The long term view feels appropriate. Good luck.

Kari

ukkiwi Apr 1st 2009 5:06 pm

Different to a few years ago when i got an IT job purely on the stregth of a telephone interview.

Its now a good strategy to contact companies direct, search their online vacancies and find direct contacts using tools like linkedin.com. Keep hassling them if you dont get a response. All the major global IT companies operate in NZ so there's plenty of options to try.

Maybe mitigate the risk and take a career break from your UK job and rent out your house?